Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Operation Source

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Re: Operation Source

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:05 pm

swrider wrote:Door faces to the inside of the base it is recessed in about two feet. It will be a hard check upgraded once to break in. I need an average vigilance check with two setbacks for each person in the entrance.

That's an ugly V-check, so the following result for Rob (who's trained in the skill) is not shocking...
Vigilance check: 1eP+1eA+2eD+2eS 0 successes, 3 threat
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

And Tasha's is...
Vigilance check: 2eA+2eD+2eS 1 failure, 2 threat

...as expected.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:22 pm

I think "easy" mission just went out the window; I feel the other shoe dropping.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Go ahead and make your check to unlock the door and let me know when it is the NPCs turn.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: TBD
Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:00 pm

You upgraded the unlock door check, rather than add setbacks, which renders Rob's Bypass Security talent useless. You should only upgrade diffs when you do a DP flip or it's opposed. Is it opposed? (You can tell if someone is altering the "playing field" on you because it acts as if your moves are being anticipated in contrast to merely being reacted to.)
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:28 pm

All security systems in my games have at least 1 upgrade because of the individuals who programed them. They are in effect oppressed checks even though the opposition is not necessary present. There will be setbacks on other checks don't worry.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Skulduggery check: 3eP+2eA+1eC+2eD 1 success, 4 advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tasha, unlike Rob, still has an action remaining after Rob opens the door. Rob also has a 2nd maneuver he can eat strain for, if he needs it. He should have 50% hard cover from anyone inside, unless they're at arm's reach inside and just shove a rifle in his face.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:45 pm

The opened for leads to a hall which extends to your left and right there is no one in the hall.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:48 pm

I can narrate the above in the IC but figured you would like to narrate his success.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Not yet time, quite, for me to write all this up.

When you had me make V-checks I was dreading something like pop-up hidden gun turrets that we missed on our external recon. Or land mines. Shadowrun has made me paranoid. I should shut up now before I give you any ideas.

I think it's time to send a cam-bot in each direction. In one of the few good lines from TPM: "Send a droid".
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 am

If those two are carrying droids then feel free. The droids can each take a maneuver and make a perception check. 2eD+2eS

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:50 am

Perception check: 2#1eA+2eD+2eS 1 success, 2 threat // 1 success, 1 threat
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:10 am

The first droid goes to the left at the end of the hall their is a sharp 90 degree turn. Making the turn the droid sees a door at the end to the right with a keypad. Next to the door is a firing slot exposing the entire corridor to blaster fire while protecting the individual firing. The droid immediately ducks back around the corner but takes two strain as it bounces off a wall in its haste. The 2nd droid does finds the same thing except the door and the hall are both to the left it too suffers a strain as it use thrusts to immediately reverse course getting out of the line of fire.

Since you haven't posted for opening the door I didn't want to post the above result in the IC but you can feel free to use it or to narrate the same info and similar effect in your own words.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:34 am

Threats on a Perception check are supposed to "conceal a vital detail about situation or environment". I only apply strain on non-combat checks if there are no applicable or sensible options for interpreting the results. But I'll gladly suck up the damage, because that's much more favorable to me than having the threats conceal vital information.

Regardless, I never had any intention of setting foot inside that bunker without all of a character's maneuvers and actions being available for use. Tasha and/or Rob going in is something that won't happen until turn #3, at the earliest.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:46 am

The only important information was the protected gun slot. Normally the response would be to fire on the droids but that would have NPCs fireing out of turn.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:01 am

Yeah, a major problem with FFG's system, which kinda breaks the whole narrative/cinematic thing they aim for, is that there's no mechanism for opportunity attacks. It can be added through house rules, of course. I haven't added it to my own game(s), yet, because the situation has yet to come up. In this game it's now come up twice. First with the morons exiting the command bunker (had such a house rule existed then Tasha and Rath would have been able to save poor G2 by reacting to the Imps in lieu of the pilots attacking at the top of the turn), and now again with the Imps unable to shoot the cam-bots despite waiting anxiously for anything to appear so they could shoot it.

FFG has gone "rules lite", and left much for GMs to fill in, if they choose to do so. To me, having to stand by and do nothing because the RAW has no "reaction action" or "reaction maneuver" breaks immersion. Yeah, not having such a mechanism makes the game considerably simpler, but it does exact a price. Having the cam-bots frantically backpedal to avoid coming under fire is cinematic. It is equally cinematic to have them reveal the ambush by getting suddenly shot at (which is what the PCs were expecting/fearing, precisely why they sent droids in first).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:14 pm

With D&D's six second rounds it makes sense to wait until someones turn to respond but even they have reactions. With 1 minute rounds not having reactions is ludicrous.

I will start thinking of a house rule to rectify the situation as it is likely to be a reoccurring problem with this particular game.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm reassured and gratified that you agree with me. But it's not just this game that is bound to have the issue arise again. It's already arisen in my Isk game but I dealt with it narratively. I could do that because in that instance I had the freedom to be able to do so, as it didn't require dice rolls to determine what might happen. The outcome was destined, though the players didn't know it at the time. Far Orbit is very likely to have the situation crop up once opposed boarding actions start taking place. And FoF has a lot of droids, which Ari is not averse to sending ahead as blaster bait.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Are you done with your PCs?

I have two thoughts on oportunity attacks. 1st a character may declar an action during their turn which may occur at another point in the round, but they must declare the action and the circumstances which trigger it. I.e Tasha is watching the south side of the building and will fire if any imperials appear.

The second thought is for things which are unexpected but would normally draw an attack say a pop up trap. In that case a check will be called for weather it be vigilance perception or another as appropriate. Two advantage for a PC can allow them to use their action (if they have one remaining) in response two threat allow the enemy to do likewise.

That is what I am stuck on at this point, but I'm not sure how it will play out.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:41 pm

For unexpected I'd make it 3 advantage, which is what a crit costs for most weapons, and threats if reversed.

I am done with the PCs, but I need to write the turn up IC before you post anything IC yourself.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:45 pm

NP.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Frag Grenade Drops: 2#2eP+1eA+2eB+1eD 1 success, 5 advantage 3 successes, 3 advantage

3 adv from first grenade used to activate blast. 1 to pass boost to next attack and 2 to pass a boost to next grenade attack specifically 1 unused. +1 boost to second attack.

Frag Grenade 2 boots from 1 grenade: 2eB 1 success, 2 advantage 1 Advantage
ImageImage

3 adv to activate blast.
1 advantage to pass a boost to next attack by an imp and 1 lost

I should have put it in the description but one grenade targets each of the PCs in the barracks opening. So one on Rob One on Tasha.

Rob 9-4(soak) = 5 damage 9-4(soak)= 5 damage Total 10 damage.

Tasha 11-4(soak) = 7 damage 7-4(soak) =3 damage Total 10 damage
Last edited by swrider on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:52 pm

"noise of something dropping through a mechanical system"

Think of the noise of a soda dropping from a soda machine.

I am now done with the NPCs for this turn.

Also, I have edited my house rules to include opportunity attacks.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:01 pm

I made a mistake on the amount of advantage it costs to activate blast so the second blue that was passed has been subtracted out. I thought it took 2 advantage but apparently it takes 3.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:54 pm

You've misread the rules. It's 2 on a hit, and 3 on a miss. It is easier to activate Blast when you're on target. Makes sense, eh?

BTW, you ignored the cover that both characters have. They never entered the building. Each attack should have had at least 1 setback. Instead, you applied bonuses(!), on top of attacks that had the benefit of 2 skill ranks, for attacks that could not possibly be aimed from the way you described the mechanism.

Last, but not least, the cam-droids were never given a chance to spot that trap. Both characters had unused maneuvers they could have used to escape the blast zone had they been warned.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:25 pm

1 point thanks for the clarification.

They never entered the building they stood in the recessed entrance where the door was located. The grenade holes were in the sides of that recessed opening. had they moved they would have avoided the trap. The bonuses were for the enclosed area. ... They should have only benefited form one skill rank each which is something I need to go back and edit I missed that on the roll.

The cam droids were deployed down the hall. When they were activated they were given instructions to go down the hall and that is where they looked. They never examined the opening where you were standing as that was not their orders.

Orokos is not letting me log is so I will attempt closing everything out and re rolling that one proficiency die.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context