Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Operation Source

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Operation Source

Postby swrider » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:15 pm

I have a fairly decent first mission laid out, so don't worry too much about the group coming up with their own ideas. If you have one you would like to pursue then feel free to mention it like we discussed in Email.

I look forward to seeing the completed backstories.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light,
Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 2 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 0
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 20

Re: Operation Source

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I completed the first character, Tasha Chance, before I went home (about 12 hours ago) this morning.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:11 pm

I was looking through her backstory. It is very through and interesting. I'm not how how, if, or to what extent I will include it in the story line. reading through the others will give me a better idea and game play itself will help to determine a lot of that.

Character creation is always one of the most difficult parts because you make the most choices which have the most long lasting consequences for the game.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Indeed they do have long-lasting consequences. Significant ones, too. Some of the "random" (not completely random, as I kept rolling until a trait popped that fit with the others and the backstory) personality traits Tasha has will greatly impact how she interacts with others on the team. And, depending upon how long the PCs have known each other (yet to be determined by either you or me), there are traits and bits of her backstory that will affect how the others treat her. Should be ... interesting. Oh, and in case it's not obvious, she hasn't hit 19 yet (though she may be close). She's just a few months younger than Luke and Leia in ANH.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:23 pm

One request when it comes to how long they have known each other. The team leader should have been part of a previous cell which has since been "promoted". Each member of that cell now leads their own cell and they (the original cell members) have more access to the alliance than they did before.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:32 pm

I'll make an effort to work that into Rico's backstory. I stopped Tasha's backstory at ANH, as I didn't want to write up anything post-ANH without having some idea of the backstories of the other three PCs, or if you wanted to have input as to how the PCs meet each other.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Either Rico would have recruited the others or been assigned to them. As for how the others met it is completely up to you.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:49 pm

swrider wrote:Either Rico would have recruited the others or been assigned to them.

Is there any other choice? lol

swrider wrote:As for how the others met it is completely up to you.

Okay. I'll think of something. After I finish the other three. I think that I'll be lucky to get one PC done per day. Even with using tables this backstory stuff is highly time-consuming. But it's fun, too. I would never have created a backstory even remotely like Tasha's were I doing it purely from my own imagination. For starters, I tend to avoid any connection to iconic canon. Tasha's doesn't violate my own "phobia" because any of the iconic characters she knew are all dead. No potential GM headaches. And I wouldn't normally create someone with some psych issues and antisocial tendencies, and certainly not for a 'face'.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:03 pm

LOL. The only other option is that the cell formed interdependently and chose their leader who the rebellion approached. That does not really explain the extra XP though. If you can think of another choice I'll listen. If only because it will really have to be out of the box. One a day is fine. This is, hopefully, the slow part. Once the game gets rolling I hope to have progression, of some sort, most days.

This time period is also allowing me to reacquaint myself with various things about Star Wars and come up with a few ideas of my own.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Well, in the special case of Tasha, Rebel Command would have been aware of her existence as she belonged to Saw's group and Rebel Intelligence kept tabs on Saw. But Saw wasn't in the Rebel structure, and neither was Tasha. And Tasha wouldn't have been significant enough for someone to "hunt" her down and recruit her. The odds of her "stumbling" into other rebel types and them spontaneously forming their own independent cell (like Kanan and Hera from Star Wars Rebels were, before Ahsoka and Bail recruited them) is slim. It could happen, but it's much more likely that the PCs each sought the Rebellion out than the other way around.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:38 am

Shado,
May I use Star-Forge Station as the station they drop the bulk of the group off at. I don't want to have to recreate work for something which may not come into play again, or at least very frequently.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 am

StarForge station is not a Rebel hangout, and there is only one Rebel (secretly) known to be there (in the Lean Nuuti Bar and Grill). That agent is connected to the Rebel High Command (via encrypted comms), but there is no Rebel cell on the station (just the one agent) and no logistical set-up. If you drop the PCs there, they'll have no Rebel support there or means to go somewhere else (without paying more than they can afford, and even so they'd be compromising security by involving some unknown smuggler), unless you provide it.

Having the station be the PC's starting point is not advised. It's not really a good location for anyone important in the Rebel hierarchy to show up at. While the station has 10,000 or so inhabitants, it doesn't get enough traffic for someone to be able to sneak in and out and have no one notice. I'd suggest the Bothan colony at Kothlis. Or Nar Shaddaa. The Hutt moon has an enormous population and a very high volume of ship traffic. It's easy to "get lost" there, and arrive and depart with no one the wiser.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:04 am

The drop off location is only a waiting location for the 3 members of the group. The ship and Rico will be continuing onward to meet with "central". Unknown to any of the PCs but Rico; central is a small command center with a few of the rebel higher ups.

That being said you raise some valid concerns, which the PCs would also have, so I will use one of the other locations or a custom one.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:17 am

Another point I failed to mention is that no one goes to StarForge who doesn't have business of some sort that they wish to conduct on the station. It's difficult to find and get to, for starters, and moves around (it's jump-capable and has ion drives, in case you don't know that). I could see the PCs being dropped off there so that they can acquire special items not to be found in a Rebel armory, but with only 5k their on-hand funds wouldn't go far. At all. Especially since everything at the station has a 25% mark-up over "book".
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Finishing rolling up Rob's background (been distracted by other stuff). Now I just have to wrap a story around all of this and tie it together into something more eloquent than bullet points:
The youngest of four children, Rob was born in 20 BBY on Serenno and later moved to the barren Mid Rim world of Nentan after the death of his mother, where his father eked out a living as the owner of a small bar.

• A Mysterious Stranger (a Jedi sentinel) bestows a gift on the character at birth, a Tusk Cat cub from Naboo.
  • Rob's mother attempted to kill him immediately after birth, but was prevented by the Mysterious Stranger. No justification was given at the time for her behavior.
  • Mother is persecuted for having served in the Separatist army.
  • Mother does not love her children.
  • Father has a patron, a female cousin who is in love with him.
  • An assassin working for Count Dooku kills Count Nalju of Serenno in 19 BBY with an explosive device. Rob and his mother are caught in the blast, his mother being killed and Rob nearly so. Competent plastic surgery gives the character a new face, but he loses the right eye, and damage to his throat causes 30% impairment in his ability to speak, as well as requiring constant use of a breath mask due to lung damage.
  • While foraging in a trash heap, at age 8, the character finds an old encrypted datapad.
  • Beginning in 3 BBY, Rob's family is persecuted by minions of the Empire. One minion in particular becomes a Rival to the character, an ISB agent who fiercely hates him after Rob insulted the agent.
  • Upon reaching adulthood joins Rebels.
  • He doesn't acquire a prosthetic eye until after he joins the Rebels, as he and his family are far too poor to ever scrape up the 1000 credits for even a basic replacement. So he grew up wearing a piratical-looking eyepatch, as he didn't like the discomfort of wearing a "glass" eye.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Rob may have the cybernetic eye of his choice as a reward for his first contribution rank. The one earned prior to the game commencing.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:09 pm

The one that I currently have on his Oggdude sheet (which you don't have the latest version of, sorry) is the 1,000 credit non-cyber prosthetic eye, granted as a "signing bonus" when he join the Rebels. (250-500 credits worth of parts for a Rebel tech to make him an eye is a cheap way for the Rebels to "buy" increased gratitude/loyalty, and it makes him more effective in SpecForce than lacking in depth perception.) But your possibly wonderful and generous offer has me confused. When you use the term "cybernetic" were you referencing the 1,000cr rarity-4 prosthetic, or a 7,500cr rarity-6 model that has enhanced abilities?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:16 pm

There are a few versions of cybernetic eyes. He may choose one. As you pointed out it is cheaper for the rebellion and makes him more effective. Though I did slightly alter the story from signing bonus to reward.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:27 pm

There is one type of prosthetic eye (not listed explicitly as such, but lumped under "prosthetic organs", and is just a functional replacement for an unenhanced human eye) and precisely one type of cybernetic model (that grants +1 to two skills).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Perhaps it is because I am looking in OggDude's generator under cybernetics and not in the books but there appear to be more than two.

Cratala's Vision Cycling Implant.
Cybernetic eyes
Appraiser's Eye
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:36 pm

My bad. I was only looking at the CRBs. That explains much.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 am

How are the characters coming along? I'm just checking in there is no rush ;)
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:16 am

Been busy with sundry other things IRL. Still working on Rob (you might have noticed, if you've refreshed that page since you posted about the cyber eye). I'm aiming to wrap him up today, but it probably won't happen until tonight, at the earliest, given the other stuff going on.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:24 am

I hope everything works out for the best IRL. Like I said there is no hurry, I was just curious.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:51 am

I've done some more rewriting of Rob's backstory (already updated in the online sheet) and am working on the rest of his fluff this morning. I'm targeting finishing him before noon today so that I can devote the afternoon to the next character (Rath Argent).

EDIT: I also just changed Tasha's Motivation from "Cause: Overthrow the Empire" to "Connection: No One", as it fits her backstory much better, and added another sentence to the end of her backstory which ties to the Motivation.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Next

Return to Out of Context