Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Pirate's Bay OOC

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: swrider

Re: Pirate's Bay OOC

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Ari has zilch knowledge of ship handling. I cannot roleplay her giving any specific location to go to. She would order "get us out of here", which could be interpreted as doing a microjump, even if that might be ill-advised. She didn't (as in neglected to because I as a player got distracted and forgot to order it) tell our JC and astromechs to start plotting a return course. Of course, going back might not be the smartest move, either, so I'm not regretting that too much. The freighter might have made calcs. It's not like they had anything better to do as they sat there waiting for rescue. At least before the Imps ... and us ... showed up.

The JC is smart enough to think of someplace to go. But I'd have to ask it to, and then it would have to decide whether to immediately obey a vague order to "get us out of here" against advising us that we should go someplace specific and then suggest the place.

Actually, I just had an idea. Instead of a vague order, Ari can order "plot a jump to the nearest uninhabited system". That's not a microjump, and should still be within the same sector.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:43 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
What is still subject to debate is whether we leave the freighter and jump, or convince the freighter captain to jump NOW, while we're still inside.

Jumping now, inside the ship, would allow our captain and crew to escape. Escaping ourselves leaves them to the wolves. I'd say our characters would escape now in the captain's freighter.
As for our employers, no kidding. "Very displeased" is a polite way of saying "pissed off".

As i recall, we were sent to repair the ship. Got caught up in customs, it happens. Not sure how we pissed anyone off. We saw Imperials, thought the ship was in trouble. Did what we thought was right. Rescued them and repaired them.
DeepSpacer
Level 7

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Now the imperials are looking for that freighter. Have suspicions about the company the freightor is registered to and know if your ship... If they can recover sensor logs. You effectively blew the cover of a major corporation which was, at least partially, supporting the rebellion. This will cause the corrporation a lot of grief and won't make the alliance happy either. Technically you did complete your mission though....
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light,
Op.S Destiny Pool 3 Dark 1 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 0
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:51 pm

I have to ask: did any of us know the corp was an Alliance ally? I don't recall that being mentioned. But my memory is far from perfect.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:59 pm

swrider wrote:Now the imperials are looking for that freighter. Have suspicions about the company the freightor is registered to and know if your ship... If they can recover sensor logs. You effectively blew the cover of a major corporation which was, at least partially, supporting the rebellion. This will cause the corporation a lot of grief and won't make the alliance happy either. Technically you did complete your mission though....
WE didn't know the Imperials were looking for her. Or, that we should be on the lookout for them. Given that, a standard understanding would be that a stopped ship would be in need of rescuing since Imperials are generally bad guys. Or, we could think that some customs inspections would finish without incident. We could have kept our distance and waited out the inspection, which might have been worse.

I guess we could argue that cover was blown already, as they boarded her. The captain might argue that he would've gotten out of it on his own. Perhaps he would have.
DeepSpacer
Level 7

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm

He would have the ship is carrying produce... Their destination is suspect but the imperials had no way to discover that.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Imperials are "the law". We see them as the "bad guys". The overwhelmingly vast majority of the galaxy sees them as "the police". Yes, we could have waited out the inspection. We would have been next to be "inspected". The odds of us passing such an inspection are either good (we have/had no illegal items) or bad (if the Imps want to make up some pretext to harass us).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Before it gets lost, and forgotten, I did mention something about figuring the difficulty to "the nearest uninhabited system".
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:06 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
der "plot a jump to the nearest uninhabited system". That's not a microjump, and should still be within the same sector.

I looked up the difficulty of such a jump using the tables you suggested to me. The abse difficulty of D is increased by 3eD going to an uninhabited sector with a plot time of 1 hour for that difficulty of a jump......

I think the micro jump is the better option.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Then I guess a microjump it is. Now we just have to get the freighter captain to do it.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Freighter navigator: 1eP+1eA+3eD 0 successes
ImageImageImageImageImage
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:38 pm

And Orokos once again {bleeps} us on this mission.

The NPCs could have gotten assistance from our droids on our ship, but they didn't think to ask for help, and we didn't offer. And none of us are on the bridge any longer. {sigh}
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 pm

At least you made the jump... You just don't know where you are now.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Well, the fact that we're having this exact conversation, rather than you announcing that we're starting a new game, means that we're not lost in Otherspace.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:46 pm

swrider wrote:At least you made the jump... You just don't know where you are now.

"We could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end our trip real quick, wouldn't it?"
DeepSpacer
Level 7

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:47 pm

That too.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:Well, the fact that we're having this exact conversation, rather than you announcing that we're starting a new game, means that we're not lost in Otherspace.

Why would I end a game we are all enjoying in such a quick manner.... No worst case Owen was going to be introducing you to stargazer and prakith prison mine.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:07 am

One can end a game and keep the same players. Though I'd've missed dear sweet Ari.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:21 am

That is true and I'm not against everyone ending up dead at some point, but not because of a single NPC roll. I was kinda hoping you all would end up back in prison. It would have been interesting to see how Owen reacted.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:34 am

I'll pass on the escape from prison thing. Done that too many times in too many computer RPGs. Deus Ex (the original), Dishonoured (which did it by far the best), Oblivion. Just to name three off the top of my head. Usually, unless it's the start of a game, tossing PCs into a prison is something that's done because either the players have royally f'd up something (like we just did) or the GM is trying (poorly) to compensate for giving out too many powerful items to a party and the power creep has gotten totally out of his control and he wants to strip the characters back to their skills and not their toys.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:41 am

That is why it was going to be Prakith. Owen and his buddies established a rebel cell operating from within the prison. They already have an escape route and communications with the outside established. IT would have been a bit of a revolving door... though with your reason for being their you would probably have taken on new obligation to the alliance for their help.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:53 am

Ari wouldn't. She's on Duty. But the rest of the PCs, yeah.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:58 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:Ari wouldn't. She's on Duty. But the rest of the PCs, yeah.

Depends on weather she is still a part of the Alliance after this. She might end up getting promoted master sergeant and put in the tool room of some maintenance shop or random administrative office where she can take the Hippocratic oath. First, Do No Harm!
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 am

She did no harm. Not a single soul on the freighter was physically harmed by her or her companions. Reputations and mental anguish, that's another matter. But like Han said, "It's not my fault!" You mislead us. We were expecting pirates, not Imps. And I listened to the bloodthirsty one (Hardnox) rather than the coward (Owyn).

And we accomplished the mission. No one told us we had to play nice. Channeling a Trump tweet: "Unfair! Sad."

BTW, the ranks in ACRB 393 have "senior trooper" as the second slot. That should be "sergeant". Jumping from senior trooper (private) directly to master sergeant, without corporal or even sergeant in between is just plain stupid. The naval ranks also skip any of the intermediate petty officer ranks. In my games I use more enlisted and officer ranks than what's in canon. I also promote more frequently than RAW's jumps due to contribution rank, precisely because I have more ranks in my games. And RAW assumes that all officers are mustangs. I don't.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:26 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
BTW, the ranks in ACRB 393 have "senior trooper" as the second slot. That should be "sergeant". Jumping from senior trooper (private) directly to master sergeant, without corporal or even sergeant in between is just plain stupid. The naval ranks also skip any of the intermediate petty officer ranks. In my games I use more enlisted and officer ranks than what's in canon. I also promote more frequently than RAW's jumps due to contribution rank, precisely because I have more ranks in my games. And RAW assumes that all officers are mustangs. I don't.

It was a joke. Master sergeants are considered the most useless rank in the Army. It is an administrative rank and it is often joked that people get promoted to master sergeant because they cant be fired and they are shoved in a dark whole where they can't cause any problems.

I like the duality of the situations between this and Op.S. Rico in that game did not want to blow the cover of a single light freighter which was assigned to help on a specops mission. Ari blew the cover on a major corporation supporting the alliance while attempting to deliver parts. lol.

In Ari's defense she is just a private.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context