Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Pirate's Bay OOC

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: swrider

Re: Pirate's Bay OOC

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:07 pm

It looks like both active players have been on without making a decision. At this point I am going to advance the narrative tomorrow if there are no IC posts or OOC posts asking that I not. The captain of the freighter will be making important decisions for you with unknown consequences so please consider carefully if that is what you want to happen.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light,
Op.S Destiny Pool 3 Dark 1 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 0
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:15 pm

I haven't posted because I mentioned that, contrary to what's been assumed, the characters are in three separate locations and the GM didn't acknowledge that post, nor did Deep comment on it. The GM's OOC post where he says "The triumph along with Owyn's roll can be used to move the group a little closer to your ship if you would like" I think is based on the erroneous assumption that we were all together.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Ahh ok. Thank you for clarifying I had previously posted a question asking what we were waiting on as I was not sure. The location where the imps are being held has not been permanently fixed so the triumph use still applies they too can be moved closer to your ship if so desired. That does not need to be the use, however, if you have another use then that is fine also.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Well, if Ari & MidDen & AT-ED (bridge), Hardnox & remaining droids (somewhere else), and Eckhal and Owyn (engineering) can all cut the time needed to get to the ship, then that's a fine use for the triumph.

We still do not have a plan. All I've heard is "run like hell". That's not a plan. I'd like some more options. Unfortunately, there are only two players active in this game. You said "Nether MidDen nor Eckhal's goals would be furthered by being hunted by the empire. So they would prefer to not be implicated at this point. Though I believe neither of them have a love of the empire." Ari already knows this. But since their players are missing, we don't get the benefit of additional points of views and ideas. Deep doesn't seem to want to even try diplomacy. (The last time that I listened to Hardnox's POV, I shot the hell out of an ICF, so I'm not so sure that his desire/advice to run now is sound.) Do we have other options besides coming out of the hangar guns blazing?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Sometimes I check an email from the phone, but am not in a position to type a response. Usually, I get time to think before getting home that evening. I believe the PC's get a buzz over the comlink from Ari about Imperial cruiser pulling up. Yeah, we're separated. We're ALL implicated at this point simply by our presence.

I imagine the captain and captured Imperials can save face by saying we were space pirates. It might be advantageous for BOTH to do that. The captured Imperials (especially the officer) might value that over being faced with having to admit they were captured. The ship crew could support it in exchange for safe passage. Heck, they could even say they beat us back into a retreat right before you arrived. Makes themselves look good.

As for OUR motivations, Owyn would choose to flee, Hardnox is up for a fight if there must be one, and our group would likely flee to the ship and leave, if possible. I see nothing gained by staying on this vessel. Out here, we're like goldfish in a pond. On the ship, we're back in our own fishbowl.
DeepSpacer
Level 7

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Not that it matters to any of us, and Ari could care less about him, but that Imp's career is over. The best he can hope for is to not get shot. He surrendered. That's an unforgivable offense in the New Order. He's expected to resist unto death. The "beating us back into a retreat" doesn't work when those 5 Imps are unarmed. We have their weapons (the B1s are carrying them) and I don't intend to give them back.

Now a hostage negotiation is an option we haven't considered. But Imperials have this nasty tendency to sacrifice their own, so I highly doubt it'd work. Are there any other options we haven't considered? So far, running does seem best.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm

the only other option and it is a very long shot would be to radio for alliance help, it is unlikely they would arrive in time to do anything though. If they even came.

Another long shot would be bribing your way out of this mess.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:07 pm

In order to make a bribe, much less succeed, you have to have something of value to the other party. That's an Imperial warship, with not just one character, but a crew of them. Unless you're speaking of bribing the freighter captain?

Asking the Alliance for help probably wouldn't matter unless the freighter's shields and hull combined makes this ship impervious to their attack. I don't think that's the case. We wouldn't last long enough for help to arrive, unless the Rebels were already just minutes away. The odds of that are more or less ... astronomical. (pun intended)
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:Sometimes I check an email from the phone, but am not in a position to type a response. Usually, I get time to think before getting home that evening.

your good. you are both good. I just had a really annoying week last week at work and it is continuing into this week and my patience level has dropped. I shouldn't take it out on you guys, and I apologize. I just didn't want us to get into a situation where we were all waiting on each other as it appears Shado was waiting on me.

As I said it was a long shot. Though I can think of at least one thing of value to the empire but Ari would never do it and you would likely be shot anyways.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:11 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
We wouldn't last long enough for help to arrive, unless the Rebels were already just minutes away. The odds of that are more or less ... astronomical. (pun intended)

Well you do have 4 destiny points available.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Yeah. That "thing of value" is Ari herself. You're right, that's not happening.

As for burning DPs to pull a miracle, I think we have a better chance to just have the freighter jump, assuming its engines are now working. That (sorta) resolves the immediate problem for both ships (by kicking the 'can' down the 'street', as it were).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:18 pm

I was actually thinking about your rebel contacts.

Yes all the repairs to the ship were complete before arrival. it was only the reprogramming that was keeping you there long enough for the Imperials to arrive.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

arrival...

Postby DeepSpacer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Well, we'd LEAVE their weapons in the ship. By the time we left and the new Imperials arrived on-ship, they'd have their weapons and a story to tell. Pirates landed during a customs inspection, disabled their ship, they boarded, we fought them back into a retreat. They save face and the captain saves his behind. Otherwise, the ship captain of our freighter is in a world of hurt. As it IS, I am not so sure the captain would LET us leave his ship since he is the one left "holding the bag" , so to speak. Why would he let US go?
DeepSpacer
Level 7

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:33 pm

The reprogramming is what delayed us? How long was that supposed to take, out of curiosity? (As typical, FFG AFAIK provides no guidance, unlike Saga Edition, on how long computer tasks take.)
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Not sure if you intended it this way, swrider, but it plays to be quite a conundrum. one I might borrow to use one day. This captain is DONE if the Imperials come. That is, unless he makes a jump before being boarded. And tractor beams don't come into play.
DeepSpacer
Level 7

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:38 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:The reprogramming is what delayed us? How long was that supposed to take, out of curiosity? (As typical, FFG AFAIK provides no guidance, unlike Saga Edition, on how long computer tasks take.)

You had about 15 minutes left be they were scheduled to arrive. The scope of the changes would have exceeded that. Remember I originally said to not even will but then recanted because a triumph or lot of success may have helped with a bluff.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:Not sure if you intended it this way, swrider, but it plays to be quite a conundrum. one I might borrow to use one day. This captain is DONE if the Imperials come. That is, unless he makes a jump before being boarded. And tractor beams don't come into play.

Nope player actions and dice rolls have determined this encounter. All I did was interpret dice and act as the imps would.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:41 pm

The Imps don't have a tractor beam, but that's OOC info for us.

PS - pale blue text on pale blue background is an eye-straining combo. So are a lot of combos, for that matter, which is why you sometimes see me edit people's posts to change their color choices.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:43 pm

swrider wrote:
DeepSpacer wrote:Not sure if you intended it this way, swrider, but it plays to be quite a conundrum. one I might borrow to use one day. This captain is DONE if the Imperials come. That is, unless he makes a jump before being boarded. And tractor beams don't come into play.

Nope player actions and dice rolls have determined this encounter. All I did was interpret dice and act as the imps would.

Well, I'm not sure what the original feeling was by the Captain and whether we 'ruined' their customs inspection. They may have been ready to set the ship free again before we ruined it. Or, we came just in time to rescue them. By the captain's described body language, I'd say it was the former. Now? He's left with angry Imperials when we leave (IF we can leave).
DeepSpacer
Level 7

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:The Imps don't have a tractor beam, but that's OOC info for us.

PS - pale blue text on pale blue background is an eye-straining combo. So are a lot of combos, for that matter, which is why you sometimes see me edit people's posts to change their color choices.

You are assuming it is stock... Which it is, but you are still assuming.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:52 pm

As he said, player actions and dice rolls. To be specific, the action(s) were attacking the ICF. And, other than that, the reason we're where we're at now is the combination of several crappy rolls, and deciding to remove trace of our actions (also a player action). None of it was GM directed. It's consequences. I understand such things. In my own games I'm always harping on how player actions (and roll results) have consequences. Some aren't immediately apparent. We've had that happen before, witness the events involving my beloved 3PX.

And it's a fairly safe assumption, since Imperials modify ships exceedingly rarely. It's the New Order, emphasis on Order. Having non-standard ships is ... disorderly.

But I also recognize, as I said, that it's OOC info. Ari has no familiarity with this model of Imperial vessel, so she's also not aware that it sports ion cannons as its primary armament. She's assuming turbolasers (which it also doesn't have).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:08 pm

It sounds like the plan if to try and run for it by jumping to be hyperspace. If that is the idea then I need to look up the difficulty for such a check.

Once you survive this encounter the long term consequences we'll begin to set in. Your two main sources of employment are going to be very displeased.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:16 pm

The difficulty for a micro jump is 3eD. You will not be able to make a follow-up jump for an hour after the micro jump. It will take you somewhere within the same sector.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:21 pm

What is still subject to debate is whether we leave the freighter and jump, or convince the freighter captain to jump NOW, while we're still inside.

As for our employers, no kidding. "Very displeased" is a polite way of saying "pissed off".

As for a jump destination, a microjump is harder than picking some non-random location, like a planet. Microjumps are used when you need to get away quick and don't have the time to complete a normal calc. Or you're trying to throw off pursuit.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:28 pm

If you tell me where I'll calculate the difficulty... But your description of a micro jump is pretty spot on for your situation.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context