Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Far Orbit Project (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Re: Far Orbit Project (OOC)

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Lol, derp. Meant for him to check those alerts, and also look for anything interesting in the sector we are in. I'll edit my post. I derped hard.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:14 pm

swrider wrote:Shado do you want to post the arrival of the captain or should I be doing that? Either is fine I just don't want to assume control of NPCs

You. You're controlling the troopers, too. Well, the two that you "filched".
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Oh, and the holoprojector is in the main room, not the smaller one.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Ah, ok, the image looked like there was a screen in the smaller room.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Don't confuse flatscreens with holoprojectors. It's built into the center of the long table.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Yeah, I forget that the internet in Star Wars is 3-D only, seemingly.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 pm

That's okay, I keep forgetting that there's no wifi or bluetooth in SW.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:51 am

It's going to take Willak a few minutes to get to the bridge, so please continue until enough conversation/actions have taken place that I can insert a post for Willak. It wouldn't make sense for me to post for Willak now, while Killiri is still dealing with Brenko, when Willak's arrival is still in Killiri's future.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 am

Killiri is a "command-level" officer. Brenko is not.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:Killiri is a "command-level" officer. Brenko is not.

Really, the only command level officers are the Captain and the XO? OK
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: TBD
Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:14 am

What, you were expecting Star Trek, where anyone can ask the computer about sensitive information? Or where engineers and shrinks can command ships?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:16 am

Huh, guess I forgot how different from Star Trek the Empire was :P

Alright, swrider, ideas for what Brenko should do?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby swrider » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am

Nope, but the third in command is not that far down the chain. It is not unlikely on a warship that both the captain and xo would be incapacitated or occupied. Adding a third level down decreases the chances of that considerably.

The term command-level suggests those who have command of the ship basically those officers who rotate the command seat during the various shifts. All that being said I am not opposed to need to know and ships staffing levels and readiness is about as sensitive of information as it gets.

@ Doc. nope other than return to the bridge. He could try to start organizing the non-wounded, but from what we have seen their individual commands are handling that quite well.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:30 am

There are two other terms that are significant. One is "line" officers. Rider should be familiar with this term already. It's officers that are in the chain of command. Aboard a naval vessel, it's officers that can assume command of the ship if there are no other more senior (line) officers capable of doing so. A doctor can't, because a doctor is not a line officer. Another term, that Rider is likely unfamiliar with because it only applies in the Navy, is "watch stander". Which is what it sounds like. Watchstanders are exclusively line officers. Brenko is a watch stander. They pull officer of the deck (conn) or junior officer of the deck duties, for example. A watchstander is what Rider is thinking that a command-level officer is. But that's not so. The only command-level officers are the CO and XO. In Trek, it was anyone of Commander rank or higher (except TOS, where Scotty was command-level). These are the officers with the self-destruct codes.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 am

OK, so Killiri can order the droids to comply, correct?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:37 am

Correct. But he shouldn't. Think about it, and you should understand why not. Ask yourself these questions: "Are they doing their jobs? Are tasks being accomplished efficiently? If I was the department head would I appreciate my boss sticking his nose in and changing how I run my department?"
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:38 am

Point.

Then I guess Brenko has nothing to do, since he's gunnery.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:45 am

Of course in the real world (and in many SF stories, even in Trek) it is often the case that senior officers do "meddle". They have their own ideas about how things should be run and they damn well make sure that their subordinates do things "my way" (which they usually consider to be "the right way"). These senior officers make the existence of their juniors miserable (at best, at worst a living hell) and frequently don't last long because they're often also inept themselves.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:48 am

Getting the Captain treatment is one thing, as it is absolutely essential. Forcing a droid to stop treating or evaluating injured to look up data... that is another. I asked because i figured the droid performing triage would have a running count which it probably does, but now that we know it is on the system no need to pester the droid any further. Brenko already wants to shoot if for doing its job.

Shado we did not use those terms in the army when i was in. We had command officers, those who were pursing a command path and technical officers (those focused on a specific specialty outside of command Doctors, Scientists ETC...), and warrant officers. What you refer to as line officers we simply called the chain of command.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:55 am

The Navy and the Army are not run the same. Very different cultures and traditions. Oh, and you're wrong on the droid doing triage. It wouldn't know about patients dying behind its back. It can only tell you how many casualties its recorded, not their current status. Please recall that there's no wifi in SW, so the droid would have to be continuously, or at least frequently, jacked-in to keep current. But that's not its job during a mass casualty event. Its job is managing triage and doing diagnosis. And it has no built-in comm device. Not unless it's been modified from stock, which it hasn't.

I figured that it would annoy you. I did warn you beforehand that things would not go smoothly. ;)
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:00 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
The Navy and the Army are not run the same. Very different cultures and traditions. Oh, and you're wrong on the droid doing triage. It wouldn't know about patients dying behind its back. It can only tell you how many casualties its recorded, not their current status. Please recall that there's no wifi in SW, so the droid would have to be continuously, or at least frequently, jacked-in to keep current. But that's not its job during a mass casualty event. Its job is managing triage and doing diagnosis. And it has no built-in comm device. Not unless it's been modified from stock, which it hasn't.

I figured that it would annoy you. I did warn you beforehand that things would not go smoothly. ;)

I never thought they would. I was expecting this conversation to play out very much the way it did. I was just expecting that it would be between the doctor and Brenko. For some reason i thought the medical droids were little square boxes with medical attachments not androids... I don't know where I got that idea.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Is there a system Brenko can log into to find a basic status and what areas may need assistance. For example are there any departments that are not reporting in or who do not have any uninjured officers?

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 pm

That's actually part of Roda's job. The XO is a combo COO and personnel manager. Killiri should already have that info, or he's not doing his job. Each department head is responsible for knowing the status of the equipment and personnel in their department. And then report such to the XO when the XO or CO asks for it, or to report problems when they arise. Brenko himself is department chief for gunnery. The information you're asking about as a player is in people's heads. Not in a computer. You can check the computer to get a status of ship's systems, but not personnel.

BTW, as an aside, Lieutenant Ving, Chief of Quarters, is basically the equivalent of a hotel's housekeeping manager. His responsibility is the ship's spaces. The quarters, mess halls, galleys, corridors, etc.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Send Brenko to help with Lieutenant Ving, is that a good idea? Not in charge, but help with the effort, since we need every man we can get to get the ship back into shape and organized?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:09 pm

There are mouse droids for that sort of crap. Or deckhands, once the mass casualty situation is resolved. At the moment you have an understaffed and underequipped medical frigate too full of patients, that's stranded in space.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context