Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Vendri Koruk (Far Orbit Project)

Initial Character concepts can be posted here prior to a new game's sub-forum being created.

Moderator: GameMasters

Vendri Koruk (Far Orbit Project)

Postby FeBommel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Vendri Koruk, Toydarian Black-market Dealer

“What do you say, commander? The ship carrying your Corellian Whiskey and Banta Steaks was raided by pirates? Ah, that’s bad. On, the other hand, this is your lucky day, eh? At least my freighter got through and as it happens there is a load of Corellian Whiskey on board. Banta Steaks as well as I can remember.”…”Ah, don’t worry about the payment, good sir. Vendri Koruk knows that an Imperial commanders pay is much too small. But Gentlemen like us always find a solution, eh? Surely nobody will miss the concussion missiles in your weapon storage and I’ve got the gut feeling that the demand for them on the pirate, err, I mean of course private sector will rise after this attack. People will want to guard their ships, I presume.” – Vendrik Koruk to a corrupt Imperial officer.

Career: Explorer
Specialization: Trader
Experience: Starting XP: 100 (90XP + 10XP for additional 10 obligation) / Total XP: 100 / Unspent XP: 0
Characteristics: Brawn 1, Agility 1, Intelligence 2, Cunning 3, Willpower 3, Presence 4
Wound Threshold: 0/10, Strain Threshold: 0/15, Soak: 2 (1 + 1 for armor), Defense: 0/0, Encumbrance: 5/6
General Skills: Charm 1, Cool 1, Deception 1, Negotiation 1, Perception 1, Streetwise 1, Survival 1
Combat Skills: -
Knowledge Skills: Outer Rim 1, Underworld 1
Talents: Wheel and Deal (rank 1)

Equipment

Gear: 1 Datapad (75Cr), 1 Comlink(handheld) (25Cr), 2 Ration Packs (2x5Cr=10Cr), 1 Stimpack (25Cr), 1 Glow Rod (10Cr), 1 Bottle of Whyren’s reserve Corellian Whiskey (100Cr)
Armor: 1 Heavy Clothing (50Cr) – long coat + battered black top hat
Weapons: 1 Holdout Blaster (200Cr)
Money: 5Cr

Appearance

Height: 1.21m
Build: average
Skin Colour: greyish-blue
Eyes: grey

Vendri is hovering over everything. He can often be seen wringing his hands, especially after a good trade deal. He is a fairly common Toydarian. His only remarkable feature is the old and battered top hat on his head. He can only rarely seen without it.

Personality

“Some heavy blaster rifles? Yae know that the Empire forbade all blaster weapons on this planet, don’t yae? Well, if you’re ready to pay a little extra, good old Vendri will look what he can find, eh?” – Vendri to a potential client

Vendri’s conscience can be summarized quite easily – he has none. All that counts for him is money (or gold, stock shares and so forth). Vendri trades almost anything with anyone and is a familiar face in almost any black-market deal in the Ado sector. His usual clients are pirates, rebel cells and smugglers but Vendri deals with the Empire as well. His primary business fields are black-market weapons and luxury goods, but Vendri can procure almost anything else as well.

But even someone like him knows limits to his greed: Vendri won’t deal with drugs or slaves unless someone would make him a very favourable offer, of course.

He doesn’t like the Empire but that does not hinder him having excellent connections to certain bribable Imperial officials. In truth, he has a little soft spot in his heart for the ragtag rebel cells he supplies. For example he only charges them double instead of triple or more…

Story

Vendri Koruk was born on Toydaria. As soon as he was off-age, he made it off planet to make his fortune. Soon he could be found negotiating black-market deals. Over the years, he specialized in illegal weapons and luxury items. In the last years, he concentrated his activities more and more on the Ado sector, as several rebel cells tried to exploit the light Imperial presence.

Only weeks before the Far Orbit arrived at StarForge Station, he was a rich man: he commanded several trade starships, had connections to almost everyone in the sector and made his transactions undisturbed by Imperial patrols, thanks to several bribed officers.

All went well and a bright future awaited Vendri until a weapons deal on Eiattu 6 went south. He had pulled together his complete fleet and even borrowed several other freighters to deliver a gigantic shipment of grade-A proton torpedos to some rebels when Imperial Storm troopers stormed the hide-out. Unknown to Vendri, the Imperial officer responsible for the control of the region with whom Vendri had an “understanding”, had been arrested on charges of bribery and corruption only hours ago. His successor wasted no time when a suspicious group of starships entered the planet’s atmosphere.

Vendri was lucky things didn’t turn out worse. One of his freighters, his first ship named the Cut My Own Throat, was quite old and the engine had problems restarting again. Thanks to this coincidence, the ion engines were still running when the Imperials showed up and Vendri was busy in the ship’s cargo hold. Once he realized what was happening, he made his way to the cockpit and pulled the ship up, only narrowly escaping the Imperial TIE-Fighter patrols.

But things turned from bad to worse when he arrived back at StarForge Station: The moment he touched the ground, he learned that his former business partners had not only impounded all his holdings but the Cut My Own Throat he had arrived in as well.

Now he has only his clothes and a few worthless personal items left. The only thing of worth he could hide from his deputies was a bottle of an expensive Corellian whiskey.

The moment the rumors concerning the Far Orbit reached him, he knew that this ship was his only chance. His mind was already busy calculating the sums a privateering warship could raid and claim. A job on the Far Orbit is probably his best and only chance to get a lot of money quickly. On top of that, as long as he’ll be on that ship, he should be safe from his creditors…

Obligation

Debt 20 – Vendri owes quite a lot of money to his former business partners after a black-market weapons deal went south.

Duty

Resource Acquisition 0 – As a former black-market weapons dealer, Vendri has no problems organizing everything a privateering warship and her crew could need

Morality

Ambition / Greed

Motivation

Ambition – Greed - Vendri wants and need to make a lot of money quickly. If he can help the Rebel alliance while pursuing his goals, that would be even better.
Last edited by FeBommel on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playing as Dr. Bria Tannen, Taamos Selkant and Kareth Dune in ShadoWarrior's Far Orbit Project.
FeBommel
Level 1

Re: Vendri Koruk (Far Orbit Project)

Postby FeBommel » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:50 am

I just got an idea how Vendri could have landed a job on the Far Orbit:

"Once Vendri realised the chances offered by the Far Orbit, he used his contacts to the Rebel cell on StarForge Station. He had the reputation as a reliable buisness man, even if his goods were known to be quite expensive. Many Rebel missions would have failed without Vendri's deliveries, there were even times when only his goods and wares had saved a local Rebel cell. Knowing the worth of Vendri's haggling skills and contacts, the cell's leader was only to happy to introduce Vendri to the Far Orbit's command crew..."
Playing as Dr. Bria Tannen, Taamos Selkant and Kareth Dune in ShadoWarrior's Far Orbit Project.
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:47 am

There isn't a "Rebel cell" on the station. There's a Rebel sympathizer. An important (and large) difference. And Vendri would not know this person (the Ithorian at the Lean Nuuti bar and Grill), as the individual just passes information to the Rebels (from time to time).

In point of fact, Vendri has no confirmed Rebel contacts whatsoever, since Rebels typically keep their affiliation a closely-guarded secret (if they wish to live more than a few days). At best, Vendri may have business contacts whom he might suspect are Rebel sympathizers (for any number of reasons: be it dislike of the Empire, or trafficking in arms and equipment that seem to not be going to known criminals, or whatever).

As far as joining the Far Orbit, he'll have learned about the opportunity the same way that everyone else has: when Vedij made the announcement, and set up a "recruiting station". Vendri doesn't get the way paved for him; he gets no introduction or recommendation. As far as it goes, you'll be making a "cold call" sales pitch. In this case, selling yourself.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby FeBommel » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:54 am

Ok, no problem. It was just an idea that struck my mind.
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:42 pm

I'd advise you to take an additional 5 Obligation and use it to spend 5xp on the Wheel and Deal talent (a major reason why he might be hired). Or Know Somebody.

I will point out that playing a non-human, especially one that's not even humanoid, is going to cause him difficulties with the all-human ex-Imperial mutineer crew. Bear in mind that they've been raised in an intolerant culture and indoctrinated to be at the very least suspicious of all aliens, if not outright hostile to them.

That said, the character is approved, though I do strongly suggest you take my advice regarding additional Obligation and the recommended talents.

Whether he can get hired is entirely another matter.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby FeBommel » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:20 am

Thank you!
I took your advice and purchased the Wheel and Deal talent for 5 additional obligation.
I updated his character sheet in the dropbox file.
I hope that he manages to get hired. I've got the concept of an ex-Separatist-turned-Rebel Quartermaster lurking in my mind as a replacement character in case Vendri won't get hired.
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:31 am

FeBommel wrote:I've got the concept of an ex-Separatist-turned-Rebel Quartermaster lurking in my mind as a replacement character in case Vendri won't get hired.

Personally, asides from species, I also like to see a face character with better Negotiation, but it's your character and not mine.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby FeBommel » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:42 am

I'll post a concept for Kereth Dune, Human Quartermaster. I'll drop Vendri for him if Kereth fits better in the campaign's setting.
FeBommel
Level 1

Return to Character Review