Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Trial By Fire - Escape From Mos Shuuta (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Trial By Fire - Escape From Mos Shuuta (OOC)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Roles:
  • Face - Presence; Charm + Negotiation ... Fabrizzo Rinaldi (Rakaydos) {ready-to-play}
  • Tech - Intellect; Computers + Mechanics ... Garr (ennervance) {ready-to-play}
  • Rogue - Cunning; Skulduggery ... Argon Helix (swrider) {ready-to-play}
  • Medic - Intellect; Medicine ... Uqoza Netul (Yepesnopes) {ready-to-play}
  • Ace Pilot - Agility; Piloting (Space) ... Gand (Cael) {ready-to-play}
  • Close-combat - Brawl; Melee ... Fabrizzo Rinaldi (Rakaydos) {ready-to-play}
  • Gunner - Agility; Gunnery + Ranged (Heavy) ... Inyri Fortrin (MuttonchopMac) {ready-to-play}
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Trial By Fire - Escape From Mos Shuuta (OOC)

Postby Rakaydos » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:21 pm

Twinned is a equipment mod that reduces the advantage cost to hit with a second, also twinned, weapon (while 2 weapon fighting) by 1. It is 300c for both weapons being Twinned, and takes 1 hardpoint from each weapon. (Weapons dont have to be identical, or even the same type; they specifically call out vibrosword+pistol as a legal option)

Improved Quick Draw lets me use quick draw twice a round (IE- two pistols as incidentals)
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby MuttonchopMac » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:22 pm

Gosh, even Thespius and Teknon were around here a bit? Saga Edition's crowd lingered on, I guess.

I was looking at playing a Stormtrooper who deserted from the Imperial Legion after the destruction of Alderaan, and as such I was looking at the AoR Soldier career with the Sharpshooter specialization. Should I instead be looking strictly at EotE careers, or can I make an AoR character with Obligation instead of Duty?
MuttonchopMac
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Duty is for Rebel characters. I don't have a problem with you playing an ex-Imp, or even replacing Duty with Obligation for such a PC even though you'd be using the AoR career and trees. The problem comes in that it seems to me that such a person would go from being an Imp straight to being a Rebel, instead of just being a non-aligned deserter. Perhaps I'm not being broad-minded enough, I don't know. I'm open to the concept.

Just so you know, the character would not be starting with the restricted gear that s/he had as a buckethead.

As for Thespius and Teknon, they were both in my (defunct) EotE group. Teknon had to quit gaming entirely due to personal/family reasons, and a couple of months later Thespius just vanished and stopped responding to messages. There are (were?) other people here from Saga-Edition.com, but until I formed this new group, this board was essentially dead, as you can see from looking at the other games and last post dates. There are other people who I recognize from Saga-Edition.com and/or d20radio on the FFG forums, but none that were in any of my games at Saga-Edition.com.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Rakaydos » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:53 pm

I put up three different character concepts, though the rich noble is the only one who's gotten critique yet. Any thoughts on the mechanic droid who has trouble finding parts for himself? or the gunslinger with no cunning?
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:19 pm

I only critiqued the noble because he was the first character that you put up, and I spotted crunch-related things that needed fixing before you posted the other two concepts.

The droid couldn't "still under contract" and be a part of a typical EotE PC group (unless another PC owned him, and that's not going to be allowed). I have never created (or seen played) a PC droid in EotE, so I haven't begun to review that character, and I won't review him unless that's the character that you actually choose to play. The bit from his backstory just stood out.

I'm not going to comment on the gun-bunny unless that's the character that you actually choose to play.

Which character you choose is up to you and the rest of the play group. My comments at this time would unduly influence decisions.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Rakaydos » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Hmm... I would think the droid could be under contract to whatever corporation is footing the bill for our explorations. but if that's a problem I could rework the story.

Edit:
As for the new OP, I've got a Face with a touch of Melee, a Tech/melee combo, and a pilot who is really good with pistols.
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:51 pm

There is no corp footing a bill, since the party isn't starting as explorers. I haven't (yet) posted the crawl for Escape From Mos Shuuta (I'll do so in a bit), but once you read it you'll see that the reason why the party is together and how each of you met one another won't jive with being explorers. Sorry. The group can decide to become explorers later on, but you won't start that way.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby MuttonchopMac » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:57 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:Duty is for Rebel characters. I don't have a problem with you playing an ex-Imp, or even replacing Duty with Obligation for such a PC even though you'd be using the AoR career and trees. The problem comes in that it seems to me that such a person would go from being an Imp straight to being a Rebel, instead of just being a non-aligned deserter. Perhaps I'm not being broad-minded enough, I don't know. I'm open to the concept.

I was thinking that s/he (undecided) left after Alderaan's destruction, but has seen a darker side of the Rebellion in the form of true terrorists. Maybe a loved one or family was killed in the attack. Said terrorists may not have even been acting under orders from the Alliance, however. They may have just been radicals, but it left him/her distrustful of the Alliance, though not as distrustful as s/he is of the Empire.

As a skeptic of both sides, this character would gravitate to the fringe, and only have the skill set of an enforcer. I'm not entirely sure of the plot of Escape from Mos Schuuta, but if s/he's working as a thug for a crime lord or some such thing, that could be another lifestyle gone sour that the character wants to ditch.

Or, to keep things simple, he could have just deserted due to conflict with a superior that would have earned him a court marshal. "The orders were karking suicide, and all the higher-ups knew it." Doesn't believe in the Empire and is out to protect his own skin and as such, doesn't want to get mixed up with the Rebel Alliance.

I'm not totally sold on the idea, so I might see what other people are tossing out. What is the basic group premise for Escape from Mos Schuuta?

ShadoWarrior wrote:Just so you know, the character would not be starting with the restricted gear that s/he had as a buckethead.

Oh of course. Standard issue Imperial gear would raise eyebrows like nobody's business.
MuttonchopMac
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:57 pm

MuttonchopMac wrote:Or, to keep things simple, he could have just deserted due to conflict with a superior that would have earned him a court marshal. "The orders were karking suicide, and all the higher-ups knew it." Doesn't believe in the Empire and is out to protect his own skin and as such, doesn't want to get mixed up with the Rebel Alliance.
^ This seems best.

MuttonchopMac wrote:What is the basic group premise for Escape from Mos Schuuta?
I've put the crawl up in the game's IC topic/thread. If for some odd reason the dropbox doesn't work, you may also view the same from the source on YouTube here. The following contains the portion of the crawl that answers your question:
Spoiler:
On the desert world of TATOOINE, a few such
renegades have run afoul of a local crime boss,
TEEMO THE HUTT. Trapped in the tiny spaceport of
Mos Shuuta, the renegades have no choice but to
steal a starship and flee Teemo's forces.
Fortunately, a suitable starship has recently
docked at the landing bay: a freighter called the
KRAYT FANG, captained by a Trandoshan slaver
named Trex. As they flee through the suns-baked
streets, the renegades duck into the local cantina
to hide from their pursuers...
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Yepesnopes » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:21 am

Hi all!

First of all I would like to know if when you said no force sensitive character it means no force sensitive character ever, or just no character that starts as force sensitive.

Given that the answer is the former (no force sensitive ever), then I would like to play a Trandoshan who used to be head of security for a crime lord until he deserted for whatever (moral) reason I still have to come with and he left for the outer-rim. I even was considering having him already enroled in the Rebellion by having half obligation half duty (Han Solo style). The character will start as a Marauder with Coercion as social skill.

On the other hand, if the answer is the second, I would like to play with a human with one of the following proposed roles Face, Tech /Medic, or Rogue and at some point buy the Force sensitive exile (EotE) or the Force sensitive emergent (AoR).
Yepesnopes
Level 2

Postby Rakaydos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:40 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:There is no corp footing a bill, since the party isn't starting as explorers. I haven't (yet) posted the crawl for Escape From Mos Shuuta (I'll do so in a bit), but once you read it you'll see that the reason why the party is together and how each of you met one another won't jive with being explorers. Sorry. The group can decide to become explorers later on, but you won't start that way.

*grumbles* this is why I wanted to skip the "in debt to a hutt" starting mission if we wernt going to stick to it. More groop flexibility.

But I was overruled.

So... how much "off the rails" are you prepared to handle for Escape from Mos Shuta?
Can we attempt to tweak the scenerio setup to better fit our group? (IE, figure out why teemo is sending goons after us, and why we're on planet in the first place?)
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:33 pm

Yepesnopes wrote:u said no force sensitive character it means no force sensitive character ever

No FS in this EotE game, period. I will run a new PbP that allows FS, but that won't be until after FFG releases F&D in non-beta. FFG makes too many changes between beta and release and I'd prefer to wait until the FS rules settle down a bit more.

Just as a heads-up, my next new PbP will be AoR (no FS in that one either), followed by an AoR-based Far Orbit Project conversion from WEG which I'm still working on. I'd already converted and started running Far Orbit for d20 Saga a couple of years ago, but that PbP died when the board it was hosted shut down. Converting d6 to FFG is considerably more tedious than d6 to d20. My 4th new FFG-based PbP will be the one that permits FS characters.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Rakaydos wrote:So... how much "off the rails" are you prepared to handle for Escape from Mos Shuuta?
Can we attempt to tweak the scenario setup to better fit our group? (IE, figure out why Teemo is sending goons after us, and why we're on planet in the first place?)

Absolutely! I expect the players to develop why they are on Tatooine as part of their backstories. And I also expect considerably more detailed background write-ups than what has been posted so far. Everyone should look at the characters that were created for my previous Trial By Fire game to get an idea of the minimum detail that I expect. As an incentive, I award a modest amount of bonus XP for particular good background writing. I also suggest that those of you that are spelling-challenged enable automatic spell-checking in their browser, or get a spell-checking add-on (or switch to a decent browser and quit using Internet Exploder). As Muttonchop can attest to, I'm more than a bit anal about having to read badly-written text.

Also, as Muttonchop can attest to, I strongly advise everyone to get into the habit of discussing the game amongst yourselves, either in this thread or via PMs or email, just as players would chat around a table-top game. If you players don't coordinate and cooperate, you'll fail. Ditto in regards to asking me questions. You can never ask too many. But you'll fail miserably if you're clueless. Again, ask Muttonchop how serious I am about this. He's experienced it all too well.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Rakaydos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:45 pm

So, what are people's thoughts of-

A fairly rich noble is looking for backing to conduct an exploration of the Outer Rim. Teemo invited him and several potential teammates to discuss the matter at Mos Shuuta, but negotions fell through. Rather spectacularly so, in fact- as the group leaves Teemo's palace, they see gammorians running after them with weapons...
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:10 pm

Rakaydos wrote:Rather spectacularly so, in fact- as the group leaves Teemo's palace, they see gammorians running after them with weapons...

This part won't work. Based on LAotH, you would never have made it out of Teemo's palace as starting characters. Too many opponents and they are all out of your league. Pissing off Teemo while in his lair would be immediate suicide.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Rakaydos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:29 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Rakaydos wrote:Rather spectacularly so, in fact- as the group leaves Teemo's palace, they see gammorians running after them with weapons...

This part won't work. Based on LAotH, you would never have made it out of Teemo's palace as starting characters. Too many opponents and they are all out of your league. Pissing off Teemo while in his lair would be immediate suicide.

so, negotiations break down because teemo was demanding too large a cut, the aristocrat calls the explorers to the cantina for a private meeting, Teemo gets word, and sends goons to break everyone's shins.
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:34 pm

You're already running through the streets of Mos Shuuta, fleeing Teemo's goons, before you see the cantina ... as per the crawl.

So, to be perfectly clear, you all have pissed Teemo off - while not in his lair - and prior to spotting the cantina as a place to evade/ambush your pursuers.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Rakaydos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:44 pm

...that really narrows the options, doesnt it. I mean, the pregen characters the crawl was written for were teemo's employees making a break for it, which meant that the act of LEAVING the palace was what pissed teemo off, and guards following them to the cantina makes perfect sence.

Does anyone else have ideas of how to fit teemo's ire between the crawl and the cantina? If noone else has any ideas, would that be enough of a crowbar to edit the crawl? (in such a way that the adventure as written is still valid, of course.)
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:03 pm

The backstory to the pre-gen character Pash explains why Teemo is pissed at the pre-gen group. Nowhere in any of the pre-gen backstories does it say that the group was inside Teemo's palace.

Teemo became pissed shortly after Pash landed, when Pash's ship, which Teemo had loaned him the money to acquire, was sold off without Pash having the courtesy of informing Teemo in advance. Of course, it is very likely that Teemo would have killed or at least enslaved Pash had Pash been foolish enough to be within Teemo's palace at the time that Teemo found out that his investment was sold off. Thus Pash sold the wrecked ship, and knowing that Teemo would be out for his blood, ran and got some others to give him a hand.

This player group using different characters can still use this same reason as to why they're fleeing. One of the PCs, whomever is the pilot type, puts into his/her backstory the portion of Pash's backstory that trigger Teemo's wrath. The pilot PC then contacted another PC, who in turn is connected to another PC, et cetera. Of course, the adventure, as written, was designed for only four PCs and not a group of six, so a few adjustments will be needed.

Or you can devise an entirely different background as to why Teemo is pissed off. Whatever you prefer.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Rakaydos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:17 pm

Lowric and 48 Vex are at least implied to be from inside teemo's palace, as they are the arena gladiator and arena medic, and IIRC the arena is inside the palace.
Oskara is a bounty hunter for Teemo who has effectivley betrayed him, and explicitly "is now fleeing teemo's revenge." (end of paragraph 3)

Any way we manage it, though, none of us can start writing our stories until we know who hooks into Teemo, which means SOMEONE needs to volunteer to have a pissed off hutt in their backround.

It doesnt work for my char concept #1, (the rich nobleman from the colonies has no reason to have pissed off the hutt OUSIDE a situation that has already been ruled out) but I might be able to work something out for #2, (the construction droid) #3, (the gunslinger) or even a new character idea if noone else wants to try.
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby Rakaydos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:41 pm

One of the pregen backrounds...

" The true danger on Tatooine for Sasha was the rule of the Hutts and their minions; enough of Sasha’s idealism remained that guiding an indentured servant through the wilderness to a safehouse struck her as normal, even noble. When Teemo the Hutt found out that it was Sasha who helped the servant escape, he was not pleased– but apparently that had given Oskara an idea..."
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby MuttonchopMac » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:28 pm

After a freaking lot of perusing the careers and specializations with Ranged (Heavy), I concluded that Solder / Sharpshooter is best.

The backstory is in the works, but I've got a question for you, Shado. Can I use Arkanian Offshoot from the Unofficial Species Menagerie? I'll be one wound more fragile than a comparable human, but more focused (two free ranks in Career skills instead of non-Career skills) and get the perk of Determined (Suffer 1 strain to add a Boost die to an Agility or Brawn based skill). If not I'm not heartbroken, but I'm trying to make a sound tactical build, knowing your NPCs.
MuttonchopMac
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:46 pm

MuttonchopMac wrote:Can I use Arkanian Offshoot from the Unofficial Species Menagerie? I'll be one wound more fragile than a comparable human
You may. However my copy of the PDF (I don't know if it's been revised since I downloaded mine way back when) shows 8+Brawn, which is two worse than a human. You may end up regretting such a choice. WT is one of the most critical aspects of surviving combat.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ennervance » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Hey, evanfardreamer here from the EotE boards. I think this site is going to take a little getting used to navigating. Also, your threads are all jumbled in the TbF subforum - old campaign threads and new ones cohabiting poke at the bit of OCD I have. I'm also not sure I'm fond of that Orokos dice roller, but if that's your decision I'll abide by it. (I kept the Ennervance SN there too)

As to character concept - I'm really liking the idea I had for the Mandalorian. He's somewhat a mercenary, and has taken a couple of bounties, but he really shines when he gets his hands on engines or blasters - a wizard when it comes to machines. Ideally he'd take the Tech spot, focusing primarily on Mechanics with some Computers and a little Ranged (Heavy) thrown in. (I want him able to slice door locks and terminals, but I don't expect him to follow a money-trail through three shell corporations.)
ennervance
Level 4

Next

Return to Out of Context