Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Trial By Fire - Escape From Mos Shuuta (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Re: Trial By Fire - Escape From Mos Shuuta (OOC)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:19 am

Cael wrote:
Whatever is making the noise is obviously something Trex wanted hard to shut down.

Nope, Gand just isn't very good at Trandoshan-friendly computers. Perhaps Garr can find it ... once he gets to the cockpit and takes over using the computer.

Is Gand brave enough to try the last untried icon, the flashing red cage?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Cael » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:37 am

I'm going to wait on the last icon until we get some of the other horribleness under control :)
Cael
Level 5

Postby swrider » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:42 pm

I was part of the joint search for the Smell so I don't think I can attempt a separate roll. That counts three of us out on attempting it again.

As for the noise it is a computer check and while Argon has a rank in computers he only has an attribute of 2. I could attempt to shut off the noise if the group wants, but I don't like my odds.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: May 24-25th
Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ennervance » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:24 pm

I can certainly try. I wasn't sure when Garr was going to be able to act again, though.
ennervance
Level 4

Postby Yepesnopes » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:36 am

Sadly Uqoza is pathetic at Perception, only one die :cry:
Yepesnopes
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:00 am

ennervance wrote:I can certainly try. I wasn't sure when Garr was going to be able to act again, though.

1. You're no longer in combat, so you act whenever you want to.
2. The game is waiting on Garr to do stuff (IC), since he's the only one with good enough Computer skills to make some progress.

The ball's in your court, 'Vance.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ennervance » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:55 am

The last he was mentioned, was after the 'end combat' post, when it was said he couldn't help with the smell search because he was busy. I was waiting until given the all-clear to contribute.

Well, I hope that settles the immediate issue of being found. Is Garr also able to help search for the smell while he disables the klaxons, presumably now through a mechanics check to do it physically?
ennervance
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:46 am

ennervance wrote:Well, I hope that settles the immediate issue of being found. Is Garr also able to help search for the smell while he disables the klaxons, presumably now through a mechanics check to do it physically?

First item to be addressed in regards to your IC post: the transponder check was to locate it, not for disabling it (I've edited your IC post's quote block). The signal is not being sent by any equipment that's part of the ship itself. First you had to know where it is on the ship and you used the computer to use the ship's antennae to trace its location. It happens to be located on the (outside) hull of the ship to the rear of the laser cannon turret and is inaccessible while the ship is in flight. It may seem that the PCs can do little about the signal until they land. However, oddly enough they can alter the rate at which the signal is emitted. While the signal cannot be switched off from the computer, it can be slowed to emitting once every hour on a ImageImage Computers check (plus another Image, as per the results of the Despair which I explain below).

The 2 strain (Threat) that was rolled on this check will be applied to the ship, not to Garr.

Next item: the Despair on the klaxon roll (on top of the failures) means that Garr well and truly mucked up the computer system. All skill checks from now on will be upgraded twice due to the sound level being set to maximum volume (imagine a roaring jet engine and having no hearing protection). All PCs will suffer 1 automatic strain per skill check and/or per minute elapsed. (I'll let you know how much time passes.) After going unconscious, you will begin taking wounds (as your ears bleed). All PCs take 1 strain now. (Fabrizzo is now back at his ST, teetering on the edge of consciousness, and Uqoza is not far behind.)

Disabling the speakers is a ImageImageImage Mechanics check. Success will eliminate the double difficulty upgrades. Failure is not an option.

Searching for the smell takes place in the main hold, not the cockpit where Garr currently is, and uses Perception. That skill check is currently ImageImageImage, plus 1-2 more boosts from assisting characters.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Yepesnopes » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:51 am

I will help Garr with this mechanics check to disable the speakers!
Yepesnopes
Level 2

Postby ennervance » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:12 am

Already squared it, actually, unless Shado rules otherwise. But thanks!
ennervance
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:41 am

Rakaydos was on the FFG forum an hour ago (I just checked), and he replied to a post on FFG as recently as yesterday evening, so his absence from this board must be deliberate. Therefore I'm dropping him from this game. Given the party's current progress in the game, this is not a bad time to swap out characters anyway. A replacement character can join the group at whatever planet you jump to.

If one (or more) of you players would do me the favor of making a post in my original recruiting topic at FFG encouraging someone to join this game (and mention how much fun you're having, assuming that you are, indeed, having fun) and create a replacement character, I'd appreciate it.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:45 am

ennervance wrote:Mechanics check to disable klaxons.: 2 successes, 3 advantage

"Everyone be careful using the refresher. I had to route the signal somewhere so it's going to the sanisteam temperature regulator."

{chuckle} So much for taking a shower. Nice roleplay by Garr. And congrats on the roll and saving the party.

Mind letting me know what you do with the advantages?

As a reminder to all the players, all non-Computer skill checks no longer have difficulty upgrades, just the 1 setback (due to the ongoing stench). Also, as a point of info, Garr disabled the ship's intercom. The klaxon alarm is still active by the ship's computer (you just no longer hear it), and the music is still being pumped out (ditto not hearing it). All skill checks involving the ship's computer (including astrogation) will continue to have 1 extra Image until the ship is repaired. Seeing as Garr is the one who 'broke' it, repairing the computer is probably not something that you want him to be trying to do. Best to let an NPC deal with it later.

Skill checks yet to be done:

1. ImageImageImage (plus 1-2 more boosts from assisting characters) Perception to locate the Wookiee skins
  2. ImageImageImage Computers to slow the transmission rate of the transponder
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby MuttonchopMac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:42 am

Inyri already attempted the Perception check with assistance. Can she just retry?

My rule of thumb as a GM is usually that outside of combat, you can't retry an identical skill check since it represents your best efforts. Unless something changes, retrying just creates redundant, uninteresting rolls. Hence my being skeptical of being offered a reroll.
MuttonchopMac
Level 2

Postby swrider » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:28 am

MuttonchopMac wrote:Inyri already attempted the Perception check with assistance. Can she just retry?

My rule of thumb as a GM is usually that outside of combat, you can't retry an identical skill check since it represents your best efforts. Unless something changes, retrying just creates redundant, uninteresting rolls. Hence my being skeptical of being offered a reroll.

I am also unsure if I can try or assist with another check. I often use failures for this type of check to mark the passage of time and will allow a second check but it progresses the clock forward. No mention of time or a time restrain was given so I don't think that applies. My second theory is another attempt can be made after new information is gathered from another skill, such as the computer check which pinpointed the origin of the smell being the cargo bay. (I’m not clear on whether that was "new" information or something we already knew though).

If we can roll again, than Argon will be happy to assist.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby Yepesnopes » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:30 am

I think in this situation is acceptable a reroll. We did not find it even with our best efforts, but the smell is still there, therefore our characters know we are missing something. May be once we change scene, like after jumping to the hyperspace, we could reroll.
Yepesnopes
Level 2

Postby Cael » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:18 am

If it's possible for me to use the ship's onboard sensors to help and provide a boost die, I'd like to do that.
Cael
Level 5

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:48 am

Cael wrote:If it's possible for me to use the ship's onboard sensors to help and provide a boost die, I'd like to do that.

Sorry, no. You've already done that: the computer told you what precisely you're looking for (Wookiee skins, which adds a boost die to the next check, which I reflected in the revised difficulty I posted the last time that I was online), and in what part of the ship it's in. The fact that you haven't found it means that you haven't done a thorough enough search.

swrider wrote:My second theory is another attempt can be made after new information is gathered from another skill, such as the computer check

Actually, the new attempt is because now you know what exactly you're looking for and that it must be hidden because the computer told you where to look and that area has already been checked. So whomever has the best skill please roll, and if two people are assisting (not Garr or Gand, they're busy) the total number of boost dice are 3.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Yepesnopes » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:45 pm

Uqoza, done with patching Fabrizzio (and apparently casting him out in one of the scape pods), will help searching for the source of the stench.
Yepesnopes
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:49 pm

I don't recall whether I posted this, but I meant to do so a week ago: Each PC gets 10xp for successfully stealing the Krayt Fang and escaping Tatooine. And Garr found a hand scanner left in one corner of the engineering section while he was there.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ennervance » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:20 pm

So sorry for my unexpected absence - the timetable for our move got pushed up and I haven't been able to get online since thursday morning. Catching up now!
ennervance
Level 4

Postby ennervance » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm not sure what I want to do with the advantages - probably a boost to the check, to slow the transponder's rate of transmission. Have any suggestions?
ennervance
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:29 am

swrider wrote:"Shall I toss them out of an airlock?"

Airlock? You don't recall seeing one...
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:43 am

Shadow Which thread did you post that map in?

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby Yepesnopes » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:14 pm

Shadow, can we spend the xp you gave us? And normaly, will you designate especial moments when we can spend xp? Or can we do it any time on the fly?
Yepesnopes
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:47 am

You may spend XP now. You can spend XP (new grants and/or saved points) only when I grant points (at breaks in the narrative).

Technically, I should have held off awarding the points until the party has resolved all of the issues aboard the Krayt Fang, but in actuality the party is already well into LAotH since there hasn't been a break in the narrative. EFMS ended the moment that you finished off the last TIE, and it's concluding EFMS that you're receiving the points for. I'm just waiting until you make your second jump, completely out of the Tatooine system (you're at the outer edge of the system now) and onwards to your next destination, before I close out the EFMS threads and open new threads for LAotH, and it's not fair to make everyone wait until then for me to award the points for the stuff that you've already done.

swrider wrote:Shadow Which thread did you post that map in?

I don't recall which one, so I'm reposting the link.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context