Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Trial By Fire - Act I (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Re: Trial By Fire - Act I (OOC)

Postby Teknon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Done and done.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:56 pm

My last post in the IC thread has also been edited.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:02 pm

I am enjoying this game.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:39 pm

Great! It's posts like that which make my day and make the effort worthwhile. Thanks.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:41 pm

I'm currently DM'ing a pathfinder game, and I've discovered how crappy and busy DMing can make you life. I'm glad you do it :)
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:32 pm

If GMing is making your life crappier, either don't GM and do something else with your time, find a better game system to play, or better players (that won't give you grief). Something is wrong and you need to fix it. My 2 credits worth.

BTW, I have now solo-run several parties through all of the published modules for both EotE and AoR. Learned much. For example, having someone with good close combat skill and high brawn (for Athletics) is very helpful. And they can cleave through packs of enemies in quick order using a vibrosword with a monomolecular edge. The high brawn (coupled with lots of Toughened) makes them very hard to hurt. I've had a dosh completely shrug off some blaster bolt hits.

The roles that every party should have are:
  • muscle (melee skill: Brawn)
  • pilot (both space and ground: Agility)
  • fixer (computers and mechanics, and to a lesser degree also medicine: IQ)
  • face (charm and negotiate: Presence)
Another role is someone to do sleaze (stuff that uses Cunning).

In EotE, the face can cover both diplomacy and trading as the career has specializations for both. In AoR, this is awkward as the specs for diplomacy and trading are in two different careers.

In EotE, the fixer can cover also being a doctor, as well as being a tech, but it's not ideal. In AoR, medicine is under the Soldier career, so the heavy gunner can also be your medic. Very convenient. If you don't mind your doc always being the focus of the bad guy's attention. Downside is that shooting and patching people up use two different attributes. OTOH, your pilot can (and should) have good Gunnery skill.

When creating a starting character, I suggest using most of your points to raise their key attribute to 5 (4 if he's human). Using a species that gets a '3' in something and then burning 90XP to raise it to 5 won't leave you many points (usually 0-10, plus 5-10 from duty/obligation) for skills and talents. But you can raise skills and talents with XP during play. The only way to raise attributes is with either cybernetics (for some) or the Dedication talent, which is at the bottom of the talent trees. Plus starting with a high rank in your key attribute seems to be more effective than spending the XP in other ways. I have tried it various ways. Especially since starting characters cannot have more than 2 ranks in any skill. So all that you can otherwise spend creation XP on is talents or ranks in more skills. When I create characters, the free skill ranks are usually enough to cover the role (as long as the character isn't trying to do too many things, like being both a tech and a doctor).

Speaking of medicine, note that I did not specify medic as one of the key roles. While having a character that has access to the doctor/medic spec tree is useful, it's not critical. For the same reason, I omitted heavy, as you won't fail a mission just because you don't have a character dedicated to two-handed guns and cannon. But there are tasks that simply cannot be completed if someone in the party doesn't have enough Athletics (Brawn), Pilot, Computers, Mechanics, or Charm (and often Negotiate). There are also tasks that require Skulduggery, but most of those can be skipped or dealt with using other skills without failing the entire mission. At least this is true for the modules. If a party doesn't have anyone competent in Stealth or Skulduggery, then they should look for other ways to succeed, or if it's a free-form adventure by the GM then the GM should provide alternatives to whatever the party is lacking in means. Don't send players on missions that they have no chance to succeed at. It's the responsibility of the GM to tailor the game to fit both the players and the players' characters.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:41 am

Oh, not like not enjoying it crappy, but busy crappy. Juggling college and DMing a group, while trying to coordinate play nights when someone from out of town can make it in, sometimes gets a little tough. I know you have IRL things that eat up you time, everyone does, that's all I was saying. I do enjoy this game.
Last edited by DoctorWho on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby Thespius » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:26 am

I too enjoy this campaign, hard to decide if I enjoy playing Sarkh or Gar more :P

On another note, I've been giving some thought to starting up some variation of Secret Scourge using EotE. Only thing holding me back is the Force was somewhat central to that game and I've never been able to make heads or tails of the Force mechanics in this game, something about it just isn't clicking for me.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby Teknon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:32 am

Well, the Force and Destiny beta test was just released - it might well help clarify that.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby DoctorWho » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:33 am

I hope so, I'm quite interested in at some point playing a multi-"classed" Archaeologist/Force user. Because it'd be fun.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby Teknon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:05 am

Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 pm

In one of the parties that I created to solo-run through the EotE modules I created a Force-sensitive Exile. Based on that experience I can tell you that if you want any Force capability you will have to sacrifice being able to spend much XP on non-Force stuff like skills and non-Force talents. Just in the process of creating the basic character you will burn 20XP on getting the Force-sensitive Exile specialization, then another 10XP to pick up the Sense Basic power, and another 10XP if you also want the Move Basic power. The Influence Basic power would be yet another 10XP, and (IMO) the Influence tree (mind trick stuff) is pretty worthless in this system.

From having run that (Gand) character all the way through 150+ earned XP I can tell you that he was by far the least "useful" member of the party. He simply lacked the skills and talents that made the other 3 PCs in that group each contribute meaningfully. By the time his Force powers were developed enough to actually try using them in combat situations it was moot as the rest of the group could plow through enemies much quicker with blasters. Reading the surface thoughts of a target was semi-useful in one set of scenes, but it was also moot because the face in that group was so effective that the same result would have happened had the Force character not even been there.

My advice is to wait until F&D is available and let's see if that adds any new trees and other stuff that might make playing a Force user a more attractive option than it currently is.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks for the advice :)
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:49 pm

You're welcome. I forgot to mention that the Force trees in AoR are pretty crappy. No help there.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Kind of bummed about that, wish the Force stuff was a bit better.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:18 pm

I just updated the Active Games topic to reflect that we have 1 opening. We need a replacement player to take over the critical role of the party's face (Titus). Or, depending on what the players decide, we can create and entire new party of 4-5 PCs and start fresh with a different adventure. Your GM has a great deal more experience with this system, and I have more than just the core book (which is all that I had when I started this game). Please let me know what you decide. In the meantime, unless both Doc and Thespius would rather start fresh, please continue posting your characters' actions in the IC thread. A face is the one character role that I cannot run as an NPC as the GM, so someone needs to, at least temporarily, take over Titus.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:23 pm

DoctorWho wrote:Kind of bummed about that, wish the Force stuff was a bit better.

Ditto.

I'm even more bummed about Teknon having to drop out. RL sucks. I do wish him the best. At least on the bright side he made me a board admin a couple of years ago so this site isn't in imminent danger of going defunct in Tek's absence as SE.com did (when Sarli abandoned it and screwed-over the entire PbP community there).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm good with starting a new game, now that I have a better idea of the system, or continuing on. Either works for me.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 pm

To give you guys more to consider, I was already intending to transition the current PCs from the adventure in the core book into another adventure, rather than have the PCs continue looking for Dobah and trying to score one of the bounties on him. If you guys are happy with your current characters you may keep them. Or you can generate new PCs for a new adventure.

Doc seems willing to go either way, not expressing a preference. So the decision is up to Thespius. Which is fair, since Thespius does have two PCs, so has more 'skin' in the current game.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Thespius » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:01 am

Well...

Hmph, I suppose a new game is the easiest way to go. Finding someone to take over a character they didn't build can be difficult. Would you want me to parse down to one character for the new game? At this point I'd have a hard time deciding between Sarkh and Gar... :?

But I do intend to take at least one of them to the next game. Also would we be keeping previous game's xp or cutting them down to base? I don't think I've spent any of my earned xp yet...
Thespius
Level 2

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:04 am

Hmmm, I wish there was a way to attract a little more attention to this site, but community is hard to build.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:24 pm

You may keep your 15-16 accumulated XP when we start a new game. You may also keep one or both of your characters.You may even respec the character to select different talents and/or skill ranks, or even career specializations. Including specs/talents from any of the EotE books. But not careers from AoR, since these characters did not begin as AoR characters.

And I heartily agree with and wish we could drive more interest in this site, and thus get more players. FFG's site has no dedicated place for online games (though they do have plenty of people seeking games. D20radio has a PbP section, but it would be crass to go there and try to poach players. (especially for me, as my name is known there from the SE days).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Hmm, I'll trawl the websites I'm often (spacebattles.com and sufficientvelocity.com) to see if I can find anyone who's interested. There was some talk of the RPG during some recent calc'ing of Star Wars stuff due to Disney canon changes, so maybe I can drum up some interest.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby DoctorWho » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:36 am

ArrolDin says he's interested in playing in a game, so I PM'd him to see if he was interested in this type of game (new FF rules).

EDIT: While he wants to play, he isn't that interested in learning new rules.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ArrolDin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:45 am

Hi guys.

Thanks again for the invitation. I don't know anything about this rules set. It took me a week to remember Saga, and I used to play and have all the books.

If there's a way to get the rules on line, I can read them. When I get comfortable, I can try to join you.

cheers
ArrolDin
Level 1

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context