Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Trial By Fire - Act I (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Re: Trial By Fire - Act I (OOC)

Postby Thespius » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 am

Gar:
Money: 1d100 16

Sarkh:
Money: 1d100 11

:roll:
Thespius
Level 2

Postby Teknon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Okay, I believe that the PC order will be:
  • Gar
  • Sienn
  • Sarkh
  • Titus

We are all in agreement that Gar should go first, and Sienn second. I put Sarkh next as he is generally more effective in battle than Titus.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Map before Gar's move:

I need everyone to tell me exactly what items they picked up from the fallen NPCs. I'm not interested in what items your characters looked at, only the items that you intend to keep. So that I can update my copies of your character sheets. So far, I have Sarkh picking up a heavy blaster rifle (with attached bipod).

I discovered a glaring flaw in the combat system yesterday. When someone is engaged with someone else who's holding a ranged weapon, such as an autofire-capable heavy rifle, there's nothing (in the game mechanics) preventing the rifleman from using a maneuver to disengage and then firing the rifle without the (hefty) engaged penalty. There are possible circumstances where someone might not be able to disengage, such as being backed into a corner or against a cliff, but those would be rare. Unlike with d20, disengaging doesn't grant the enemy any advantages. This engagement issue is strongly tied to this system's lack of an opportunity attack mechanic, and it's something that needs to be fixed, even if we have to make up house rules for it. Please give me your thoughts and/or suggestions. I find it hard to believe that this problem didn't come up during play testing, or if it did why the devs chose to ignore it.

Addendum to my house rules on cover: the benefits of being prone and behind cover cannot grant more than +2 to ranged defense. Once you are prone, how tall the obstruction in front of you is doesn't make any difference. A tall rock or crate is no better than a short one.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Sienn grabbed the belt with the grenade.

I should be able to post actions tomorrow night, I'm cramming for a test tomorrow at the moment.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:31 pm

DoctorWho wrote:Sienn grabbed the belt with the grenade.

Thanks. Just so we're clear, none of the enemies are wearing utility belts (as per the game item). The grenades were clipped to their clothes. I didn't bother to correct you when you said earlier IC that Sienn was grabbing the guy's belt as I was treating that cinematically as her grabbing him by his pants (or whatever).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Teknon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Titus didn't find anything he was interested in picking up.

As for the Opportunity rules, I personally would be fine with using the same mechanic as SWSE uses it seems to work, and we are all familiar with it.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby Thespius » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:55 am

Sarkh picked up the heavy rifle. Gar picked up a knife with his chest, but I think he dropped it ;)

I agree with Titus, the swse rules port fairly well in this case.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Ah, sorry, then Sienn just grabbed the grenade.

My turn is next, correct?
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby Teknon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Yep!
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:48 pm

What are the range bands in squares? Just so I can know how many difficulty dice to roll.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby Teknon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:14 pm

The grid is only for us to better express where we are at on the map - EotE specifically doesn't use squares. Engaged is melee range. Most everything else in the building is probably short range since it is described as a distance you can talk over without raising your voice (and as I remember, ShadoWarrior said that everything in the cantina was short range in our first encounter)
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Ah, thank you :)
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby Thespius » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Crazy weekend, mostly of the good variety.

I will have a post up tomorrow, and do my best to have it before Shado comes to check on us. Titus should feel free to take his turn. It makes little difference where I go if we're back to back.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby Teknon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:58 pm

I'll try to get something up tomorrow
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:59 pm

DoctorWho wrote:What are the range bands in squares? Just so I can know how many difficulty dice to roll.

EotE/AoR does not specify a number of squares for a range band. Very deliberately. The system is designed to give GMs more flexibility/control over the cinematic handling of encounters and the storytelling process. The core rules describes roughly how far each band is. Players (and GMs) have to use their imagination and judgment as to how to translate that into a number of squares. For purposes of this encounter, all combat is taking place at short range, since no one is further than half the length of the warehouse from their target. Please note that if you are engaged, you must expend one maneuver to disengage (per RAW), and vice versa if you wish to engage from short range.

Corrections/comments to recent player stuff:
  • Changing the setting of a weapon is an incidental. This is actually in the RAW, but I'd have to look up exactly what page it's on.
  • When aiming, please just make one combined attack+aim roll. Specifying that you're aiming when you list your maneuver is enough for me to understand your combat dice pool.
  • The attack by Titus against Daro neglected to include a setback die for his (skimpy) cover. However, what's worse is that Titus had no LOS to Daro from where he is. There is a solid wall between C19 and C13. Titus will have to have moved to F8 or F9 to take that shot. I'm going to assume F8. I have the choice of disregarding your aim maneuver, or inflicting 2 strain for making a second maneuver. I think you'd prefer the strain.
  • Sienn does not have a clear LOS to the square that she wishes to toss the grenade to ((D12). She must move to one of the following: F8, F9, E10, or E11. I'm going to assume F9, as I'm putting Titus in F8.
  • Since heavy rifles have no stun, and you're trying take Daro alive, Sarkh using the pistol makes a lot of sense, despite the rifle's much greater damage output.
  • Sarkh's position on the map did not reflect his ever having gone over to the corpse with the heavy rifle, which Sarkh picked up. His map position reflected where he was when the main warehouse fight ended. I'm sorry that I didn't catch this sooner. Sarkh should have been in one of the squares adjacent to H6. So I'm assuming he was already at G5 and thus did not use a maneuver to move. That gave him a maneuver to use for aiming. When I resolve all the attacks, I'll add a Boost die to Sarkh's attack results.
  • I haven't resolved all the attacks as of when I'm writing this post, so I don't know if the combined attacks will put him down (though they probably will). For your sakes I hope it does, because the squares where I'm sticking everyone will put 3 of the 4 PCs in the blast radius of a grenade, if Daro remains conscious and if he possesses a grenade to toss at you.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Teknon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:03 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
  • The attack by Titus against Daro neglected to include a setback die for his (skimpy) cover. However, what's worse is that Titus had no LOS to Daro from where he is. There is a solid wall between C19 and C13. Titus will have to have moved to F8 or F9 to take that shot. I'm going to assume F8. I have the choice of disregarding your aim maneuver, or inflicting 2 strain for making a second maneuver. I think you'd prefer the strain.

Titus moved to F9 on his las turn ( to search the fallen thug. )
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:07 pm

Oops. Okay, so I won't stick Titus with 2 more strain. And I'll stick Sienn in F8.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:14 pm

BTW, rows 4 and up are at medium range from the office door, just to give you a better feel for ranges.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:52 pm

One more, extremely important, item: To do area damage with a grenade you must score at least 2 advantages. Grenades, contrary to the way that I think I was running them, do not automatically blast everyone nearby (though they should, IMHO). What this means is that to hit a target you put the grenade in the same square as they're in. And the adjacent squares have the possibility of taking damage. So in this battle with Daro & friend, putting the grenade in D12, which would be the logical thing to do, is not how the game works. To hit Daro you must put the grenade in C13 or miss Daro (since no advantages were rolled). This is especially troublesome, because then you would have had to add a setback die to the attack to account for Daro's cover.

I think that I'm going to house rule on grenades, because the RAW is simply too limiting and unrealistic:
A grenade has a primary effect zone of the target square and all adjacent squares. (This is the area affected by at least one success.) If the Blast quality is activated (i.e.: two advantages are expended), the squares 2 away from the center of the explosion receive damage equal to the Blast rating.

This will make it so that the ridiculous possibility of someone standing right next to an exploding grenade coming away without a scratch can't happen. It's already bad enough that grenades in SF RPGs have absurdly small blast radii. A grenade IRL going off in the middle of the warehouse would kill (or at least maim) everyone inside such a small space.

This new house rule will be used when I resolve Sienn's attack, with the grenade landing in D12.

I'm also going to add to the house rule that the GM can apply setback dice, on a per target basis, to account for different targets possibly having cover. So in this case, I will roll 1eS and apply the result to the attack on Daro, but not to the Weequay (who without cover takes full damage). Yes, it's possible that if I roll well (poorly from the perspective of the players), Daro might take no damage from the grenade.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Teknon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:57 pm

That seems fair.

Also, I apologize for the separate roll on Titus's aim. It was mainly because I wasn't positive about the switch to stun being an incidental.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby Teknon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Since Sarkh took down Blunt, Titus will move to shoot at the Weequay, rather than aiming
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Since Sarkh put down Daro, Titus may either:
  • keep what he posted and put the bolt into Daro anyway, which will make it harder to wake him for interrogation (an extra 9 points that would need to be healed), or
  • suck up two strain and move to where he can get a shot at the Weequay, and keep the same attack results, or
  • sacrifice his aim maneuver result to avoid taking strain, use the maneuver to get in position to attack the Weequay, and keep the rest of the attack results, or
  • do something else and completely redo your last IC post.
As Teknon can edit his posts in the IC thread, he can can make whatever adjustment he desires to. Please let me know here in this thread when you've done whatever it is you wish to do. I do need to know what square he moves to.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Teknon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:40 pm

I think that you posted while I was editing.

Titus's post is updated.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Titus must be in C10 or C11 to have LOS and not be in the same room as the Weequay or adjacent to him. Titus also gets +1eB from Sarkh's attack (I rolled 2 more advantages when I added a Boost die to Sarkh's attack). Please roll 1eB and edit the result into your post (and tell me which square, C10 or C11, you go to).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Actually, you had already rolled 1eB (for the aiming). Keep that result (1 success and 1 advantage).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context