Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Strike Force Isk - Operation: Shadowpoint (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Strike Force Isk - Operation: Shadowpoint (OOC)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue May 19, 2015 1:23 pm

Composite list of Whisper Base equipment, revised:

• 4 suits of stormtrooper armor
  • 8 E-11 blaster rifles
  • 5 blaster carbines
  • 4 blaster pistol
  • 1 light blaster pistol
  • 0 frag grenades
  • 15 vibroknives
  • 8 stimpacks
  • 10 Imperial ration packs
  • 16 canteens of water
  • 11 Imperial Army uniforms
  • 5 Imperial Army dress uniforms
  • a 30-meter spool of thick steel wire
  • the Nilos, a Lambda-class shuttle
  • 1 slightly rusted AT-ST walker
  • 6 banged up Aratech 74-ZB speeder bikes
Since no one responded to my question(s) regarding equipping BX-2R, the droid only has the carbine that BX-187 gave him.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Strike Force Isk - Operation: Shadowpoint (OOC)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue May 26, 2015 8:08 am

Mission Issues

(1) The emergency supplies of the base are sufficient for slightly over a month of operation at full staffing, or approximately three months with just the PCs (four days of which have now elapsed). The PCs can secure further supplies through trading with the villagers of Darrastead, buying them from discreet suppliers in the Market Quarter of Iziz, flying their Lambda-class shuttle to Rebel depots, or other, more creative solutions.

(2) There are many jobs that need to be done around the base, and some of them require helping hands from NPCs. For instance, various security sensors, comm arrays, and other vital mechanisms of the base’s SigInt array require constant attention to maintain full efficiency. If the PCs can cajole Toor into helping with maintenance, they can mitigate the wear-and-tear of the array, but to keep it in perfect condition, they need to bring on more mechanics. Similarly, having NPCs to aid with other mundane tasks like communicating with other Rebel bases, scouting the jungle, maintaining a med-bay, and cooking the Imperial ration packs into something vaguely edible could make the PCs’ lives much easier.

(3) Although the PCs can delay the Moff learning of the base’s loss with clever deceptions for a while, especially if they manage to trick anyone checking into the base from long range comms, Dardano can’t be fooled forever. Even if the PCs take great pains to maintain their cover, Moff Dardano is cunning and is eventually going to realize that the SigInt array has been compromised as reports from his agents stop arriving (or shift in tone). The PCs should also remember that the Moff’s knowledge of their off-the-books base is their biggest vulnerability.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Wed May 27, 2015 9:37 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
(2) There are many jobs that need to be done around the base, and some of them require helping hands from NPCs. For instance, various security sensors, comm arrays, and other vital mechanisms of the base’s SigInt array require constant attention to maintain full efficiency. If the PCs can cajole Toor into helping with maintenance, they can mitigate the wear-and-tear of the array, but to keep it in perfect condition, they need to bring on more mechanics. Similarly, having NPCs to aid with other mundane tasks like communicating with other Rebel bases, scouting the jungle, maintaining a med-bay, and cooking the Imperial ration packs into something vaguely edible could make the PCs’ lives much easier.

This sounds like recuitment to me. Something we could try and accomplish along with picking up supplies at Iziz or Darrastead. Toor can hang behind to guard the base while were out looking into this - normally I'd suggest 187 do the same, but I don't want to write him out of the adventure, so instead he'll be along in case things get hairy. Where specifically we go may depend on where the next plothook is. :D

Personally, I think the best cover for our base is to make Dardano believe (some time in the near future) that the base has been found and his troopers destroyed it rather than let the records and it's connection to him be discovered. This hopefully would encourage him to destroy any records he has of it's existence to wash his hands of it, and take us entirely off the map.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu May 28, 2015 7:16 am

Quicksilver wrote:Where specifically we go may depend on where the next plothook is. :D

The mission issues which I posted are the plot hooks. It's up to the players to decide what they wish to do, in what order, and by what means. This adventure is not linear (and thus heavily scripted) such as the CRPG Dishonored. It's loose, like open-world CRPGs such as Skyrim, or (most portions of) Dragon Age 2, or Borderlands 2 (just to name a few good games).

I'm a bit miffed that in the past few days only Quick has bothered to post. This game needs the active participation of all of the players in it for mission to work and be fun for all (including your GM). If you're expecting me to just throw stuff at you in a scripted, linear fashion for you to react to, then you should revisit your decision to do this particular adventure (which requires that the players take initiative) and perhaps decide to move on to the next adventure (Onslaught at Arda I). Your choice.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby awaypturwpn » Thu May 28, 2015 11:50 am

I am finding that I simply don't know where to begin. What exactly has happened? How much time has passed?

I'm definitely not expecting anything linear, but a small amount of scene-setting might go a long way into jogging our creative processes.
awaypturwpn
Level 5

Postby Quicksilver » Thu May 28, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm guessing it's safe to assume that no additional personnel (other than our new pilot) have/are slated to arrive. (makes sense for a strapped alliance) Mean's our next step is grass roots rebellion. I'd recommend heading to Iziz and seeing if we can find any kind of homegrown resistance that's already started.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby What » Thu May 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Some RL stuff came up and I'm going to be unable to check in or devote much time for the next couple days. Sorry everyone, I'll post as soon as I can.
What
Level 3

Highscores: 1

Postby Baron Fel » Thu May 28, 2015 4:46 pm

First, sorry for the delays. I've been traveling but should be good to go now.

Second, I vote that we go visit Darrastead. We will need supplies, but we also want to know who we're sharing a moon with. These villagers are potential allies, but also potential threats. There may be an official Imperial presence there and we want to find out about any of these possibilities sooner rather than later. I don't propose baking a cake and knocking on their doors, but a quick visit certainly seems neighborly doesn't it?
Baron Fel
Level 3

Postby Mainiac » Thu May 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Sorry, I've been keeping an eye on the thread but not signing in everyday. I also was not sure what to do next but I'm fine heading to either of those places so lets pick one and go. While there I'll be looking for a Bowcaster though I know the odds are long of finding one. Plus I can't afford it but maybe could work out a trade with some of the base's spare equipment.
Mainiac
Level 1

Postby Dr Lucky » Thu May 28, 2015 9:31 pm

V'Jax is not really well suited to the trading and recruiting side of the operation. He's happy go along with Telle on those kind of missions as some security/muscle that is slightly less conspicuous than a Wookiee or a battledroid, but it really isn't his strength. Of course, he's more than capable of infiltrating or creating a pretty spectacular distraction if it become necessary in Darrastead or Iziz.

If not, he's probably best off working with Orun and Toor at the base on upkeep/maintenance/repair type tasks.
Dr Lucky
Level 4

Postby awaypturwpn » Fri May 29, 2015 10:29 pm

@Quicksilver, how are you thinking we could make the Moff believe the base had been destroyed without actually destroying the base? Maybe it might be easier to impersonate base staff if any Imperials come knocking...get info from Toor about procedure during schedule supply drops and such, and then try and replicate it.

Question to Shado: How far away are Darrastead and Iziz, respectively? If Darrastead is closer, it might make sense to look there for some grassroots type action.

Barring any time-related problems, Telle would...

1) See if there is any information to be found about Darrastead or Iziz in the base's computer logs, and failing that, find Toor and ask him what he knows about Darrastead. While there, also find info about the base's resupply schedule to try and figure out how long they had until someone from the Empire showed up.

2) Ask Toor nicely to help Orun get the SigInt array up and running, and maintain it for them while they looked for more bodies—be they droid or organic—to get it running at peak efficiency.

3) Set up a rotation-based patrol schedule to supplement the (obviously flawed) exterior security cam system.
awaypturwpn
Level 5

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat May 30, 2015 7:01 am

awaypturwpn wrote:What exactly has happened? How much time has passed?

a small amount of scene-setting might go a long way into jogging our creative processes.

4 days, as previously mentioned here and here in the old OOC thread. As for what's happened, you've been cleaning up the base and investigating it after having conquered it. That's the current scene. It's been "down time", insofar as game-play is concerned. The first post I made in the new IC thread sets the scene. I cannot do anything more in the way of "scene-setting" until the players decide upon a course of action.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat May 30, 2015 7:06 am

Quicksilver wrote:I'm guessing it's safe to assume that no additional personnel (other than our new pilot) have/are slated to arrive. (makes sense for a strapped alliance).

Correct. And the only reason that a new pilot is joining you is that the regional Rebel command felt that it would raise too much suspicion if someone came to visit Whisper Base (such as whomever has been bringing supplies to the Moff's troops at the base) and the shuttle was missing, or if the Moff called the base and summoned the shuttle for some reason, so the shuttle is being returned to the team. No explanation was given as to why a different pilot was assigned to this task.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat May 30, 2015 7:42 am

awaypturwpn wrote:Question to Shado: How far away are Darrastead and Iziz, respectively? If Darrastead is closer, it might make sense to look there for some grassroots type action.

The village is much closer than Iziz. It is also far less likely to be crawling with Imperials, unlike the planetary capital which contains a major Imperial base controlled by the Moff's rival (Admiral Corlen) and for whom Whisper Base was built to spy upon.

awaypturwpn wrote:1) See if there is any information to be found about Darrastead or Iziz in the base's computer logs, and failing that, find Toor and ask him what he knows about Darrastead. While there, also find info about the base's resupply schedule to try and figure out how long they had until someone from the Empire showed up.

Toor doesn't know anything about the village. All he knows about Iziz is that he was sold to Lieutenant Sarev by Kavia Slen, a junk dealer in the city. In regards to the resupply schedule, it happens on what Toor characterizes as a random interval roughly every one to two weeks. A Lambda-class shuttle arrives from Iziz piloted by a female human named Verala Mishar. The last such visit was two days prior to the PCs taking over Whisper Base (a total of six days before the current date). She might drop by at any time. Could be as soon as today, could be as long as a week from now.

The computers list the village as a nearby human encampment fortified by a wood log palisade. It has roughly a hundred inhabitants and has been there for over a century. In typical Imperial fashion, the Imperials at Whisper Base were in the habit of press-ganging the villagers into service whenever they needed additional labor.

The logs contain a wealth of information about Jyrenne Base near Iziz, including the fact that there is a constant Imperial presence there including a full garrison of stormtroopers, supported by walkers and TIEs, and frequently visited by Navy patrols from the local sector fleet.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby awaypturwpn » Sat May 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Point of curiosity, are we using the Legends-bound "Galactic Standard Week" of 5 days, or are we just using a week to mean "7 days" as in common parlance?

Also is a single rotation of Onderon 24 hours-ish? Again, more just curiosity. Working on an IC post right now.
awaypturwpn
Level 5

Postby awaypturwpn » Sat May 30, 2015 4:40 pm

Sorry for the double-post...but for RP purposes, I'm assuming here that...

1. None of us personally know the new pilot, Caiden.
2. We were informed about his arrival ahead of time.
awaypturwpn
Level 5

Postby awaypturwpn » Sat May 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Hope the IC post is okay with everyone! Telle is not too impressed with the new recruit's résumé, so hope that comes across ;)

Just let me know if I need to dial it back.
awaypturwpn
Level 5

Postby Baron Fel » Sun May 31, 2015 1:32 pm

awaypturwpn wrote:Hope the IC post is okay with everyone! Telle is not too impressed with the new recruit's résumé, so hope that comes across ;)

Just let me know if I need to dial it back.

No need to dial anything back. I think it's great to have a bit of conflict and personality at the start of a session and, frankly, Caiden's resume deserves your scorn. He's certainly not likely to get into the Imperial Academy, but (un)fortunately the Rebellion is a little more open in its recruitment policies.
Baron Fel
Level 3

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:21 am

awaypturwpn wrote:Point of curiosity, are we using the Legends-bound "Galactic Standard Week" of 5 days, or are we just using a week to mean "7 days" as in common parlance?

When I wrote the post I had 7-day weeks in mind, but in point of fact the game is using 6× 5-day weeks = 1 month.

awaypturwpn wrote:Also is a single rotation of Onderon 24 hours-ish?

28 hours, as per Wookieepedia.

awaypturwpn wrote:for RP purposes, I'm assuming here that...

1. None of us personally know the new pilot, Caiden.
2. We were informed about his arrival ahead of time.

1. Correct.
2. Incorrect. He arrives as a surprise. The only response that was received to Telle's outgoing coded message informing the Alliance of the success of capturing the base was an extremely short coded 'acknowledged' signal that appears like random static to anyone without the code, and even with the code gives nothing away about who sent the message. Caiden came from the Rebel cruiser Lathir (which is the ship that brought your team to this sector) with his own orders (on a coded chip) assigning him to your team, along with the orders (also on the same chip) to the team that you're to remain on Onderon and make Whisper Base useful to the Alliance until you're relieved. Caiden knows nothing about when that relief might be. Besides helping to allay suspicion if/when the base gets visited by any Imps, Caiden and the shuttle are your emergency escape plan should you have to abandon your mission. If such an event occurs, Alliance Command would be ... displeased with your team.

awaypturwpn wrote:V'jax, Orun Kai, BeeEx-OneEightSeven, and Dewurra should be meeting us in the briefing room

BX-2R is being excluded from the meeting? Or even being mentioned?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby awaypturwpn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Any chance we could retcon that #2 above based on the current roleplaying in the IC thread? Otherwise I'm looking at some really heavy editing so that Telle's actions make sense.

I thought BX-2R would already be up at the SigInt array...didn't somebody already ask him to work on maintaining it?
awaypturwpn
Level 5

Postby Baron Fel » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:28 pm

I'll wait to see how we handle this before replying to Telle IC.
Baron Fel
Level 3

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:15 am

awaypturwpn wrote:Any chance we could retcon that #2 above based on the current roleplaying in the IC thread? Otherwise I'm looking at some really heavy editing so that Telle's actions make sense.

I thought BX-2R would already be up at the SigInt array...didn't somebody already ask him to work on maintaining it?

We mentioned having him help working on it, but it's been 4 days, so I assumed all the 'patching back up' had been completed. I was thinking of having 187 bring 2R with him anyway, ending Shado's approval of NPC movement.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby awaypturwpn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:57 am

Either way it's cool...I was thinking that the SigInt would have to be continuously maintained, so it'd be best to have a droid stationed up there to take care of stuff. But if it can be left alone for intervals, that's fine too. In any case we should recruit some allies and get that thing ship-shape.
awaypturwpn
Level 5

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:26 am

Yeah, recruitment from village and/or town is definitely first. Then supplying those recruits, though that's almost part of the same thing.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby awaypturwpn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:16 pm

awaypturwpn wrote:Any chance we could retcon that #2 above based on the current roleplaying in the IC thread? Otherwise I'm looking at some really heavy editing so that Telle's actions make sense.

I just read through the IC thread with fresh eyes and the above knowledge that Shado imparted, and Telle's response isn't all that nonsensical. Even funnier, perhaps. IMO it doesn't actually need a retcon.
awaypturwpn
Level 5

Next

Return to Out of Context