Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Strike Force Isk - Onslaught at Arda I (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Re: Strike Force Isk - Onslaught at Arda I (OOC)

Postby smkeyes » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:22 pm

What is the Starfighter squadron name?
smkeyes
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 am

Which starfighter squadron? The Rebels have several, as did the Imperials.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:12 am

I found some starship shield rules that I like better than the ones I was using in my House Rules. I've edited the relevant post in my House Rules thread to include a Dropbox link to the PDF that contains the new vehicle shield rules.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Jedi Ronin and smkeyes haven't posted since Jan. 2, and neither is a student (AFAIK; JR is 39 and Keyes is 47). What troubles me most is that the board log doesn't list them as even showing up to look around. Unless they have been checking in as 'guests' and not logging in under their usernames. Kind of hard to keep a game going when 3 of the 4 players aren't even coming to the 'house', much less sitting down at the 'table'.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Jedi Ronin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:55 am

Sorry for the hiatus. Work and family got busy. I'm not in college but I do have 5 young children :)

Should we keep things completely on the down low and investigate ourselves or should we recruit help or get official permission to investigate?
I like the suggestion of recruiting Haydon. The more people we recruit the more likely it is the traitor knows we're trying to discover them but Haydon has experience with this stuff.

Maybe we should try to recruit Setenna as well? Though her assistant Narek is our prime suspect so discussing it with her while he's present is not a good idea.
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:20 am

A couple of comments.

"Strike Force Isk" (your team) is a Rebel Alliance SpecForce team. SpecForce operators are expected to use their own initiative to solve problems. In short, you don't need "permission" to investigate a problem that you found. You especially don't need permission when you have no other orders to occupy your time.

As for Setenna, she has the weight of responsibility for all Rebel Alliance operations in this region (multiple sectors) to deal with, as well as the grief of just having lost people (like General Niall). Even if Narek wasn't her aide (which if he is, in fact, the traitor makes her judgment questionable as far as the people around her is concerned) she's got a full plate and it's very unlikely you'll ever be able to speak to her in complete privacy.

The fact that your team just brought up the matter of a traitor with the suspected traitor right there with you wasn't the brightest idea, unless your intention is/was to see if you can make him nervous. (He was also there when you gave the device to General Niall, so if he is the traitor he's certainly aware of your investigation and interest. About the only thing he might not know is that you suspect him of being the traitor.) The traitor may not be a professional undercover operative, but he's also very unlikely to be stupid enough to do something to give himself away at this point in time. He's managed to remain unidentified thus far and is at least smart enough to know that you don't have anything directly tying him to the Empire. Because if you did he'd already be under arrest.

PS - welcome back!
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Is there some particular reason why no one is posting in this game, even when the log on to this board and look around (as I've seen Jedi Ronin recently do)?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Well, I don't know the answers to the Arda adventure ahead of time and this seems like a case for Rebel Intelligence, Counterintelligence, or Internal Affairs, not a strike team. A droid, a saboteur, a pilot and a diplomat. It also seems like we're hit with following orders and protocols every time we want to deviate, so we bring this to leadership's attention (as we should). They don't seem concerned.... no, "Oh My!", no shock, no indignation. It's tough to read. They see the communication jamming devices and no real reaction after they lost their base in a surprise attack. Maybe I should just post that IC from Kip's POV. ???
DeepSpacer
Level 7

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:45 pm

You have to put things in perspective. You (the team) brought the jammer to their attention in the middle of an Imperial attack. They had more immediate, bigger worries at the time. If you'll recall, the general did immediately order that the device be handed to the officer best suited to studying it (Captain Harl Bess). And while this was going on everyone, including Bess, was busy slowing down the invaders and trying to evacuate the base. Now you're in a meeting that's taking place immediately after you (and the other Rebels) came out of jump. No one's had time to think, or make new plans. Everyone's still reeling from losing friends and worrying about what they're going to do next. You don't know this for a fact, but given how much time (or how little, to be more precise), you should be able to guess that Bess hasn't had time to do anything with the device.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if you suspect the aide to Setenna of being the traitor, then this meeting may not be the best place to discuss your concerns. But saying something now, or not, is your choice, and I won't take that away from you. You can certainly discuss things in private with whomever you wish to talk to, after this meeting. If you want to pursue the device issue, then track down Captain Bess and talk to him. If you want to pursue the traitor angle, talking to Urel Haydon, who's probably the most qualified person to help you find an Imperial spy, is your best bet. Or talk one of the senior military officers (like Commander Qurno).

As for "hit with following orders and protocols every time we want to deviate" you again need to keep in mind that the adventure up to this point was very linear because of circumstances. You're in a military organization and you were in a base that was under attack. No one had leeway to "deviate". Everyone was evacuating and/or fighting. Prior to the attack you didn't have any reason to investigate anything (to "deviate", as you call it) until you found the first device. Within minutes of finding that device the attack started, and you weren't even in the base and able to talk to anyone when the attack started. So precisely when do you think you could have "deviated" and done whatever you wanted? The only option to choose a different path was when you were heading to place the explosives, and had the group not stopped to do the "side quests" (as half the party wanted) there would have been bad consequences. Such as Urel Haydon being dead (because you didn't dig him out of the collapsed tunnel) and no longer available to help you in your investigation.

The only free time, until now, that the party has had was the roughly two hours after you first arrived at Arda. And you did spend that time doing whatever you wanted. The players have only been railroaded because for most of this adventure the characters never had the luxury of time to do anything other than follow orders. You've been reacting to events, events you (and the NPCs giving the orders) had zero control over. Besides the legal consequences for disobeying orders, had the PCs done anything other than follow their orders then really bad things would have happened to the PCs and the other Rebels. More people would have died. The base would have fallen into Imperial hands intact. That sort of stuff.

Regarding a mismatch between the mix of PCs and the tasks set to the PCs, the PCs have not been given any tasks. Investigating why the base was attacked is something that you can do, but you haven't been ordered to do it. Ditto for identifying the traitor. You were called to the meeting to be thanked for what you've done, not to receive more orders. But you don't know that. Perhaps you'll be getting new orders any second now. Perhaps not. It's in the "future", and that future, contrary to expectations based on prior experience, isn't set. The only thing that was destined is that the base would be attacked and everyone would have to evacuate. That's in the past now. How the adventure unfolds going forward has much to do with the choices the players make from now on.

You can bring up your concerns about there being a traitor somewhere in the Rebel fleet (perhaps in this very room) to Setenna and Commander Qurno. No one, including me as the GM, is stopping you from doing so. If you do, what you say and how you say it is entirely up to you. If you think that Var Narek is the traitor, you have no hard proof of this, only suspicion. So caution might be advisable. He's also standing there next to Setenna. Setenna and Qurno are aware of the device (Setenna was there when you gave it to the general), and likely suspect that there's a traitor, but the subject actually hasn't been discussed openly. At least not with the PCs present.

So your options (and this isn't a complete list) at this point are:

• Broach the subject of there being a traitor to the Rebel cause (who is probably somewhere in the fleet right now).
  • Ask for orders.
  • Say nothing and see what they tell you next.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Jedi Ronin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 am

Joran is going to keep his head down for now (and mouth mostly shut) until the meeting is over and he can take stalk of things and formulate a real plan with the other PCs in private - probably reaching out to Haydon at some point.
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby Jedi Ronin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:45 pm

Does anyone have any questions for Setenna or should we move on?
Do we want to take a rest before talking with Haydon and Bess?
Joran is pretty beat up so he should get some medical attention after resting (I don't recall if he's had a Medicine check to recover wounds this day)
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Welcome back. The answer to your medical question is 'no'. He hasn't had medical attention (yet) today. The other questions need to be answered by DeepSpacer and smkeyes (the latter of which hasn't posted since the day after New Year's, and I haven't seen logged on in weeks).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:11 pm

I think we're in a safe spot. Healing and rest then question later.
DeepSpacer
Level 7

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:44 am

Game's waiting on you, Jedi Ronin. Please let me know, in the OOC, what you're doing after the meeting, and if you're done speaking with Setenna you need to post IC in response to her question, so that we can get to that "after the meeting" stage.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Jedi Ronin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 am

Added IC moving things along. Joran is heading to the med bay then to bed.
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:35 am

And what is Joran doing in the med bay? Besides saying hello to Doctor Morrick? Is Joran going to ask about Major Yalor?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Jedi Ronin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:04 am

Joran would like to:
- Get patched up himself (get someone to do Med check to recover wounds, or he can do it himself if needed)
- See how Major Yalor is doing
- See if he can help out; help out immediately if needed for a short duration or the next day and ongoing
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:37 am

Doctor Morrick and the med droids have the situation in the med bay adequately in hand. As for getting yourself treated and inquiring about Yalor, you'll need to post IC for that.

And since DeepSpacer is currently running BX-187, it might be advisable to seek out a mechanic to do some repair work on the droid. Joran isn't the only PC in need of healing. Unless the players want to wait on seeking "healing" for the droid until you go pay a visit to Captain Bess.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Joran needs to make a Image Perception check.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Jedi Ronin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am

Perception: 2eA+1eD 0 successes, 1 threat
ImageImageImage

Oof
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Joran doesn't see Major Yalor in the med bay. Doesn't mean he's not there. He could easily be behind a privacy screen or in a private treatment room.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Doctor Morrick will stuff Joran into a bacta tank, which will tie him up for 6 hours (she's very good with bacta).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Jedi Ronin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:21 pm

Would BX know where to go to get repaired? I can adjust my IC post if needed.
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Well, the last time BX got an oil bath (much less than a day ago) he was in the main hangar at Arda base. So the cruiser's main hangar is a likely place. If not, someone there could certainly point him to where he ought to go.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:16 pm

I need a Image Perception check for BX.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context