Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Strike Force Isk - Onslaught at Arda I (IC)

IC Game Play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Strike Force Isk - Onslaught at Arda I (IC)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:24 am

Sector 42 all clear," crackled over the comm. "Moving on to Sector 43."

"Roger that, Vortex 6. I'm gonna buzz the canyon in Sector 17 before returning to base. Vortex 4 out."

Banking his airspeeder to the left, Jerrod Lourdas dropped down into the deep, rouge canyon below. They'd dubbed it Torrence Run in honor of Vortex Squadron's infamous leader, Rik Torrence, and no one could pilot the Run's terrifying twists and turns better.

Sweeping through the trench and around rocky outcroppings, Jerrod raised his craft above the opening to swing back towards another gorge known only as the Gauntlet.

"Arda Base, this is Vortex 4 returning from patrol. All clear as usual. Ready for access sequence."

"Thank you, Vortex 4, initiating computer autoguidance now," came the static reply. The cliffs and gorges scrambled most comm systems, and it had taken the Alliance months to perfect transmissions in the area.

Relaxing on his controls, Jerrod let Command and Control slave the vehicle to guide it through the dangerous twists and turns of the Gauntlet. Only the most skilled pilots could navigate the tight spaces of the canyon leading towards the Alliance hangar bay, adding another layer of protection to the base against enemy fighters.

His ship touched down in the hangar and Jerrod released his harness to begin his post-flight check. On the ground, technicians hurried to connect refueling lines and give the speeder a once-over, making sure it was ready to fly again at a moment's notice.

As he climbed down from his weathered and battered speeder, Jerrod saw Captain Harl Bess approaching. The base's chief of operations for all of its spacecraft and speeders called out, "Lourdas, anything out there?"

Jumping from the last step of the speeder's ladder, Jerrod handed his flight helmet to a waiting tech and smiled at the captain. "Just rocks and lizards, sir. Same as the last five days. I was almost hoping to run into some flyers just to fit in some target practice."

"Don't get cocky, kid. You never know when an Imperial patrol could target this world or send some probe droid to go poking around. Better pilots than you have let down their guard and paid with their lives."

"Just kidding with you, sir. I understand."

Bess gave Jerrod a stern look before pivoting to bark orders to another group prepping their ships in the massive hangar. Turning to head to the barracks, Jerrod nearly tripped over Var Narek, field assistant to
Setenna Hase, one of the base's ranking commanders.

"Sorry, sir, didn't see you there. Something I can do for you?" Jerrod asked.

Var Narek was a stickler for detail when carrying out Setenna's orders, which rubbed Jerrod and many of the lower-ranking Alliance soldiers the wrong way. Especially since his interpretation of the rules kept growing, it seemed.

"Lieutenant Lourdas, your flight path was not cleared to sweep Sector 17, and in doing so you left Sector 7 un-scanned. How do you know that you didn't miss something vital with this breach of protocol?"

"I'm sure the rocks and lizards won't mind. Besides, long range scanners showed no signs of any movement or activity anywhere out there," the lieutenant replied, waving his hand dismissively.

"I'm sure you know that sensors are unreliable throughout this entire area. Be sure you follow the prescribed flight paths, or you will find yourself removed from flight duty altogether."

Jerrod saluted ironically as the uptight commander stormed off. He'd like to see the lanky slicer try to go out there day after day, week after week, with nothing to break up the monotony. The pilot shrugged and headed to the habitat for a much-needed cold shower.

Jerrod stepped out of the offices and into the artificially lit corridors. According to his chrono it was nearly midnight; the game had stretched on for hours before the sabacc pot was won. Patting his winnings in his vest pocket, he cut across the hangar bay on his way to the barracks.

The lights in the hangar were dim to conserve the generators' power. He swore as he tripped on a cable stretched across the ground, followed by a distant clatter.

"Someone there?" he called out, freezing in place, his hand slowly going towards his holdout blaster.

From behind a rock column, Var Narek emerged, a datapad in his hands. "Oh, hello, Lourdas. What brings you out so late?"

"I was just heading back to my quarters. What are you doing back here?" Jerrod asked.

"Finishing some last minute checks of the maintenance logs. Setenna wants to make sure everything is squared away for tomorrow's mission."

"I hadn't heard about that..." Jerrod trailed off.

"I shouldn't have said anything. I'm sure you'll be briefed tomorrow," Var said quickly. "Well, it looks like I'm finished here. You should probably get some rest, too." It was less of a suggestion and more of an order.

"Yeah," the pilot nodded. "Probably."

Var followed him back to the habitat in silence, wishing him a good night when the hallway to the officer's quarters branched off. Jerrod had a bad feeling but couldn't put his finger on what it was.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Strike Force Isk - Onslaught at Arda I (IC)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:37 am

Over the last two decades, the dissidents and malcontents of the industrial planet Arda II banded together and reached out to other seditious groups and individuals who passed through the system on their way to the Spadja, Belderone, Vorzyd, Nuiri, and Rolion Sectors. Under the leadership of General Ran Niall, Senior Advisor Setenna Hase, and Commander Qurno, they established a permanent base in an abandoned mining operation on the desert planet Arda I. After many years of operating independently, Alliance High Command formally brought them into the Alliance and designated them a Sector Force (SecForce for short). The base has carried out multiple missions against the Empire, though only within the last several years has it done so in the name of the Alliance to Restore the Republic.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:07 am

Your Rebel strike team succeeded in repelling Moff Dardano's combined ground and air assault to retake Whisper base. But not without suffering heavy casualties: Telle Torrun, Caiden Tane, and Orrin Veth are all killed in action, with even greater losses amongst the volunteers from Darrastead village. Given that the assault included a score of battle-hardened stormtoopers and an AT-AT walker, the team's defense of the base was nothing short of inspired.

However, the base's usefulness to the Alliance was in the secrecy of its capture by Rebel forces. Just as its secret existence was for Moff Dardano against Admiral Corlen. Now that secrecy, for both the Alliance and the Moff, has been destroyed. Alliance Command decides to abandon the base, and the Rebel survivors evacuate using their captured Lambda-class shuttle. You are given coordinates to a new base, where you are to deliver the shuttle and report in for reassignment.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:41 am

"Approaching shuttle, come in. This is Major Yalor of Arda Base Control. We've been expecting you. If you have them, please transmit your slave circuit codes to be guided through the Gauntlet and into the main hangar."
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:17 am

"Hold on a moment while we input those codes. ... What? Something's not right. The computer guidance system should have taken over by now. Come in? Shuttle, come in, we're losing signal recep-"

The transmission from the base cuts out just as your on-board sensors begin to scramble. The red-purple sides of the canyon seem to envelop you as you pass under shadow after shadow of overhanging outcroppings. With no electronic readouts to go by, you're going to have to rely on visuals and your gut instincts.

Spoiler:
Now comes the hard part — actually flying though the impossible twists and turns of the canyon. The base entrance is deep beneath the planet's surface on the floor of the canyon, and the rock formations force any approaching ships and vehicles (anything silhouette 2 or larger) to enter the gorge at least two kilometers away.

During the first leg of the Gauntlet, the Piloting (Space) check's difficulty depends on the ship's speed and silhouette (which is 4) as described on page 254 of the AGE OF REBELLION Core Rulebook. The hairpin turns and rocky outcroppings add Image to any Piloting checks made in the Gauntlet. If the PCs succeed on the check, they manage to navigate the canyon. If they fail, they circle around and try again.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:35 am

BX settled back in the pilot's seat, steeling his nerves against the upcoming canyon run. He was no pilot droid, at least not anymore. In theory, basic starship operation was part of every commando droid's programing as part of the operations suite to get them in and out of combat zones. Confined to a single planet, however, BX had not needed that particular bit of programing in years.

"Where's a pilot droid when you need one?" He repeated to himself, as he flipped a few switches before settling one hand on the lateral controls and the other on the throttle. With great care and motor control, the commando droid lined the shuttle up with the start of the run and dialed back the throttle to the minimum speed at which the shuttle would still give even thrust. "Trooper-Medic, can you watch for outcroppings on the left?"

Spoiler:
I'm assuming Joren will provide unskilled assistance, thus the blue.
Pilot (Space): 4eA+1eB+1eC+1eD 2 successes, 1 Despair
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ooo, I made it! We weren’t actually using that stabilizer, were we?
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Jedi Ronin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:59 am

"I've got my eyes peeled, BX." Joran assured BX. "I don't think the Empire had canyon runs in mind when they built these shuttles but I'm sure we'll do fine."

Joran looked back and forth out of the window and to his instrument panel trying to provide BX with enough warning of obstacles and dangers...
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:52 am

The Trenxal scrapes the the canyon rim as it dives in. Your shields flare from the contact, of course unable to provide any protection at all from a physical collision. Joran quickly silences the automated collision alarm, and then also silences the automated proximity alarm.

As you fly deeper into the Gauntlet, two red sandstone chimneys loom on either side of the canyon. A boulder balances precariously on top of one of the spires, while the other seems to lean in towards the canyon, ready to fall at any moment.

Spoiler:
Negotiating the Devil's Spires requires some hotshot flying, and the twin obstacles add a terrifying
ImageImageImage to the Piloting (Space) check. If the check fails, the starship clips one of the spires and collapses it, sustaining 1 hull trauma. On a Despair the ship takes 5 hull trauma from falling rocks. With a success the ship clears the spires, but the Gauntlet's not over yet.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:55 pm

"That was too close!" BX replies, as Joren finishes shutting down the collision alarms. With careful movements, the droid eased the shuttle nearer to the center of the canyon, his reaction time doing far more than skill at keeping the craft centered. Spotting the designated gap between the two massive geological hazards, he careful slides the slow-moving shuttle through without harm.

Spoiler:
Pilot (Space): 4eA+1eB+1eC+1eD+3eS 1 success, 5 advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Woo! I'm getting better at this!
Unless there's something special for it, I'd like to use the advantage to get a Blue on my next check. Can I use the rest to also remove a black?
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Suddenly, the rocks seem to come alive. That's no boulder! Flocks of reptilian creatures with red scales and purple wings hurtle towards your shuttle, screeching. You feel the starship shudder and lurch. There must be one latched onto your hull!

Spoiler:
Normally, it wouldn't be too much trouble to simply maneuver above the low-flying reptiles, but the PCs' starship is trapped in the canyon with nowhere to go but straight ahead! The flocks also represent environmental hazards, adding an additional Image to any Piloting checks made during the ensuing combat to dodge their erratic flight (for a combined total of ImageImage from the environment and the creatures).

All PCs must roll Vigilance (in the OOC thread), as you're entering combat.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Jedi Ronin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Joran's hands moved swiftly over the controls to boost the stabilizers to give BX better control of the shuttle as they continued on their course. "BX, hopefully this will help — and don't forget our primary target: landing safely at the base".

Spoiler:
Joran Co-Pilot check: 2eA+2eD 1 success, 1 threat
ImageImageImageImage

Maneuver: Assist to add a Boost to next PC action (BX)
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby Quicksilver » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:55 am

"Roger, roger." BX replied in an almost disappointed tone to Joren's reminder. The droid's hands already on the firing controls, lining up a shot on one of the creatures. With a careful pull of the controls, he eased the craft back on track for the Arda I base, lining up the canyon walls and continued pushing forward at the slow, just over stall speeds. After a moment, he fired the laser cannons anyway. The barrage of scarlet shots flew out, battering the canyon wall across the way. The noise and lethal lights scattered the flying creatures out of the craft's immediate path, making the transit a bit easier.

"I meant to do that." BX noted, unconvincingly.

Spoiler:
Action: Shoot the creatures
Maneuver: Close Distance
Maneuver: Close Distance
Gunnery: 2eP+2eA+3eD 0 successes, 3 advantage Extra Difficulty (Gunnery): 1eD+1eS 0 successes, 1 threat
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage [url=http://orokos.com/roll/391188]ImageImage [/url]
(Edit: Size 1)
(With 2 advantage, I'll give a die to my second roll)
Corrected (Pilot): Corrected (Pilot): [u]4eA+1eB+1eC+1eD+3eS 4 successes
(A nice clean pass)
Correction 2 (Pilot): 4eA+2eB+1eC+1eD+3eS 1 success, 1 advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
(An even better pass! I'll pass a blue to V'Jax as I keep strain off the engines or hold the ship steady for a shot, or whatever makes sense with his action)
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:36 am

The first trio of creatures in this pack strike at the shuttle from its unshielded left flank, penetrating the ship's armor and damaging the sublight engines.

Spoiler:
aimed attack w/DP: 3eP+1eA+1eD+1eB 2 successes, 3 advantage, 1 Triumph
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
crit: 1d100 46 (Component Hit: Sublight Engines)

The second trio of creatures slams into the same side of the shuttle, ripping huge chunks out of the vessel's hull plating which damages some of the steering controls causing an alteration in the ship's vector by 90° to face the canyon wall.

Spoiler:
aimed attack w/DP: 3eP+1eA+1eD+3eB 5 successes, 3 advantage, 1 Triumph
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
crit: 1d100 23+10=33 (Knocked Off Course: On next turn, pilot cannot execute any maneuvers. Instead, must make a Piloting check to regain bearings and resume course.)
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Dr Lucky » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:57 pm

Responding to the immediate threat, V'Jax quickly jumps from the engineering station to man the shuttle's guns. Taking a deep breath, he focuses on the controls, aims the weapons, and fires to considerable effect.

Spoiler:
Gunnery: 3eA+1eB+4eD 3 successes, 3 threat
correction: 1eB 0 successes, 1 advantage
correction: 1eS 0 successes
Maneuver to change seats
Maneuver to aim (2 strain)
Action to fire
Last edited by ShadoWarrior on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added missing Boost die from BX, and missing Setback from flyers
Dr Lucky
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:17 am

The blaster cannon fire rips through an entire group, blowing apart three of the creatures and leaving just one trio harassing your shuttle.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Jedi Ronin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:08 pm

"Nice shot!" Joran exclaims as he tries to keep a helpful eye on the rock walls, boulders and stony outcroppings, as the ship zips through the canyon...

Spoiler:
Joran Copilot Check: 2eA+2eD 1 failure, 1 threat
ImageImageImageImage

Maneuver: Assist to add Boost to next action
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:18 am

"Wall, Wall, Wall!" BX exclaimed as the shuttle finished being battered around erratically. He pulled hard on the controls, trying desperately to curve the shuttle back around before it came directly in contact with the canyon's surface. His lack of specialized training, however, quickly showed itself as he proved unable to cut the corner tight enough. As the ugly sounds of a grazing impact echoed through the shuttle, he cut the power to the sublight engines, brought the ship to a halt as well. "Ow."

Spoiler:
Action:
Don't Crash (Pilot): 4eA+1eB+1eC+1eD+2eS 1 failure, 2 advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
(Well… Luck was bound to run out eventually.)
Maneuver: Decelerate to 0 (to avoid another crash)
Maneuver: Aid another - V'Jax, by freeing up power for whatever action he takes
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:36 pm

On the heels of the collision, the remaining creatures attack the now-stationary vessel with even greater frenzy, ripping apart enormous amounts of the shuttle's hull plating. A new flashing red indicator warns of dangerously low structural integrity.

Spoiler:
The collision with the canyon wall inflicts 5 HT.

aimed attack: 2eP+2eA+1eD+3eB 7 successes
After armor (soak), the shuttle takes a further 6 HT. Orokos hates you.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Dr Lucky » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:24 am

V'Jax focuses on the creatures, slowly exhales, and loses himself in concentration as he aims the shuttle guns. After doing everything he can to line up the perfect shot, he pulls the trigger and winces as the winged creatures glide right between the blaster bolts.

Spoiler:
Gunnery: 1eP+2eA+3eB+4eD+1eS 1 failure, 1 advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maneuver to Aim
Maneuver to Aim (2 strain)
Action to fire (with DP)
1 Advantage to send a Boost to the next PC.
Dr Lucky
Level 4

Postby Jedi Ronin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:13 pm

Joran winced at the sound of grinding metal and the shriek of the creatures.
Sparks flew in the cabin and Joran set about patching the ship up as best he could in the few moments he had.

"Well, that's something at least, I don't know how much more we can take!"

Spoiler:
Damage Control
http://orokos.com/roll/392662: 2eA+2eP+2eD 2 successes, 1 advantage
Jedi Ronin
Level 4

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:57 pm

"Rotate ship, Rotate ship. Should be around here somewhere." BX stated conversationally to himself as flicked switches and pushed buttons along the ship's control panel. "Ah, too much, too much! Now we're facing the other wall. Oh, that one's just altitude. Maybe over here? No, wait, that's also altitude. Oh, hyperdrive, don't need that. These things are a lot harder to fly then those speederbikes."

Spoiler:
Don't Crash (Pilot): 4eA+1eB+1eC+1eD+2eS 2 failures, 5 advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hey, look at that, still can't get the ship straight. At least we're not going anywhere. I'd like to use the advantage to 1) gain 1 Melee Defense, 2) give myself a boost next turn.
Oh, and Maneuver to aid V'Jax with his next action.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:48 pm

The creatures strike the shuttle's main shield generator, disabling the shields and sending feedback through the power distribution system that causes a small explosion and starts a fire in the circuitry bay. More red lights flash on in the cockpit, along with a new (fire) alarm to sound over the ship's internal comm.

Spoiler:
aimed attack: 2eP+2eA+1eD+1eB 3 successes, 4 advantage
correction: 1eS 1 failure
crit: 1d100 94+10=104 (Shield Overload)
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Dr Lucky » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:18 am

Again V'Jax lets loose the ship's blasters, spraying a sustained blast towards the winged creatures. He can't track them fast enough to score a clean hit, but he tries to steer them enough to keep them roughly in the path of the shuttle's weaponry.

"BX! Shoot them down, now! That's an order!"

As the desperate situation played out, V'Jax wondered whether he really had authority to order the droid. Regardless, someone needed to kick BX into action.

Spoiler:
Gunnery: 1eP+2eA+2eB+4eD+1eS 2 failures, 4 advantage
Maneuver to Aim
Action to fire (with DP)
- 1 Advantage to give a Boost on the next player's action (I'm assuming this will be BX)
- 2 Advantage to give a Boost on Joran's next action (I'm assuming he'll follow BX)
- 1 Advantage to recover one Strain
Maneuver to Assist BX (2 Strain)
Dr Lucky
Level 4

Postby Quicksilver » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:19 pm

"Wha?" BX vocalized as he looked back in V'Jax's direction. He realizes what was said about the moment he does, and quickly turns back to the controls with unusual mechanical percussion, as though falling back into well developed programming. With methodical accuracy, he lined up the shuttle's laser cannons on the flapping creatures as they passed across the front of the ship in their furious assault.

Spoiler:
Maneuver: True Aim
Maneuver: Extra Aim (2 strain)
Action: Destiny Gunnery
Shuttle Blasting (Gunnery): 4eP+4eB+4eD+2eS 2 successes, 1 advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Well I succeeded, but not quite as dramatically as I hoped. Hopefully that'll take out at least one though.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:38 pm

The shuttle's largest weapons blast apart the last trio of creatures, ending their assault in a spray of blood, bone, and gobbets of flesh. The rest of the creatures in the canyon appear disinclined to tangle with your ship.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Next

Return to In Context