Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Space Ship stuff

Discussion of combat and the rest of the mechanics that make the game work.

Space Ship stuff

Postby DoctorWho » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:32 pm

How do scanners work? I was looking around, is it just a Computer Use roll against a pre-set difficulty for range?

Is there an opposed roll for attempting to fly stealthy? Like Pilot(Space), or is there a way to jamm sensors to not get noticed?

If I named a skill wrong, that's 'cause my core rulebook is currently half a state away right now, apologies.
DoctorWho
Level 15

Re: Space Ship stuff

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:37 am

Unlike with Saga Edition, FFG has abstracted sensor mechanics. While this gives GMs a great deal of flexibility it also lacks any sort of guidance and it's a gaping hole in the system. Enough of my ranting. For ships, you are correct that it is a Computers skill check, with the GM left to assign whatever difficulty they think is appropriate. And, IIRC, stealth applies a modifier to the dice pool.

Below are links to two threads on FFG discussing this topic:
https://community.fantasyflightgames.co ... f-sensors/
https://community.fantasyflightgames.co ... emy-ships/

As you may know, I've got my own house rules for sensors. The FFG system expects GMs to treat the subject narratively. But, sometimes, players really need something a tad more detailed and structured.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Space Ship stuff

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:44 pm

Yeah, I was planning on using your house rules, but I wanted to check that I wasn't just crazy and missing the section in the book on it.
DoctorWho
Level 15

Return to Mandalore