Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Rogue Trader

If you want to start a game, start a thread here first.

Re: Rogue Trader

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:31 am

Personal stuff like discussing character design with the GM should either be done in PM, or in the Character Review forum, which exists for the sole purpose of presenting character proposals to the GM (and to other players) and receiving feedback on same.

For those of you that may not have already done so, please go through the various forums on this board and read the various topics designed to aid new members to this board.

BTW, in case you hadn't already noticed by virtue of my handle's unique (green) color, I am not just a player and GM on this board but this board's admin as well.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Grimgit » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:10 am

Well Dark Eldar are pretty worthy of hatred :p

Though I'm pretty sure you can still hate Orks and tolerate one Ork. As for Imperial space I've honestly never seen why that is a problem. Unless you're flaunting your xenos crewmembers then they're less than one crew member in a thousand.

They're probably only coming into contact with 2-5% of your crew (assuming you don't just have a servator crew) so the likelyhood of anyone important ever finding out is pretty low.

Still if folks want an all human crew I'm up for a different character. Have we settled on a theme yet?
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Carch » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:46 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Personal stuff like discussing character design with the GM should either be done in PM, or in the Character Review forum, which exists for the sole purpose of presenting character proposals to the GM (and to other players) and receiving feedback on same.

For those of you that may not have already done so, please go through the various forums on this board and read the various topics designed to aid new members to this board.

BTW, in case you hadn't already noticed by virtue of my handle's unique (green) color, I am not just a player and GM on this board but this board's admin as well.

ahh. sorry. I will do that in future.
Carch
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:47 am

Don't worry Carch, it's one of the most common mistakes here, and I should have mentioned it – if anyone is putting up a character more than a sentence or two, please drop it in Character Review. If you're looking for approval of specific aspects, then go ahead and PM me.

If you don't mind Grimgit, I think it would be best if you played a human character. As Carch noted, there are social difficulties that would complicate the game for our new players. I will also note that the Rogue Trader books, while very helpful for ideas and background, aren’t going to be directly used. If they're aren’t objections, I'm going to use FFG's Star Wars system (I just posted a link to How-to-Play here). If not, then we'll fall back to Fate, from which the core book can be downloaded for free. Of course, as Fate is a universal system, there will still be conversion rules involved.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Grimgit » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:58 pm

Okay that seems fair.

I'm probably not going to learn a new game system at the moment as time is fairly limited but I'm fairly happy to just throw a background at the GM and the things I want the character to be good at/bad at and see what happens.

That is if the GM is okay with that.

Theme wise do we have one?
We have a new Rogue Trader who is as yet unused to command and a potentially psychopathic tech priest but what is the Dynastic focus going to be? Are we hard core profiteers or do we have noble goals and the opulent wealth is just a means to an end?
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:01 pm

I'm sorry, but I had to remove Quicksilver's topic which provided a link to a PDF of the FFG EotE Beginners' Game. That is/was a violation of this site's Terms of Service. However, if anyone wishes to obtain links to any of FFG's Star Wars material, a PM to a certain friendly site admin can hook you up.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:37 pm

BTW, since none of the new members to this board have asked, yet, I thought I ought to mention that dice rolling for the PbP games here is done at Orokos. You might want to start becoming familiar with how to use that site.

This concludes today's public service announcements. :P
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Carch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:20 am

I think I've got the hang of the dice roll site. It's not too different from another one I've used in the past.

as for what kind of dynasty we have. someone mentioned bringing back lost colonies? or even starting new ones. maybe. really I'd be up for pretty much anything I guess.
Carch
Level 1

Postby Potato » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:27 am

Hm. The Dynasty is not ours, it's the Rogue Trader's parent. What would they do? The parent could be an upright and moral trader, making money through honest business and acumen. They could hold land in the Expanse... Oh, I know! What if we start out helping to expand the Dynasty's holdings? What if we were sent to oversee the colonisation of a planet in the name of [INSERT PARENT HERE]?

Also I think I've gotten the hang of Orokos. Also also I don't actually know how to build a character, so I might have to send a PM.
Potato
Level 1

Postby Carch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:41 am

Potato wrote:Hm. The Dynasty is not ours, it's the Rogue Trader's parent. What would they do? The parent could be an upright and moral trader, making money through honest business and acumen. They could hold land in the Expanse... Oh, I know! What if we start out helping to expand the Dynasty's holdings? What if we were sent to oversee the colonisation of a planet in the name of [INSERT PARENT HERE]?

Also I think I've gotten the hang of Orokos. Also also I don't actually know how to build a character, so I might have to send a PM.

well. since QS is going to have to modify the star wars game system for the rogue trader setting. we'll probably have to send a pm to get character creation sorted.
Carch
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:17 am

Thank you, Shado, for keeping an eye on those pesky little things like Terms of Service. On a related note, do you think we could get a new forum created so I could start posting some of the conversion/house rule information up. (here's an icon) Because they were written with the assumption that one as access to Edge of the Empire, they won't be entirely complete, but the rest of the information can be communicated by PM.

For the dynasty, it's true that having the Parent makes for a convenient quest giver, which is nice because I had a thread-adventure I was going to start with anyway. Otherwise it doesn't seem like anyone's particularly against/for, save for shying away from too much magic & religion focus, which is easy enough. We'll also see what Swrider comes up with for little bits of the family history.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:28 am

Before I can create your new game forums I'll need an actual name for the campaign. Or do you really want to call it "Rogue Trader"? :P

With regard to access to the EotE rules, no one has PMed me about them, so I must either assume that everyone has the rules, or knows how to get them already and doesn't need any assistance from me as far as getting a torrent link. :?

Lastly, I don't see a role claim for either DarthSmeg or Grimgit in post #1, so I have no idea what sort of concepts that leaves me. :roll: I was waiting for everyone else to stake their claims and was intending to try to fill whatever 'hole' was left over. But if you, O illustrious GM, have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:30 pm

Oh, name, right. I think I forgot that last time to. :oops:
Let's call it "Fortune's Gate"

Neither DarthSmeg (who (noted to me) is on vacation with spotty internet) nor Grimgit have solidified on a character role. Smeg also said he'd play what-ever, so he can fill in with what's left, particularly in a more lore-heavy position.

*shuffles papers*

We currently have openings in:
Ship operations (Helmsmen and, depending on Swrider's build, the ship's actual commander)
Militant positions (Personal combat skills or boarding/ground combat command)
Actual Explorers (Archeologist, Scout, Outdoor experts)
Rogues (Thief, Racketeer)
(That's leaving off Psycker, Navigator, Minister and other Lore-heavy positions.)
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby swrider » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:24 pm

I have a basic character outline up in the character review thread. mostly ffg mechanics and skills. I have not taken an obligation nor created a backstory yet as I have not had time... (I've been doing a hospital inspection the last two days). I'll get more up this weekend.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: May 24-25th
Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:41 pm

I've been thinking about the dynasty and have an idea which I wanted to through out for opinions.
What if our dynasty was a Loan Shark/ Banking dynasty and we are the repossession/ loan processors/ collections group for expansion in the.... whatever the outer rim is called in this game.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby Potato » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:45 pm

So, scion of a wealthy Dynasty, whose Rogue Trader has taken to lending and financial businesses in retirement and is currently giving you field experience by having you act as recollections? That's plausible, but you'd need to find a way to strike out on your own and act on your own initiative at some point. Cause you're not going to see all that much of the Expanse otherwise.
Potato
Level 1

Postby swrider » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:51 pm

repossessions and collections would be a part of the gig, but creating new accounts and new loans would be the opportunity to strike out on our own.

After all what use is repossessing a colony unless you are funding a new colonial governor (or equivalent) to run the colony from who you can make a profit.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby Potato » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:54 pm

Right, fair enough. Sounds like a plan. I'm going to put together something to PM to QS now.
Potato
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Thats an interesting idea. Rogue Traders have certainly ducked out on things before, and every dynasty needs a good financial footing back home. You probably don't want to box yourself in too much, but bankers/financial is a good foundation. (See Medici)

Indeed, Your very warrant may have come to your family by repossession after a particularly spectacularly failed investment by a client :D
Last edited by Quicksilver on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Carch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:43 pm

it would be very much in line with some rogue traders. the very reckless ones, or so down on their luck they have to put their warrant as a asset to get a loan.
Carch
Level 1

Postby Potato » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:48 pm

Sent a PM to QS but not sure if it's sent yet. Anyway, I've been thinking more on Space Medici and I like it. Like, a lot. It lets us have money, lets us have a purpose, and most importantly of all, it gives plenty of room for the head of the Dynasty to be very shady indeed in secret.
Potato
Level 1

Postby swrider » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:56 pm

PM on this board will stay in your outbox until they are opened by the other person. You have the ability to edit them until the other person looks at it. It is a little weird, but I actually like how it works.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:07 pm

Quicksilver wrote:Oh, name, right. I think I forgot that last time to. :oops:
Let's call it "Fortune's Gate"

Oops indeed. That's strike two. :P

Your shiny new forums are now up. Let me know if there are any permissions issues, or anything else that you need from me.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Grimgit » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:27 pm

Okay if we're going to shy away from religious or lore heavy roles and base our dynasty loosely on the Medici then perhaps some characters can be newly acquired assets.

How about I play an information broker of sorts... not a senschal as such (that role is already filled) more a xenologist/archeologist who is an absolutely upstanding Imperial citizen and has absolutely not undergone dubious xenos surgery to listen through the ears of potentially any servator. :twisted:
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Potato » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:43 am

Any role can be lore heavy with some tweaking. Speaking of which, I think I'll post my character for review once we get the home world race replacements.
Potato
Level 1

PreviousNext

Return to Game Listings