Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Trial By Fire - Act I (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Re: Trial By Fire - Act I (OOC)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:13 pm

Spoiler:
PDF copies of the new system may be pirated from the Mega link in the top post of the thread at http://www.the12parsecs.com/forum/m/2215720/viewthread/12043227-star-wars-roleplaying-materials . The new system has three separate, mutually-compatible, core rulebooks: Edge of the Empire (for independent adventurers), Age of Rebellion (for characters already in the Rebellion), and Force and Destiny (for characters that begin with Force-sensitivity). F&D is currently still in beta, so those rules are somewhat in flux.

FFG's Star Wars is skills-based (like the stuff from White Wolf or Shadowrun), not level-based like d20. Careers are roughly equivalent to d20's classes, and talents are roughly equivalent to d20 feats. A starting non-Force-using PC in FFGSW is considerably harder to kill than a level-1 character in d20, and is more capable in terms of skills use. OTOH, Force-users in this system are far weaker than in any other SWRPG. They don't become effective as Force-users until they achieve Knight-level (which is considered to be 150 XP) or not far from it (in my experience, at least 100xp), depending on how the character has been developed.

The game that I am currently running is EotE-based, and none of the PCs are Force-sensitive. Whether the players transition in the future to become Rebels is something that the players will have to decide for themselves, if ever. At present they don't even know how to contact anyone in the Rebellion, nor have any of them expressed any hint that they might want to try to. With the unfortunate departure of Teknon from gaming, the party now lacks a player controlling the absolutely critical role of a face character. Anyone joining this game may take over Teknon's face character (who has already earned 15xp), or create a new one of their own (with zero xp). I have openings for 1-2 characters (one must be a face). The archetypical roles of close-combat, medic, and tech are already spoken for. What the party lacks, besides a face, is a rogue (key attribute: Cunning; key skill: Skulduggery; lesser skills: Deception, Streetwise, Stealth), an ace pilot (a useful role, but not a critical one), and a heavy gunner (also useful, but even less critical than a good pilot).

By 'role' I mean a character that is built (and optimized) to be as effective as possible for a very narrowly focused purpose. That means pumping up one key attribute and usually only 1-2 skills. For the following roles, that would be:
  • Face - Presence; Charm + Negotiation
  • Tech - Intellect; Computers + Mechanics
  • Rogue - Cunning; Skulduggery
  • Medic - Intellect; Medicine
  • Ace Pilot - Agility; Piloting (Space)
  • Close-combat - Brawl; Melee
  • Gunner - Agility; Gunnery + Ranged (Heavy)
The above list is in descending order of how important the role is to overall party success at accomplishing most missions (IMO). Note that since both medic and tech have the same key attribute it is possible to create a 'fixer' character build that does both. My experience is that such a character would begin with a tech career and then, if they really wanted to, pick up a medical specialization later on (preferably after the game has started rather than during the initial build process). With apologies to DoctorWho, I have discovered that the medic is not a mission-critical role. While it's very useful, as it greatly increases the rate of healing of party members, a party can manage without a dedicated healer if they are careful, they have the right gear, and the tech is built optimally (or at least what I consider to be 'optimal').

I haven't reviewed the current PCs in our game, but I suspect that none of them are built as well as they could be for their roles. I, as GM, and the players, have all learned a lot about this system since we began the game last year. And, before anyone asks, yes, I will allow the players to rebuild their characters if they wish to do so. If any of you want my advice/opinion on what you might do, please feel welcome to ask me.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:16 pm

I would like to redo my character. I should have Sienn updated within the next couple days. And yes Shado, I would love some helpful pointers if you get the chance to look after I get her up.

I could also probably get some knowledge skill stuff going on if we need those.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:58 pm

First, don't put any points into ranks in Knowledge skills (other than any you may get for free from species). I have not found any of the Knowledge skills to be critical to success in any of the modules that I have worked through.

Second, most species will have 100 XP to spend during the initial build. IMO, you should avoid species with only 90. You should select a species that starts with a '3' in the attribute that your role's key skill uses. For example, a medic or tech would be optimally built based upon a Mon Calamari (from the AoR core book), while a pilot should be a Sullustan or a Duro. A face should be a Gran (or Twi-lek), Rogues should be Bothans, and I favor Trandoshans for melee. 90 of your 100 available build XP should be used to raise your key attribute from 3 to 5. Attributes are the only thing that you cannot raise with XP after play begins, and you're better off with a high attribute in your key area than in having a bunch of skill ranks and/or talents. Spreading your points across multiple attributes or skills creates a mediocre (at best) generalist rather than a character that is really good at their profession (role). Starting characters cannot begin with more than 2 ranks in any skill, and the ranks that you get for free, if you pick your species, career, and specialization carefully should be enough to get by with at game's start. Remember that the 5 in your key attribute will give you a lot of dice. For a medic or tech, that's 5 ability dice for every Intellect-based skill, regardless of whether you have any ranks in the skill or not. For a pilot or gun-bunny, that's 5 in every Agility-based skill. (Yes, my pilots also tend to be my best gun-toters. It's just how this system works for us min-max type gamers.)

It's only in the specialization trees that you have to be careful in how you build your characters. In EotE, for example, the career that has the tree (specialization) best suited to a tech is not the same career that has medical stuff. And the career with the best tree for pilots is not the career best suited to shooters. Which is why my pilots may be good shooters, but not as good at shooting as a character built first and foremost as a shooter. Ditto a tech who also heals. They will always be behind a character that was built as a healer from the beginning, if for no other reason than the dedicated healer was able to devote more points into being a healer.

Another tip is that given a choice between Brawl as a 'dump' stat (a stat that your species starts with a '1' in), and Cunning, favor Brawl. Brawl is critical for wound threshold, soak, carrying capacity, and Athletics checks (which happen a lot more often than I had first thought before I played through all of the available adventure modules). Most non-rogue PCs will rarely use Cunning-based skills or be forced to make a Cunning-based skill check.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:12 pm

I don't think I'm going to go with Mon Calamari, mainly because, as fun as optimization is, I'd like to roleplay a bit more than simply optimize. I'm thinking Chiss, if that's allowed, if not, I will do Mon Calamari. I'll just have to read up on their race and stuff, I've never really read any of the novels that featured them prominently.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'll let you know if I have any more questions as I update my character.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Thespius, I haven't heard a peep from you in over a week. Nor have I seen anything more from ArrolDin.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Thespius » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 am

Here. Sorry. I don't have plans to make major alterations, just a few tweaks here and there. I'll work on them before Thursday.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby ArrolDin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 am

Hi Shado

I couple posts up, you mentioned me. Thanks for the invitation to the game, but I don't know or have the game mechanics. And I don't have the time to invest in the learning them at the moment.

cheers
ArrolDin
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:24 pm

DoctorWho, if/when you change your species, please don't forget to rename the character and post a new database thread for him/her. Changing species is, in effect, creating a new character, even if you are keeping the old character's accrued XP and items.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:33 pm

OK, can do.

EDIT: Same equipment, or can I respec that?
Last edited by DoctorWho on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby Thespius » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:53 pm

Got called in on multiple field trips, did not get the time I thought I'd have. Didn't get a chance to look at revamping characters.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:25 pm

DoctorWho wrote:EDIT: Same equipment, or can I respec that?
You can respec what you paid for, but not the gear that you looted.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that you may need to adjust your character's backstory a bit when you change species, since most Mon Cal's in this era hail from Dac and not whichever planet you had selected for Sienn. You may need to rewrite more than just the planet of origin. I'll, of course, leave how much to tweak up to you. And before you ask, you may also change your motivation and/or obligation type.

With Arrol declining to play (despite my posting a link to where he can find the rules), we're left with a bit of a quandary. Someone, other than myself, must play a face. That role is absolutely the most critical in an EotE/AoR group, and it's a role that I cannot give to a GM-run NPC. I don't suppose that Doc would be willing to run two characters? Please?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm definitely changing the backstory. It'll still be a she, but with only a 1 in cunning, she's going to have to be pretty naive with a sheltered upbringing. Thus a new obligation is also needed, as well as a new motivation. Probably won't be much tragedy.

I guess I can run another character, I'm really not doing anything other than GMing right now, so it should be fine.

Species restrictions?
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Any species from any of the three core books, except for Chiss. For a face, I'd recommend a Gran, with Twi'lek being a second-best choice. As I posted earlier, you should endeavor to start with a '5' in Presence (Gran and Twi'leks get a ''3') and 90 XP (out of 100) will boost that to 5. You should use the remaining 10 XP to raise a skill rank from 1 to 2. (Charm and Negotiation both at 2, with Charm being the more important of those two skills.) After you have built the basic character, and spent up to 10 XP from Obligation on more cash and/or starting XP, then you will have 16 more XP (which is what Titus earned) to apply. You will not have a starship. I will explain why/how later, once we're ready to resume gameplay with the rebuilt party. Don't forget that since you're creating a new character for the face to roll 1d100 for additional credits - after you buy starting gear.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:53 pm

I put the doctor up for character review, I'm still working on the face character.

The face character is going to be a Politico or a Scoundrel, I'm still thinking right now.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby Thespius » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:23 pm

I apologize for my complete lack of posting here, it's ridiculous and doesn't really have an excuse. This time of year I just kind of get down on myself and end up avoiding social obligations like this game. I''m really sorry, going to look at my characters and make adjustments soon.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:40 pm

I understand. I'm not fond of this time of year, either. For me, this game is the only social interaction I have with anyone else, so I look forward to it. Sorry if saying that pressures you in any way. Just telling you my side. The game is supposed to be fun for everyone involved. If you ever feel that it's a chore, step back until your head's back in it. I'll wait. Assuming this crappy time of year doesn't kill me in the interim.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Thespius » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm glad you understand, and I don't really want to step back. Just hope you can be patient with me for a while.

I got crazy sick today from just allergies, might be in recovery mode for a bit, then I'm coming back to this game full force.

I'm kind of wondering if starting something new might give me a second wind, it's been so long since I've run anything it might actually be refreshing to be behind the GM screen again.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:00 pm

If you ever start up a Pathfinder game online (seeing as you said you want to be behind a GM screen again), I'd play with complete strangers on another site even. I haven't gotten to play in a while, and I have a character idea that I've been dying to play.

Or Star Wars, it could work in a Star Wars game to.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby DoctorWho » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:04 am

So, how's everybody doing? How are the holidays shaping up for you guys?
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Badly. As usual for me at this time of year.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Just posting to make sure this board doesn't get deleted due to inactivity (which happened to all of my own forums last year).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:04 pm

Kind of sad everything kind of died here. I've been trying to drum up some people that might want to play online that I know, but none are very interested.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Previous

Return to Out of Context