Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

American Football

Real life discussions. Marriages, children, puppies, complaining about your brother-in-law, whatever...

American Football

Postby Teknon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:40 pm

The topic came up in an OOC thread a few minutes ago, and to avoid hijacking it farther, I thought I'd make a thread here for Football discussion.

Please keep it civil! :D
User avatar
Teknon
Jedi Master
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Pierce County, Washington

Re: American Football

Postby Teknon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 pm

the_skald wrote:
Teknon wrote:I know the feeling.



I remember that game, but I wasn't overly interested in Pro Football until I actually moved to an area with a team. I am, however, a rabid fan of the original blue-and-orange Broncos :)


Oh, from now on I'll see Denver with different eyes LOL! Which pro team do you root for? Uhm... I guess it would be better to start a topic about football... :)


I started following the Seahawks about 5 years ago, but I'm still more of a College Football fan than NFL.
User avatar
Teknon
Jedi Master
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Pierce County, Washington

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:51 am

I suspected as much, because I googled your location some time ago. :)

You know what? I've always found the Seahawks nice even before they where relocated in the NFC, when they used to battle in the AFC West against the Broncos. Steve Largent was my first "discovery" at WR position. :)

In 2009 I managed to attend the Giants' season opener against the Redskins in the old "Giants Stadium". One of the best days of my life (as a single, of course): it was awesome! :D

The fool right here it's me! LOL!

Image
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby Teknon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:03 pm

I bet that was a lot of fun. I've no had the opportunity to attend a professional game, but that would be pretty fun.




If you're a fan of American football, you'll enjoy the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, if you've not watched it. The whole game is good, but the final 2 minutes of regulation (Timestamp:2:25:20) and the overtime make this one of the best finishes in college football.
User avatar
Teknon
Jedi Master
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Pierce County, Washington

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Teknon wrote:If you're a fan of American football, you'll enjoy the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, if you've not watched it. The whole game is good, but the final 2 minutes of regulation (Timestamp:2:25:20) and the overtime make this one of the best finishes in college football.


Thank you very much for the link, Tek: it will be my first step into a wider world... I've never watched a college football game and I still do not know its rules and tournament structure.

I'll give you a shout as soon as I'm able to watch it. :)




I bet that was a lot of fun. I've no had the opportunity to attend a professional game, but that would be pretty fun.


It was such a great experience! My wife and I went to the stadium hours before the kick off on purpose to mix with the crowd and taste the flavour of the event: families having a barbecue, kids playing touch-football, adulta watching other nfl games on huuuuge TVs hanging from a van's side... It was pure joy, a party... An expwrience So damned different to the european approach to our football (which you call soccer).

Soccer fans here give vent to their wrath - a way to take some sort of revenge against the society and personal frustrations - usually producing vandalisms and antisportmanlike conducts; moreover soccer means money and europeans, I think, are not as good as americans at business. Match results can be rigged and some teams are more equal than others, using a popular line from Orwell's Animal Farm novel.
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm going to post another pic tomorrow from that fateful september 13th of 2009, that better depicts the way you celebrate and prepare yourselves before a game - because I'm not sure I'm able to describe it. :)
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby Teknon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:13 pm

the_skald wrote:Thank you very much for the link, Tek: it will be my first step into a wider world... I've never watched a college football game and I still do not know its rules and tournament structure.

I'll give you a shout as soon as I'm able to watch it. :)


As far as rules go, they are fairly close. The main differences are laid out here. I think the only thing that they miss are the overtime rules, and those are laid out in this graphic




the_skald wrote:It was such a great experience! My wife and I went to the stadium hours before the kick off on purpose to mix with the crowd and taste the flavour of the event: families having a barbecue, kids playing touch-football, adults watching other nfl games on huuuuge TVs hanging from a van's side... It was pure joy, a party... An experience So damned different to the european approach to our football (which you call soccer).

Soccer fans here give vent to their wrath - a way to take some sort of revenge against the society and personal frustrations - usually producing vandalisms and antisportmanlike conducts; moreover soccer means money and europeans, I think, are not as good as americans at business. Match results can be rigged and some teams are more equal than others, using a popular line from Orwell's Animal Farm novel.


I do enjoy tailgating, though some go a lot bigger that I ever did. It's very interesting to get an outside perspective on it though.
User avatar
Teknon
Jedi Master
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Pierce County, Washington

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:06 am

I do enjoy tailgating, though some go a lot bigger that I ever did. It's very interesting to get an outside perspective on it though.


Tailgating: that's how it is called! Thanks, Tek. Here are some more pics. :)

Image

Image

Image

Image

I still haven't seen the college football match: I hope to watch it tonight. :)
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:21 am

Teknon wrote:
the_skald wrote:Thank you very much for the link, Tek: it will be my first step into a wider world... I've never watched a college football game and I still do not know its rules and tournament structure.

I'll give you a shout as soon as I'm able to watch it. :)


As far as rules go, they are fairly close. The main differences are laid out here. I think the only thing that they miss are the overtime rules, and those are laid out in this graphic




the_skald wrote:It was such a great experience! My wife and I went to the stadium hours before the kick off on purpose to mix with the crowd and taste the flavour of the event: families having a barbecue, kids playing touch-football, adults watching other nfl games on huuuuge TVs hanging from a van's side... It was pure joy, a party... An experience So damned different to the european approach to our football (which you call soccer).

Soccer fans here give vent to their wrath - a way to take some sort of revenge against the society and personal frustrations - usually producing vandalisms and antisportmanlike conducts; moreover soccer means money and europeans, I think, are not as good as americans at business. Match results can be rigged and some teams are more equal than others, using a popular line from Orwell's Animal Farm novel.


I do enjoy tailgating, though some go a lot bigger that I ever did. It's very interesting to get an outside perspective on it though.



That's the craziest game I've ever watched!!! Attendants must have witnessed many faintings and/or heart attacks! LOL! What a courage to try the final 2-point comversion!!!!!
I was amused to see a young Adrian Peterson, almost annihilated by the defense to tell the truth: he had just three awesome big plays and TDs. What an historical run for Boise State! Last undefeated standing, (unpredicted and underdog) Bowl Winner.

Thanks for sharing. I'm open for more. :) :) :)

P.S.
I hope you won't mind, Tek, but in order to enjoy the match I had to sacrifice my daily spare time: it's all your fault, you know. Eheheeheheh
I hope BF30 and Protheuz will forgive me. :)
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby Teknon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:19 am

I'm glad you enjoyed it (though I'm sorry that it ate up all of your free time)!

That craziness is one of the things that I love about the college game. There was one weekend in 2010 when the top three quarterbacks at the time (Cam Newton (Auburn), Kellen Moore (Boise State), and I think Andrew Luck (Stanford)) all caught touchdown passes. And a close second to the craziness of the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is the ending of the 2013 Iron Bowl where Alabama (2x defending national champions) tried kicking a 57 yard field goal with 0:01 on the clock rather than going into overtime. Auburn put a punt returner in the end-zone, betting on a missed field goal. The kick did come up short, and Auburn ran it out of the end-zone, 109yds to win the game.

Professional football has better talent and usually more evenly matched teams, but definitely less craziness. :)
User avatar
Teknon
Jedi Master
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Pierce County, Washington

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:40 am

Teknon wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed it (though I'm sorry that it ate up all of your free time)!

That craziness is one of the things that I love about the college game. There was one weekend in 2010 when the top three quarterbacks at the time (Cam Newton (Auburn), Kellen Moore (Boise State), and I think Andrew Luck (Stanford)) all caught touchdown passes. And a close second to the craziness of the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is the ending of the 2013 Iron Bowl where Alabama (2x defending national champions) tried kicking a 57 yard field goal with 0:01 on the clock rather than going into overtime. Auburn put a punt returner in the end-zone, betting on a missed field goal. The kick did come up short, and Auburn ran it out of the end-zone, 109yds to win the game.

Professional football has better talent and usually more evenly matched teams, but definitely less craziness. :)



Definetly agree. :)

So... You are a beginning to root for the Seahawks, aren't you? :)
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:37 am

After three games Bills' offense doesn't seem to have taken off: Manuel looks immature and unnatural at the helm. The season is long and this is just preseason but...

It would be good to watch a rematch in Superbow XLIX: it would be definetly more balanced than the previous one.
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby Teknon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 am

I've not followed the Bills too much. Looking at the box scores, they don't look the best. However, most of their preseason games have been really close,

Don't feel too bad about loosing to the Bucs though - they've got Doug Martin (former BSU player, also known as the "Muscle Hamster" :))

It would be great to see the Seahawks back in the Superbowl again, but it's still a little early for that discussion. However, they've looked good in their preseason games. They did loose to Denver in the opener, but they weren't doing any special game planning since they get Denver again at the end of September. If you give Manning that vanilla of a defense, he's going to be able to move the ball. Even then, though, we still made him work for that first touchdown.

We'll see what happens when the real season begins in a few weeks. :)
User avatar
Teknon
Jedi Master
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Pierce County, Washington

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:23 am

[quote="Teknon"]Don't feel too bad about loosing to the Bucs though - they've got Doug Martin (former BSU player, also known as the "Muscle Hamster" :))


Nice story. :D

I think that the Bucs will improve sensibly this year: they've changed much, mostly on the D side of the ball. Talking about my Bills, well, the Orton signing is a good thing and I guess they made a good choice cutting the other backup QBs: the position needs desperate and competent help... the one E.J. Manuel is not capable to provide.

Meanwhile the season opener is nigh: the Packers look improved and have earned interest and respect ny the media but they've lost ***.Raji for the season. NFC North division looks more competitive than ever and so the Packers with an healthy Rodgers but I see the Seahawks win easily next thursday night. :)
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:30 pm

Image

What a joy after watching the whole match live! :lol:
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby Teknon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:50 am

The Bills are looking pretty good right now. Best record in the AFC East, and favored against the Chargers on Sunday. Let's see if they can keep this up.

I was a little disappointed in the Seahawks on Sunday, but the loss was excusable considering the heat, and the Charger's aren't a bad team.

I'm looking forward to the Broncos coming to Seattle on Sunday though. :-)
User avatar
Teknon
Jedi Master
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Pierce County, Washington

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:42 am

Teknon wrote:The Bills are looking pretty good right now. Best record in the AFC East, and favored against the Chargers on Sunday. Let's see if they can keep this up.

I was a little disappointed in the Seahawks on Sunday, but the loss was excusable considering the heat, and the Charger's aren't a bad team.

I'm looking forward to the Broncos coming to Seattle on Sunday though. :-)


Eheheheh I can imagine you are: it will be a great game, I am sure! Big pressure on both teams for different reasons. Budding rivalry? Will see. :)

Talking about the Bills, I've watched the game live again and was thrilled by the outcome. It's been a great and emotional week for the Bills but it's early to discern if they are real contenders. The Patriots are the natural leaders of the division, but these young Bills look promising.

I'm following the AFC NORTH division as well: the Browns look really a different team and I think that each of the four teams has enough talent and depth to win the division, maybe the most balanced of all!

Anyway, "for good luck" I'll keep up the lucky habit. The Chargers are a tough and quality team: Bills are favored? I do not know if they really are but that game will give additional clues about the team's development and maturity. Again, will see. :)

Image
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont

Re: American Football

Postby the_skald » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:58 pm

The Bills are 2-2 but I'm happy for the decision of charging Orton of the responsability of leading the offense. I mean, things could not get worse on that side of the ball. :)
User avatar
the_skald
Level 9
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Stresa, Piedmont


Return to IRL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

suspicion-preferred