Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Operation Source

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Re: Operation Source

Postby swrider » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Feel free to adjust, but I'd prefer you leave the team leader as is. It would be nice to get the IC going next week but don't feel hurried.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 2 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 2 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 6
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 19

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:41 pm

I've no problem leaving Rico as the team leader. I've finished and posted his rebuild (crunch only), BTW, as well as posting the updated crunch for Rath. Rico's gear will change a bit more, as there are some tech tools and droid-related items that I need to add to him. Rico would normally have several droids (at least 1-2 of his own custom construction), but I'm not adding such to his sheet keeping in mind that none of the characters own anything that they can't carry in their hands and on their backs. I am however, going under the assumption (with your permission) that he did have such droids at some point in the past so that the benefits that droids can provide when crafting gear and attachments can apply to the gear that he does still have. A priority for him, once gameplay begins, will be of course to construct replacements for the droids that he's lost.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:03 pm

No problem.
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:00 am

I've updated the gear on Rico, after making a buttload of crafting and mod-installing rolls on Orokos yesterday (none of which failed).

Most of the crafting rolls are "practice runs", either creating a (reusable) template schematic or stacking up boost dice for subsequent tries (getting a couple of advantages/blues, so that the next roll you get even more blues, and so on) until a result pops that has 2 Triumphs (which is when I end the sequence and move on to the next item to be crafted). The crafting order was the tool (which is used in all later craft/mod checks), then the armor, then the rifle.

On the modding rolls I traded 1 Triumph for 1 dice upgrade on the next skill check, which is how a couple of those checks ended up with 6 abil/prof dice.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 am

Oh, and I've not applied mods to any of the attachments for the PCs other than Rico, using the assumption that Rico has not known the others long enough (and/or had access to a 'proper' workshop) since meeting any of them. If Rico met the rest of the team shortly before their last mission, it sort of explains away the other three not having modded items (yet). An alternative would be for me to assume an NPC technician, but YYGB is iffy on Hard checks (for a first mod), let alone Daunting ones (for a second mod). The difficulty can get downgraded one die by using a zero-G workshop, but you'd have to make that call. I can wait on the mods for the other 3 PCs, if you'd rather not roll for an NPC tech (and/or not have me roll for such an NPC).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:05 am

Up until now they would not have had as great of access to alliance personnel outside their cell. There will be a chance for some upgrades while the team leader is at his meeting. Which may take a day or two in game time.
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:12 am

Yeah, that's what I assumed would be the case, both the history and what's in their immediate future. I'm planning to make Rico significantly older than the others, so he's had considerably more time to tinker.

The reason for the unused HPs in Rico's stuff is because they're intended for rarity 6+ attachments. Since none of the PCs have the Know Somebody talent I can't reduce the rarity and thus get such stuff during creation. Also gives me more stuff to do once play commences, and goals to shoot for.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm going to have to sit down at oggdudes generator and review your custom equipment... The armor and weapons seem out of balance for the system... It appears they each have a large amount of HP. I won't be able to do this until Tuesday at the earliest. That is unless you want to explain the builds.
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:30 pm

I'd be happy to, and FYI it's all in Special Modifications (page 79 for weapons) and Keeping the Peace (page 91 for Armor). The combat armor template has a base of 3 HPs. The 3-advantage option adds 1 HP, and may be selected twice. Thus the 5 HPs. For the weapon, the energy rifle has a base of 4 HPs (same as a blaster rifle). "Customizable", a 2-advantage option, adds 1 HP and may only be selected once. The other HP comes from the Tinkerer talent. Thus 6 HPs total for that item.

Oh, and looking at those tables again I remember that I didn't keep rolling until I got 2 Triumphs (except for making the tool), because neither the armor nor the weapon got the benefit of the 2-Triumph result, which is a free 1 HP attachment at no HP cost. And each time I rolled again I was using advantages obtained in the prior roll traded for more boost dice using the "Practice Makes Perfect" option, which has no limits on how many times it can be selected. That's how you can stack up 8-11 blue dice (or more).

For the sake of clarity, this result was the one that created the tool. This result created the armor, and this result created the weapon. All rolls after that one were for mods. Rolls before those three creation rolls either led up to schematics or piled up advantages to be used to boost the checks for the creation rolls (after first reducing the check difficulty to "simple").

The mechanics/process used to generate the armor/weapon dice pools are a repair droid (Mechanics skill 3) providing skilled assistance (yields YYYGG instead of his innate YYGGG) combined with the Special Tool he first crafted (+1 success, +1 advantage, +1 upgrade yielding YYYYG), a zero-G workshop with emergency containment (1 difficulty downgrade, +1 advantage), and Booster Blue (providing the final +1 upgrade to YYYYY). So those Orokos crafting results all have +1 success and +2 advantages (which converts to +3 advantages after applying the Eye for Detail talent) not shown by the dice images. I limited assistance to just the droid and an unskilled minion-grade go-fer, so as to not abuse the system.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:14 pm

I just edited the armor entry on Rico's sheet so that the built-in (crafted) traits of the armor aren't listed as if they used HPs (which they don't), which may have been confusing. Now that entry matches the style for the weapons.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:37 am

Thank you everything looks a lot clear now.
How are the last two backgrounds coming along?
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 am

You may not have noticed, but I added Rath's backstory up to reaching adulthood on Sunday or yesterday (I forget when). What is left for me to invent is what he's done since the destruction of the Death Star, and his joining the Rebellion, and picking what his Motivation is (I have to be careful, as he's a Force user). And I have to go through the process of doing appearance and personality, again keeping in mind that a Jedi healer (his predominant FU aspect) is going to have different motives than most of the other characters. He's the most difficult for me to work on, because he is a Force user. While his base build is as a sniper, his role as a Rebel is more medic than sniper, and I have to write that up. His preference is to use weapons set on stun, for example. But stun doesn't operate beyond short range (unless using a special weapon), so his morals/ethics take stress whenever he's forced to engage Imps beyond short range, which means using weapons set to kill.

That reminds me, will you be using the FaD Morality mechanics (IMO, you should for him), and if so, does he start with a neutral 50?

Regarding Rico, once I'm done with Rath then Rico should be fairly quick as I don't need to make as many judgment calls (such as ignoring so many random results) as I have had to do with Rath.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 am

I'm not really familiar with the morality rules but we can use them
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 am

I'm almost done with Rath (his sheet has been updated). I still need to write up his history post-Yavin, essentially explaining why he joined the Rebellion.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:35 pm

I kept looking at Rath and having him as a sniper specialization in combo with being a healer just bugs me too much. I'm going to do a quick rebuild swapping sharpshooter for medic. Stay tuned.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Okay, rebuild done. Much better as a medic, and no longer a sniper. Works better overall, and will be much easier for me to write up his post-Yavin joining the Rebels. Not only was I having a hard time reconciling sniper with healer, especially as how he'd be getting sniper training only from being a Rebel. Removing that means that he joins as a medic instead, and what combat skills he has is just part of 'basic' training. So much simpler to understand. Having a sniper in the party would have been nice, but it just doesn't work for this character (or any of the others).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Sounds good. I will take a look at the rebuild tonight after I put up a list of weapons the new ship in far orbit.
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

Postby swrider » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Looks good,
I do want to give fair warning that I believe any report of a light-saber being used would be taken notice off by imperial authorities.
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Oh, I expect that. He keeps it concealed (exactly where, I'm still thinking about). His Rebel associates have never seen him even pull it out. He's not Luke with the silly thing dangling from his utility belt in plain sight. Last thing I need is another Mando, or an Inquisitor, or Vader, chasing his ***. He's already seen how the Empire chases Jedi. Relentlessly.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:08 pm

I'm well over halfway done with Rico's childhood. He has a fascinating family and personal history before and during the Clone Wars. More details to come.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 am

Since you are incontol of all of the PCs please roll the destiny pool at your convience
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:25 am

Destiny Pool: 4eF 2 Light Side, 2 Dark Side
ImageImageImageImage
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:26 am

Lol, We are balanced with the force >:)
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Still working on Rico. Besides the recent heavy activity in your other game, part of Rico's background is tedious to develop. His father, a local magistrate, has a buttload of rivals (10 different NPCs, some of which are serious enemies and 2 of which extend their animus to Rico as well so they need to be fully created by you at some point). I've rolled 5 of them, and am still working on the other 5. I still have to do some more development work on his mother (a field tech for some merc unit that you and I will have to pick or invent). Rico's father is even more complicated than his mother. Not only is he a local official with the aforementioned plethora of rivals, but he has a major criminal patron (Hutt or Black Sun or something) that will need to be picked and given some flesh by you. Rico himself acquires a retired Republic senior officer as a patron at age 13, a year before the Clone Wars erupts. That NPC will need to be at least somewhat fleshed out, especially if he will ever play a role in his later life (beyond when Rico reaches age 16). Rico is age 36 in 0 BBY.

Rico also hopped around to several different planets during his childhood and I've yet to pick exactly which ones. I just know what their climate/geography is (and what galactic region they're in in the case of his birth world). So I've got to take a bunch of bullet point notes and rewrite it as descriptive historical fluff.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:16 am

I would not worry about fleshing them out to far. Since this is going to be an AoR campaign they are not as likely to come into play as with an edge game. The basics should be fine; name, position, reason for the hatred, some idea to their level of resources.
Orokos

swrider
Level 19

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context