Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Tycho Manin (Far Orbit Project)

Initial Character concepts can be posted here prior to a new game's sub-forum being created.

Moderator: GameMasters

Tycho Manin (Far Orbit Project)

Postby aclarkbr90 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Tycho Manin, Freighter Pilot

Race: Sullustan
Career: Ace
Specialization: Pilot
Motivation: Thrill (and Justice)
Obligation (20): Responsibility (to the pilots of the Mid-Rim Shippers Union)
Earned XP: 20, Unused XP: 0

Attributes
Brawn 2, Agility 4, Intellect 3, Cunning 2, Willpower 2, Presence 2

Derived Attributes
WT: 12, ST: 12, Soak: 3, Defense: 0/0, Encumbrance: 4/8

Skills
Astrogation 2, Gunnery 2, Mechanics 1, Ranged (LIght) 1, Piloting (Planetary) 1, Piloting (Space) 3

Talents
Pilot
Skilled Jockey 1 (Remove one setback from piloting checks due to handling)
Full Throttle (Action for hard piloting check to increase top speed by 1 for rounds equal to cunning).

Personal Gear
Armor:
Cargo Flight Suit (Heavy Clothes) (+1 Soak)
Weapons:
  • Slugthrower Pistol: Ranged (Light), Damage 4, Range [Short], Crit 5
  • Stun Grenade (2): Ranged (Light), Damage 8, Range [Short], Crit 5, Blast 8, Disorient 3, Stun Damage, Limited Ammo 1
  • Blaster Pistol: Ranged (Light), Damage 6, Range [Medium], Crit 3, Stun setting
Two Stimpacks, ship's manual, comlink, datapad, utility belt, tool kit, comm jammer, crash survival kit, 57 credits

Background
Tycho is well-used to piloting freighters in the mid-rim. Being a contracted pilot by a major shipping corporation means that you don't get to own" your own ship. You have to take whatever the higher-ups authorize. Usually cheap junk. Most recently it was a special line of Spacemasters that had no shields, weak armor, and a single ion cannon - everything was committed to maximizing cargo capacity. But they still expect you to make deadlines, avoid pirates, and deliver the goods intact. That means you are gonna have to maintain your ship at a pretty high level. Tycho is versed in the hyperlanes of the mid-rim and expansion region, but is a little out of his element in the Outer Rim. He's not much of a charmer, but he knows that you have to grease the right palms to get where you need to go sometimes.

Recently, Tycho ran into trouble when his shipping union was dealing with an Imperial embargo. The Corporate leadership learned a little too late that Imperial authorities had just imposed a 50% tariff on all deliveries to the Gran on Kinyen. Short on cash and not wanting to miss out on a dearly needed payoff , Tycho convinced many of the pilots to slip through the blockade and deliver the supplies to the Kinyen black market anyways, where they would surely be disseminated to those who needed them. His act of defiance lost him his ship and his job, and has left him searching for a new line of work that will pay the bills.

Description
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 128 lbs.
Build: Tall, thin (for a Sullustan)
Attire: Officially licensed cargo flight suit with a "Mid-Rim Shippers Union" insignia on the left breast and the right shoulder.
Description: Tycho's uniform is typically covered in engine grease, and he usually would have one or two wrenches in his tool kit. He keeps his ship's manual up to date, because the right schematics are way more important than the right tools.

Tycho is something of a thrill-seeker. He likes to push his ship to the limits, and he loves fixing it up to ensure peak performance. However, when it gets down to it he knows right from wrong and will be a force for justice, if he has to.
Last edited by aclarkbr90 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
aclarkbr90
Level 1

Re: Tycho Manin (Far Orbit Project)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:18 am

He wouldn't be hired to be a fighter pilot with zilch Gunnery skill. He'd fail even the most basic fighter pilot sim. He'd be hired as a shuttle pilot, which is not what you want as a player. Even his backstory (and clothing) confirms that he's a cargo hauler with zero combat experience.

Also, the "caught the attention of a rebel recruiter" at the end of his backstory is wrong. He's not being recruited by the Rebel Alliance or any Rebel agent. He's being recruited by an independent privateer that is affiliated with the Rebels. Key difference. He won't be working for the Rebels, won't be wearing a Rebel uniform, and won't be earning Rebel-aligned Duty.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby aclarkbr90 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Far. I was really thinking he would go shuttle pilot route, rather than snubfighter. Presumably there are shuttles and freighters docked on the Far Orbit that require a fair bit of fancy flying, yes?

Presumably there are also plenty of two-man snubs that he would pilot along with a decent gunner. His agility will get him by, and he can be trained in gunnery if necessary.
aclarkbr90
Level 1

Postby swrider » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:06 pm

He would be a good pilot for the ship that Benko wants to purchase. He would have control over a small crew and act as a support for the Far Orbit.

Though Shado may want to keep that ship entirely NPC.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: TBD
Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:12 pm

We did hire two 'new' shuttle pilots on this current visit to StarForge station, so Tycho could certainly be one of them. I had, apparently, been under the mistaken impression that when you said "pilot" you meant snubfighters. My bad. There are two shuttles presently aboard, and one (PC-owned) freighter. We don't have any two-seater snubs. Not even the recently-acquired Y-wing is the two-seater variant. There is also talk about acquiring another freighter (the one that swrider is alluding to), so we'll still have a need for additional shuttle pilots. I don't have any preference as to whether that ship has PCs on it or not. In fact, since Clark is creating a shuttle pilot, and hasn't expressed an interest in any other (additional) characters, I'd have a very hard time coming up with something useful for him to do unless he's in a separate ship.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Several things that are missing. First is an Obligation, which type you have not selected for him. The magnitude of the Obligation will be 20, of which he has 10 that he can spend on XP and/or cash (I'd advise you use it on XP). Next is the 1d100 post-creation roll (it's in the official FFG rules) for pocket change. Last, but not least, is the 20 earned XP that he will have before he joins the crew, plus an additional 1500 credits of cash.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby aclarkbr90 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Ok, I'll switch out a rank of cool for a rank of gunnery. His background is freighters, but he is a skilled enough pilot to merit a job on the Far Orbit.

I also thought this was more of a rebel-oriented campaign. I'll edit his backstory to be more hard luck. He avoided a tariff to deliver medical supplies, which was both to claim a profit and because he realized it was the right thing. But he also did his best to cover it up from the corporate leadership. He was surprised when they figured out what had happened and fired him and the other pilots on the spot. Now, Tycho is broke, without a ship, and looking for someone to pay the bills. He's caught up with the Far Orbit to pilot snubs, which he isn't particularly experienced in but has passed the trials without too much of a hitch.
aclarkbr90
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Heh, my Rebel-specific campaign is Strike Force Isk (which I mentioned to you, but you declined because its current posting rate is lousy — since it doesn't have enough players participating to drive the story forward).

The Far Orbit is doing Rebel-type stuff, but is not an actual Rebel ship. The game is a hybrid EotE/AoR game. There is precisely one actual Rebel aboard, Major Cet Willak (an NPC), the Alliance Observer. His job is to keep on eye on the ship's activities, making sure that we abide by our Letter of Marque, and report what we do to Alliance High Command. Even if Captain Vedij had wanted to take the vessel and place it under Rebel command authority (which he didn't), it's doubtful that he would have been able to retain enough of the crew to operate the vessel. When the crew mutinied, they did so for a variety of reasons, mostly that they couldn't tolerate the previous Captain. But less than half of the crew was willing to abandon the Empire and turn "pirate". Of the roughly 40% that were, probably only half of that would be willing to outright join the Rebels if given that option.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby aclarkbr90 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Ok, that sounds good. I think I finished up everything. Increased gunnery substantially in place of cool and with the bonus XP. Also increase cunning using my extra starting XP (will help with full throttle).

I added in the obligation. I wasn't sure where to put that in the template. And I added in all of the extra credits, mostly with extra gear. Do I need to make a streetwise check to find gear on the ship or planetside, or can I spend it right now without trouble? I'm not particularly committed to the gear as I think he would mostly be focused on buying ship attachments once he is assigned a snub.
aclarkbr90
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:51 pm

Your build is illegal. You cannot apply earned XP to characteristics (such as Cunning). You only got 10 XP from Obligation. That's a total of 110 starting XP. Agility 4 is 40xp. Intellect 3 costs another 30xp. That's 70 total used so far. Sullustans have a 1 in Cunning. Raising it to 2 costs 20xp. You're now at 90 spent out of 110, leaving 20xp and it costs 30xp to raise Cunning to 3. You simply cannot do this. Period.

This is why I recommend that players new to the game system use Oggdude's character generator. It keeps you from making "math" mistakes (breaking the rules when building).

You might also consider the Hotshot specialization instead of Pilot. The talent tree has better talents on it for a fighter pilot. Pilot duplicates the career skills in the specialization, which allows you to double up on gunnery and space piloting ranks for free. But then you are stuck with a talent tree that's not as good as others you could take. Hotshot still allows you to double up on space piloting for free. The Gunner specialization is also excellent. Overwhelm defenses is a great talent, as is True Aim. Gunner allows you to double up on gunnery for free, but not space piloting.

Most players I've seen go for Hotshot as their first spec, and then pick up Gunner as their second spec.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby aclarkbr90 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:12 am

Ok. I think I have it re-configured correctly.

Free ranks
Sullustan: Astrogation
Ace: Astrogation, Gunnery, Mechanics, Space Piloting
Pilot: Gunnery, Space Piloting

110 character creation XP spent on:

Agility 4 (40)
Int 3 (30)
Cunning 2 (20)
Planetary Piloting 1 (5)
Full Throttle (5)
Skilled Jockey (10)

Post creation XP (20):
Space Piloting 3 (15)
Ranged (Light) 1 (5)
aclarkbr90
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:55 pm

Approved. You may copy post #1 over to the game's Character Database subforum. Congrats on your first character.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Return to Character Review