Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Hello

Discuss community business and make suggestions on the future of this forum

Hello

Postby aclarkbr90 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Hello,

I'm a new player who loves Star Wars RPG. I have plenty of in-person GMing experience, but have never had the chance to play as a player. I'm also new to the PBP format, but I'm excited to learn.

I was introduced to the forum by ShadoWarrior in the FFG community forums.

Looking forward to it!
aclarkbr90
Level 1

Re: Hello

Postby swrider » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Welcome. I think you will find that many of us are GM for our real life games who rarely get to play. PbP has a lot of advantages to it, but also a few fall backs. I hope you learn to love it. Welcome to the board and which ever game(s) you are joining.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light,
Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 2 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 0
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:22 pm

Indeed, welcome.

I haven't played a RPG in-person since d20 SWRPG (pre-Saga) in the early 2000s (and back when I lived in Houston, where it's one hell of a lot easier to find players than where I live now).

The thing to keep in mind about PbPs is that the pacing is much, much slower than non-PbP players are accustomed to. But one of those advantages that swrider alludes to is that you can (and should) take your time in composing replies. You can be very detailed and wordy if you wish (both in "spoken text, that which your character says within quotation marks, and that which you as your character's narrator write as expressing his thoughts and feelings), since you're not under time pressure. Just imagine that you're writing excerpts for a novel (which, in effect, you are). And, to please quasi-OCD grammar-nazis like me, check your spelling and other such writing details.

Another thing that's important in a PbP, even more so than for an in-person game, is for players to take copious notes about their own character, other characters (beyond what's available for online viewing), what info the GM provides both in the IC thread and when answering questions, and anything else you may need to remember. When threads get to be dozens and hundreds of pages long, it's not really practical to wade through them to find something that you forgot. This board does not have a search function for text, like the FFG board does (and Google is unlikely to be helpful, even though it indexes the site at least once a day). So if you neglect to take notes, best case is that you'll have to wait and bother someone else (like me as GM) to remind you of what you should have written down.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:33 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote: This board does not have a search function for text...

Actually it does. Top right corner of the screen in white text under the search bar. It is labeled "advanced search" and does allow you to search the text of messages within individual forums.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Oh, right. It's "hidden" in the board's banner graphic. Haven't used it in years. I wonder how well it works, especially after all those board maintenance "upgrades" that we've had over the past couple of years. (The last damn maintenance clobbered the topic icons for two of the games, and I only have the images saved on my now-inaccessible desktop PC.)

Thanks for pointing out my goof. It's bad when the board admin can't even remember the features of his own site. :oops:
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:31 pm

I'll one up you on that. I am building my own website for D&D 5 which will not be uploaded online, just run locally. It includes all of the copyrighted material for monsters, spells, equipment feats, classes etc. Anyways I have on a few occasions found features I had built in and forgotten about because I decided not to use them at that point in time. The funniest time was when I was using the combat tracker to keep track of the players and NPC hit-points and an alert popped up telling me one of the players needed to make a concentration check. I got seriously annoyed that I was getting popups until I realized it was one I programmed.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:44 pm

Having been coding applications since 1975 (yes, I know I'm old, I started with Fortran IV on mainframes), I'm painfully aware of the phenomenon of forgetting features one has coded oneself and then later wonders "Why the heck did I do that? Boy was that dumb! Glad no one else noticed it."
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby aclarkbr90 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Cool. Thanks guys. I definitely take notes and try to weave things together well when I play in person, so that shouldn't be much of a change. I am excited about that aspect of PBP.
aclarkbr90
Level 1

Return to Boards Business