Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Comander Jan Brenko -swrider

Initial Character concepts can be posted here prior to a new game's sub-forum being created.

Moderator: GameMasters

Comander Jan Brenko -swrider

Postby swrider » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Career: Commander
Specialization: Strategist
Species: Human male
Experience: Unused/Earned: 0/50
Characteristics: Brawn 2, Agility 4, Intelligence 2, Cunning 2, Willpower 2, Presence 3
Wound Threshold: 0/12, Strain Threshold: 0/12, Soak: 3 (2 + 1 for armor), Defense: 1/1
General Skills: Coercion 0, Computers 0, Cool 2, Discipline 0, Leadership 2, Perception 2, Vigilance 2
Combat Skills: Brawl 1, Gunnery 2, Ranged (Light) 0
Knowledge Skills: Warfare 2
Talents: Ready For Anything 1
— Remove ⬛ per rank of Ready for Anything on Mass Combat checks and Cool or Vigilance checks to determine initiative order
Command 1
— The character gains per rank of Command when making Leadership checks (or other checks to inspire, lead, or rally an audience). Inspired targets also add per rank to any subsequent Discipline checks they make over the next twenty-four hours (this does not increase with additional ranks of Command).

Equipment
Gear: Utility Belt, Backpack, Datapad, Comlink (handheld), 1 Stimpack, 6 Ration Packs, workshop manuals for CR90 and EF76
Armor: Armored Clothing
Weapons: Blaster Pistol
Money: 14,646 credits + 300,000 credits in accounts + 300,000 loaned to the Far Orbit
Encumbrance: 3/12

Appearance

Height:
Build:
Hair colour:
Eyes:
Jan is a typical human, of medium height and build. His greying-brown hair is kept close-cropped, and he has an Imperial regulation mustache which has gone grey. His uniform is always immaculate, though there is a spot where the since-removed Imperial insignia is less faded than the rest of the outfit.

Personality

Jan likes to lead by example, having found that his men were more likely to follow him when they knew he was in the thick of things with them. He makes a point of knowing each of his subordinates, and does his best to apply everything he learned in the Academy towards being the best leader he can. Taking care of the men he leads is as important to him as being in a position of leadership.

Story

Jan Brenko was only a teenager when the Empire came to Ukio, but the sudden appearance of a squadron of Star Destroyers changed his life forever. Jan was a farmer's son, destined to be a farmer himself. The prospect help no appeal for Jan, who had always dreamed of bigger and better things. To Jan those Star Destroyers were the very incarnation of bigger and better things.

Jan joined the Imperial Navy, and worked his way up through the ranks to command the gun batteries aboard the Lancer-class frigate Cascade, but there his advancement stopped. Jan had earned the enmity of the admiral in charge of his sector by challenging conventional wisdom on the best use of anti-starfighter starships, and the breach of etiquette cost him dearly. Jan was left to stagnate as the weapons officer on the Cascade, while colleague after colleague went on to receive commands of their own.

In desperation, Jan requested a transfer to the Far Orbit in the hopes of escaping the admiral's ire. His request was granted, but the admiral's petty revenge followed him to his new post. Captain Kenit, a close friend of the admiral, made sure that Jan's life was a difficult one. Jan did his best to bear it, but when Commander Vedij approached him to test the waters of mutiny, Jan didn't need to think twice.

Duty

Space Superiority - 10

Motivations

Ambition: Having Own Command.

XML file
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: TBD
Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Re: Comander Jan Brenko -swrider

Postby swrider » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:47 pm

this is not yet ready for review as it is currently being re-built.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Ready for Review.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm pretty sure that his current funds number is wrong. Why? Because I think that you just used the funds from the recent loot, and didn't include anything left over from character creation. On page #3 of this forum, check out the 3rd post in the original character's creation thread.

You have his armor listed as padded. Bear in mind that he doesn't wear such armor while on watch duty, he wears his uniform. You can have an armored uniform made and wear that. You can take the cost (1000cr) of such custom armor out of the money (2,000 credits) mentioned in the paragraph above, as well as the 200 credits for the manuals. That leaves (at least) 800 credits to add to your total.

Changing armor type also changes soak and defense.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:56 pm

The updates have been made.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Defense is wrong, and so is armor entry.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Thank you, I must have gotten tunnel vision.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:22 pm

I'll approve the character after I make a tidying-it-up pass on it tomorrow. It also gives you more time to think and make any last-minute changes if something pops up between now and whenever I get to it tomorrow.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Going through your character I almost overlooked the fact that he has zero Gunnery skill. This both does not match his backstory of having risen through the junior officer ranks in gunnery, and it makes him next to useless in the role he'll have aboard the ship (which is making the gunnery skill checks). Noticing the lack of Gunnery then led me to look closely at the talents. His talents only affect Leadership checks, which only affect the NPC crew if they are suffering from fear. Both Leadership and his talents do nothing to improve an NPC's ability to use their own Gunnery skills.

I hate to say it, but you need to rebuild the character, picking a different specialization (and if necessary, career).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:11 am

LOL, I rebuilt this character as close to the original as possible because I wasn't sure what talents had been used and which had not.

I see two options for new specs.
1) Ace: Gunner most of these talents affect shots that I make. Will they work on shots I order to be made? As weapons officer I doubt I will be actually firing the weapons much.

2) Commander Squadron Leader. A lot of these talents make sense for helping the fighters in the area, but it is not quite my role on the ship. Also they are meant to be used when you are piloting the craft not just on the craft.

If you would please clarify the question above and your thoughts on the two trees, I would appreciate it. I'm heading out to church now so will not be able to make the updates for several hours at least.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:07 am

Unless explicitly stated to apply to someone else's action (like an NPC's), talents only affect the player. The game designers do not appear to have given much, if any, consideration to talents for officers aboard capital ships that are commanding NPC crews. The entire AoR Stay On Target book is written with fighters in mind, not capital warships.

Basically, I'm pretty sure that the devs intend that actions involving capital ships be resolved almost exclusively using the rules for Mass Combat. In which case it would be Vedij's (or Killiri's) skills and talents that would apply, since only one roll is made for the entire battle (not even one roll per turn). In Onslaught at Arda I, during the Imperial invasion of the base, there are multiple Mass Combat checks made but each one is a separate small battle whose results affect the overall invasion and culminate in determining how many Imperial troopers make it into the base (in a first wave) and how many Rebel starfighters survive that can be used by the players.

All the talents that affect Leadership, like your existing build, do benefit Mass Combat, since Leadership is the skill used for Mass Combat. However, using the FFG Mass Combat system (as written) to resolve most of the engagements that the Far Orbit will be involved in isn't my intention as GM. Using those rules wouldn;'t be much fun for the players (or me) and lacks cinematic feel. One check and bam, the battle is resolved. The entire thing then needing to be narrated out of (almost) thin air to provide any sort of cinematic feel.

Going through the list of available talents:

• Barrage (Soldier:Bodyguard/Heavy) - Add one damage per rank of Barrage to Ranged (Heavy) or Gunnery checks at medium or long range.
  • Calm Commander (Commander:Figurehead) - When upgrading the ability of a Mass Combat check in a mass combat in which the character is the commander of the acting force (or when upgrading the difficulty pool, if the character is the commander of the enemy force), the character may use ranks in Cool instead of in Leadership.
  • Clever Commander (Commander:Strategist) - When upgrading the ability of a Mass Combat check in a mass combat in which the character is the commander of the acting force (or when upgrading the difficulty pool, if the character is the commander of the enemy force), the character may use ranks of Knowledge (Warfare) instead of ranks in the Leadership.
  • Dead to Rights (any pilot) - The character may spend a Destiny Point to add additional damage equal to half his Agility rating (rounded up) to a successful attack made by ship or vehicle-mounted weaponry. {I'd allow this to be used by any gunner, not just pilots}
  • Debilitating Shot (any gunner) - Upon making a successful attack with a starship or vehicle weapon, may spend aa to reduce the maximum speed of the target by 1 (to a minimum of 1) until the end of the next round. If the starship or vehicle was traveling its maximum speed, it has its current speed reduced to the new maximum.
  • Field Commander (Peacekeeper/Mercenary Soldier/Squadron Leader/Tactician) - The character may take a Field Commander action. By successfully passing an Average (dd) Leadership check, a number of allies equal to his Presence may immediately suffer one strain to perform one maneuver. This does not count against the number of maneuvers they may perform in their turn. If there are any questions as to the order in which allies act, the character using Field Commander is the final arbiter.
  • Fire Control (Commodore) - When in a starship or vehicle, the character can make a Fire Control maneuver. If he does so, all combat checks from the starship or vehicle count the silhouette of the target as one higher than normal until the beginning of the character's next turn. This effect does not stack with multiple uses of the Fire Control maneuver. {One of the very few talents that directly affects capital ship gunnery.}
  • Heavy Hitter (Hired Gun/Soldier:Heavy) - Once per session, the character may spend 1 Triumph on a successful Ranged (Heavy) or Gunnery check to add the Breach 1 quality to the attack, or increase an existing Breach rating by 1.
  • Master Strategist (Commander:Strategist) - Once per phase during a mass combat, the character may suffer 2 strain to decrease the difficulty of the next Mass Combat check once.
  • Precise Aim (Assassin/Executioner) - Once per round on the character's turn. the character may perform a Precise Aim maneuver before attempting a combat-related skill check to reduce a target's defense by one.

I'd keep Commander and then choose the specialization that has the tree that you like best. Looking over the various trees, Commodore (your current build) and Strategist (from Lead By Example) seem best suited. And use a species choice to make Gunnery a career skill. Even if you took Squadron Leader as your spec, that would only give you one free rank. Given that its spec tree sucks for you, I wouldn't pick that spec. You'll have to buy ranks in Gunnery, but at least as a career skill it won't cost as much.

On skills, besides getting Gunnery as a species skill, I'd swap skills to get Leadership, Perception. and Warfare, if you can manage it. Neither of your current two species skills are all that useful in your role. And you will probably need to reallocate attributes. Leadership requires Presence, but Gunnery requires Agility. Intellect is always nice to have, but doesn't factor into any useful skills except Warfare, so that 3 should be moved to Agility. Whether you swap Agility with Presence (which gets the 4 and which the 3) is up to you.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:19 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:And use a species choice to make Gunnery a career skill.

Human gives you one free rank in two non-career skills. Those skills no not become career skills. That is unless their is a house rule that I missed.

P.S. sorry for not getting back on like I promised yesterday. I suddenly got violently I'll.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:32 am

Oops, my bad. That's what happens when I post while still not fully awake (and hungry to boot). The Well Rounded talent grants two career skills. But you'd have to pick a specialization whose tree has it. And none of the specs that have it are for the Commander career. No matter what you do, either paying for ranks in non-career or picking up a non-career spec that has the skill on its list, it'd be expensive to get ranks. Unless you rebuild using a different base career. But that then forces you into a talent tree that's not as good, probably, as the trees for Commander. Tough choices. Sucks when the game doesn't have quite the combo you'd like to have. Had that problem, a lot, with d20 Saga (which is much more rigid system than FFG).

Hope you're feeling better today.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:42 am

I am thank you,

I am going to go the old fashioned route and ignore the talent trees all together. I had long held the belief that the talents were rarely as beneficial as simply purchasing ranks in skills. I'm editing the top post now.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:51 am

I don't want to over complicate the game but I've been thinking that commander Brenko would be looking to spend his wealth on a ship of his own which can support the Far Orbit. The 4R3 Light Assault Transport is used for raiding and boarding missions with the ability to cut through the enemies hull. One of these ships may not even be available for purchase but if they were would the addition of a new ship to the Far Orbits Convey disrupt the game you have laid out?

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 am

Skill ranks obviously have more immediate and frequent benefits. But talents can be immensely useful, under the right circumstances. Unfortunately, not all careers have equally useful talents. For example, if you have a mechanic that spends most of his time fixing stuff outside of combat, talents aren't nearly as useful to him as skill ranks, unless he spends a lot of time in combat repairing ships or spends most of his time modding things.

For a merchant, ranks in the skills is far more beneficial than talents, unless one gets Master Merchant or spends most of his time dealing with the black market. Mainly because most of the useful talents only affect one side of trade, such as buying but not when selling or vice versa. Know Somebody is great when trying to find something you wish to buy, but has no effect on sales and little-to-no effect on buy price. Wheel and Deal increases profits when selling, but there is no equivalent talent to lower buy cost (unless a GM house rules it or creates a new talent).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:05 am

Ive made the changes above and uploaded a new XML file.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:06 am

You paid for 2 ranks each in Leadership, Perception, and Warfare. I'd skip choosing Coercion and Discipline and use those slots on Leadership, Perception, or Warfare instead, saving 10 XP on the build, then use the 10 XP freed up to pick up Command 1.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:18 am

I made the changes you suggested and have edited both the XML and above post. I'm not sure i see the point in command 1 but then again I'm not familiar with how you will be using leadership checks in the campaign. Ill go with your advice on it.

Also did you see my question about a Brenko purchasing a ship to support the Far Orbit?

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:26 am

You had Command 1 in your prior concept. If you'd rather use those 10 XP on skills, or a different talents (like two Grits), go for it. I thought that you took Ready for Anything so that you'd be prepared to next get Command 1 and keep going down that branch.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 am

I was trying to match the prior build. I am happy with this so pending your approval I will simply move the character over.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:32 am

Approved.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Return to Character Review