Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Xenologist/Archeologist Guido Fictus (Fortune's Gate)

Initial Character concepts can be posted here prior to a new game's sub-forum being created.

Moderator: GameMasters

Xenologist/Archeologist Guido Fictus (Fortune's Gate)

Postby Grimgit » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Guido Fictus - Title unknown

Career: Explorer
Specialization: Tech?
Motivation: Enemy in Ascendance?
Post Creation Experience: 0/0

Attributes
Brawn: 0, Agility: 0, Willpower: 0
Intellect: 0, Cunning: 0, Presence: 0

Derived Attributes
Wound Thld: 0, Strain Thld: 0, Soak: 0
Defense: 0, Encumbrance: +/+

Skills
List of skills, like:
Athletics: 0

Talents
Name of Specialization Here
List of Talents here.

Personal Gear
Armor
:arrow: Stats
Weapon
:arrow: Stats

Equipment and other Items

Background
Guido's history is unknown, even to himself. As far as he is aware he is an information broker of sorts. He uses his in depth knowledge of xenos and their technology to recover information from sources inside and out of the Imperium. He also believes himself to be working for a covert (and radical) department within the Ordo Xenos and is simply making ends meet and passing the time until he contact is made. He is a recent acquisition for the [Dynasty]

True history
[Redacted] started off as a low level Heretek on [Redacted] where he as a youth he spent a lot of time exploring the ruins of a long dead xenos city on a nearby asteroid. He managed to learn enough about the culture and technology to pass as an expert. He leveraged this into getting an expedition funded and became a mildly successful Xeno arcanist.

One of his more successful expeditions to [Redacted] yielded plentiful discoveries that could lead to rich opportunities in cold trade for the local authorities. Unfortunately the return voyage was troubled and as the artifacts appeared to be more than what they seemed. With so many of the artifacts in close proximity there were unexpected events during the warp transit. The ship survived thanks to [Redacted]'s quick thinking, re-calibration of the warp drive and his use of the [Redacted] artifact. Many of the crew were [Redacted] and the ship had to be towed the rest of the way by a local Astartes vessel which of course meant uncomfortable questions for those in charge. Looking to protect their interests and downplay their involvement the local authorities accused [Redacted] of being dangerously heretical using the dark voyage as proof. Disavowing all knowledge of the recovered xenos technology they argued that [Redacted] should be punished as harshly as possible and reduced to a mono-task servator. [Redacted] was apprehended but used secretly implanted xenos technology to upload his own instructions to the cogitator that was to reduce him to a servator. Instead he was mind cleansed, assigned a new identity and his records were sealed as per a fake Ordo Xenos instruction. The implanted xenos artifact is programmed to restore his memory completely should anyone say his true name (in full) to him. He had planned to get reassigned to his home world where someone would recognize him and thus restore his memory but he had not counted on flaws in the Imperial bureaucracy.

Instead misfiled paperwork sent him to the Expanse, far far away from anyone who has ever heard of him before where he waits for instructions that will never come.

Personality
Guido is guarded and hesitant to trust people. He is fascinated by xenos technology and has a gift for understanding technology in general that he does not fully understand.

Description
Guido is fairly nondescript, his hair is brown and his eyes are a faded grey. His age is uncertain but he appears to be in his thirties. He frequently sports thee day old stubble but does not intend to grow facial hair. His clothing is utilitarian and he does not have any visible augmentations.
Grimgit
Level 1

Re: Xenologist/Archeologist Guido Fictus (Fortune's Gate)

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:37 pm

Home world: Reprogramed
Career: Engineer
Specialization: Scientist
Motivation: Here
Post Creation Experience: 0/0

Attributes
Brawn: 2, Agility: 2, Willpower: 2
Intellect: 3, Cunning: 3, Presence: 2

Derived Attributes
Wound Thld: 12, Strain Thld: 12, Soak: 2
Defense: 0, Encumbrance: +/+

Skills
Career Skills
Use Technology: 2
Knowledge (Education): 1
Knowledge (Imperium): 1
Mechanics: 1
Medicae: 1
Perception: 1
Vigilance: 2
Forbidden Knowledge (Xenology): 2
(Athletics, Pilot, Ranged (Personal))

Non-Career Skills

Talents
Civilized World
Skill Unlearned: Make one skill a career skill. (Xenology)
Scientist
None

Personal Gear
Xeno-Mesh (underarmor)
A set of shirt and pants that appear woven underclothing at distance, but when inspected up-close are revealed to consist of an uncountable number of rings constructed from an unknown substance that is remarkably resilient to fracture or burning for its size. Also quite comfortable, and fits remarkably well.
:arrow: Defense: 0, Soak: 1, HP: 0, Encumbrance: 1, Rarity: 5, Cost: 1
Laspistol
A basic and ubiquitous sidearm. The pattern is common enough that it provides little clue to its origin.
:arrow: Dam: 4, Crit: 5, Rg: Medium, HP: 1, Sp: (Reliable, Infinite), Enc: 1, Rare: 1, Cost: 0
Field Toolkit (Small Item)
A large array of tools used by a lot of lay mechanics and achotechnologists to maintain equipment or examine items found during their travels. This particular kit has smaller tools that are more useful for handheld items. Comes with its own custom backpack.
:arrow: Skill: Mechanics, Modifier: 0, Encumbrance: 5/0, Rarity: 3, Cost: 1
Xeno Implant
There was a reason behind this, if only he could remember.
:arrow: Skill: vs. Psy, Modifier: 1 Boost, Encumbrance: 0, Rarity: 7, Cost: 1 (Cybernetic)
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Grimgit » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Seems about right. How do languages work in this system? Does Forbidden Knowledge (Xenology) cover reading alien languages or is there a specific skill that covers that?

Does he have any ranks in whatever skill is used to lie? The Mind Cleansed, homeworld gives deceive as a skill and I imagined Guido being able to lie somewhat competently.
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:44 am

Lying is the Deception skill, based upon the Cunning attribute. If you have no ranks in a skill you still use the base dice from the controlling attribute, which in his case would be 3. He just gets no dice upgrades for ranks.

Alien languages is covered by Forbidden Knowledge (Xenology), or at least it is in Star Wars. Knowledge (Imperium), I expect, is the skill for human tongues.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:24 am

Yeah, languages are pretty hand-wavy in this system. Essentially you know the languages that make sense for your background and are convent for plot. Knowledge (Xeno) would be used to decipher some context for an alien language that you don't know. Likewise, Knowledge (Education) would be used to decipher a more obscure or thick human language or dialectical.

One thing for this system, compared to Rogue Trader, is that the base level competency is much higher. Statistically, an average person (2 Ability) will succeed an average task (2 difficulty) a bit over half the time. So, being 'unskilled' in this system is still competent – just not exceptional.

However, if you would like more sneaky-tech angle, I could build that way instead.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Grimgit » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Okay that makes sense. I had assumed that like the Rogue Trader system if you didn't have ranks in a skill then you had a penalty to using it (such as using only half the corresponding attribute). Perhaps I should find a copy of the rules as even though I don't have time to fully learn a new system familiarity would be helpful.

The build looks pretty good as is but perhaps instead of mind cleansed being a complete reskin of civilised world we swap out

Manifest Destiny: Remove 1 black from Fear checks. For something like this:
Unnatural Affinity: One skill that is not normally a career skill becomes a career skill.

That way Forbidden Knowledge (Xenology) can be a career skill and be a little cheaper to buy so the points saved can get him one rank in decieve.

It makes sense with the whole He is fascinated by xenos technology and has a gift for understanding technology in general that he does not fully understand. aspect of his background and mind cleansing procedure not erasing useful skills and all.
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm normally hesitant to build custom setups for characters, but that seems reasonable enough to work with. Other than picking up some starting equipment, I think your pretty much ready to go.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Grimgit » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Cool is there an equipment list out there? I have the Rogue Trader equipment list but I'm not sure how profit factor translates exactly.

Also as he isn't a classic Rogue Trader class I'm not sure what he'd start with.
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Check out the gear section in the House Rules in the forum section. It's mostly a request & receive system though. You can choose what you start with to an extent.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Grimgit » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:56 pm

With equipment I'm thinking something like a Laspistol/hellpistol for the reliability, xeno-mesh armour to fit the character background and then various exploration and tech use based tools. Omni-tool perhaps and something like an exploration mechandrite but not built in.

Also can you re-do the stats to account for Forbidden Knowledge (Xenology) being a career skill as discussed?
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:34 pm

Alright, I've updated the stats, your all clear to transfer both to the forum. (use the Quote button to get the sourcecode for my section)
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Grimgit » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Neat.

Xenology is still listed as non career is that intentional?

I like the xenos implant. That is cool. I have assumed it has a data port like an electoo is that correct or will I need to get that set up post character creation (either is fine with me).
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:55 am

Nope, that was an oversight, corrected now. Up to you if the Xeno implant has a dataport.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Return to Character Review