Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Seneschal Eustace Trevelyan (Fortune's Gate) [WIP]

Initial Character concepts can be posted here prior to a new game's sub-forum being created.

Moderator: GameMasters

Seneschal Eustace Trevelyan (Fortune's Gate) [WIP]

Postby Potato » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Seneschal Eustace Trevelyan

Homeworld: Hive World
Career: Explorer
Specialization: Trader
Motivation: Dynasty (Loyalty to the Rogue Trader Dynasty as a whole)
Post Creation Experience: 0/0

Attributes
Brawn: 1, Agility: 2, Willpower: 2
Intellect: 3, Cunning: 3, Presence: 2

Derived Attributes
Wound Thld: 9, Strain Thld: 14, Soak: 1(+1)
Defense: 0(+3), Encumbrance: +/+

Skills
Career Skills
Navigation 0
Cool 1
Knowledge (Imperium) 1
Knowledge (Astromancy) 1
Forbidden Knowledge (Xenology) 1
Perception 1
Piloting (Space) 1
Survival 0
Deception 1
Commerce 2 (Replaced one of the Knowledges with this, otherwise there'd be two Knowledge (Imperium)'s in class skills.)
Forbidden Knowledge (Imperium) 2
Negotiation 2

Non-Career Skills
Use Technology 1
Ranged (Personal) 1

Talents
Explorer(Trader)
Caves of Steel: Remove 1 black from checks to navigate or move in urban environments or conditions.
Indistinguishable 1: Opposing characters upgrade the difficulty of any checks made to identify her by 1.
Know Somebody 1: Once per session, when attempting to purchase a legally available item, reduce its rarity by 1.
Wheel and Deal 1: When selling goods legally, gain 10% more credits. [NEEDS PROFIT FACTOR CONVERSION]

Personal Gear
Armor
Armoured Clothing (Defense: 1, Soak: 1, HP: 0, Encumbrance: 2)
Refractor Field (Defense: 2, Soak: 0, HP: 0, Encumbrance: 1)
Weapons
Bolt Pistol (Dam: 7, Crit: 3, Rg: Medium, HP: 2, Sp: (Vicious (1)), Enc: 2)
Sword (a basic nonfancy sword is gonna be cost 0, let's be real)
Other
Canteen
Chrono
3 boxes of lho leaves
3 cases of lho stick paper
Autoquill
Dataslate

Total Starting EXP purchases:
Free Skills
Cool 1, Knowledge (Imperium) 1, Forbidden Knowledge (Xenology) 1, Knowledge (Astromancy) 1, Negotiation 1, Commerce 1
Purchases
Intellect 3 (30 EXP), Commerce 2 (10 EXP), Negotiation 2 (10 EXP), Forbidden Knowledge (Imperium) 1 (5 EXP), Forbidden Knowledge (Imperium) 2 (10 EXP), Ranged (Personal) 1 (10 EXP), Deception 1 (5 EXP), Perception 1 (5 EXP), Pilot (Space) 1 (5 EXP), Know Somebody 1 (5 EXP), Wheel and Deal 1 (5 EXP)
Total: 100/100 EXP spent.

Background
Eustace was born on Footfall, among the scum and villains of a city only nominally devoted to the Emperor. A hub of business in Winterscale's Realm, it hung in space as a nexus of trade and commerce, and the young girl who would later become a Seneschal stalked its streets as a scavenger and urchin. For most of her early life, Eustace made a living in those streets. But she had always had a head for economy and numbers, self taught from skulking around near the backs of merchant premises, and eventually she decided she was too smart for mere survival. Stowing away on the first ship off Footfall, Eustace became a scribe and coin-counter for hire at the tender age of 16.

But Eustace never gave up on her Footfallen contacts, and even as she did counting work for several traders across the expanse, she expanded her network Upon the many worlds of the Imperium she met the unsavoury and worked for the honest alike, gaining a repertoire of knowledge on the less canny members of the Imperium. It wasn't long before her skills caught the eye of a small Rogue Trader who quickly snapped her up and put her to work as a master of coin for one of his many ships.

This was not the regular trade, of course. This was usury and financial matters, and often she had to organise men to collect debts. Once more, her fostering underworld connections bore fruit, and she quickly found out some... less above the board elements of society to help her with her various duties. But this was not to last. In the 26th year of her life, the Rogue Trader themselves fell into debt, and they were forced to foreclose to Primero Lunation, head of the Lunation family of Rogue Traders. Thus, was Eustace brought into the fold, where she simply melted into the background of their offices and observed.

Eventually, she began to gain the trust of her Rogue Trader once more, rising in the Lunation dynasty's esteem like a ghost of good omen. She became known as a reliable woman, someone with a steady hand and a wide array of experience. Her decade in the wilderness had reduced her contact web to almost nothing, but her knowledge of the criminal underworld was still there and she was knowledgeable on deals both fair and foul. By the age of 36, she was working as an assistant to the head Seneschal of the Lunation dynasty, dealing with loans and money movements of truly staggering size. Here she stayed for over 20 years, in her element and with plenty of pay.

Now she is 59, her hair going grey and enough lho for several hundred sticks in her belt. Her unique blend of talents make her perfect for the role of advisor to a newly minted scion of the Lunation dynasty. With her advice, her knowledge both allowed and forbidden and with a steady stream of reports to her master Primero, Eustace will guide this young individual to the heights of the Warrant's power.

Personality
A calm and soft spoken lady, who effects to be a common crewmember unless she has to appear in her official capacity. She can often be found in fairly drab clothes when not in her official Seneschal getup, simply watching the other crewmates carefully. She, at least to begin with, is more than happy to share what she knows with her charge, and regards her job with pride and satisfaction. Matters are only truly serious when her latest lho rollup is nowhere near her mouth.

Description
A greying brown haired green eyed woman with slightly tanned skin and a slight build. Standing at 5'5", she is not at all that heavy, preferring lighter clothes wherever she can and shunning anything she deems too elaborate. Although most of the time she travels in a regular voidswoman uniform and perhaps a cloak to conceal firearms, she also has a reinforced jacked with a tunic and trousers underneath in the house colours, for when she simply must leave an impression.
Last edited by Potato on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Potato
Level 1

Re: Seneschal Eustace Trevelyan (Fortune's Gate) [WIP]

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:20 am

Hi!

The basic idea looks solid, but the xp costs are a little off (your undercharging yourself). I'll send you a PM with the correct method. Good catch on the wheel & deal - i'll post a converted version of it in the Skills and Talents thread once I figure it out.

You're also correct about the weapons - however, I'm going to be using a more universal starting equipment system (which I don't have up yet) so don't worry to much about that.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Potato » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Changed the skills so the math works out. Gonna do the fluff when I get the time.

As for Wheel and Deal, what if it boosted the number value of Assets gained from successful endeavours - or what if it increased the bonus when trading in items for Acquisition purposes?
Potato
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Negotiation, which is the primary skill used for legal merchant activities in FFG's system, uses Presence as the key attribute. Having an average (2) trait to drive it is less than optimal. Presence is used for friendly social interaction and to positively impress people. Your 3 in Cunning is used for your Deception skill, and any other skill involved in sneaky, underhanded, or unsavory interactions.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Potato » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:44 pm

I was trying to keep the Seneschal's sneakiness in FFG while also being good at what I assume is Intellect-driven Commerce. Bit of a tight budget, sadly.
Potato
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Unless Quicksilver is planning to change the way that commerce works from the mechanics in FFG, commerce is not an Intellect-based activity. It is Presence-driven, per the Negotiation and Charm skills. Intellect governs knowledge-based skills. That's academics (as in economic theory), not day-to-day practice of actually being a trader. The difference between a Masters (or Ph.D) in Economics and a CFO with a MBA (AFAIK, there's no such thing as a business doctorate), to put in into earthly terms.

You may need to look at a different homeworld, if there is one that boosts Presence. Check with QS regarding how commerce will be working in this game.

Just so you know, I'm playing a 'face' (and the mercantile expert) in Swrider's game here, so I'm pretty familiar with how FFG handles commerce. But since this is QS' adaptation of FFG's rules for a totally different universe/setting, some things might be altered. I'm going by what she posted regarding the skill conversions, which didn't alter any of the social interaction skills, so I'm assuming that the underlying FFG rules for social interactions, including commerce, still applies.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Potato » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Well in that case I could just.. swap my purchase to Presence 3. I'd rather not change the home world, but...
Potato
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Shado is absolutely correct that buying and selling is a Presence based activity – mostly Negotiation based skill wise. I intentionally added the Commerce skill as an intellect skill to "spread the weight" of financial interests. They are different though – Commerce is almost a knowledge skill – it represents knowing markets, and values and financial practices, but also how to use them in a practical situation. It's the skill of stockbrokers and fund managers.

In game terms it's primarily used for managing Asset/Wealth conversion, Asset protection, and the and assessment of the potential asset value of activities. Negotiation is used for when your directly engaging with a person (or persons) over items to determine relative value.

So to be a master of finances, you need both Presence and Intellect – But you do have a very charismatic Rogue Trader with Negotiate – so corner your own skill market, if you desire.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Since the RT is focused on Presence/Negotiate, then the Seneschal should focus on Asset conversion and protection, aka the Intellect side of things. If I were you, Potato, I would try to avoid doubling up on what the RT has in skills and talents and instead try to complement him with what he lacks. Especially avoid taking the same mercantile-related talents. Unlike skills, in which one player having the same skill as another can help that other player with a roll, talents don't stack across characters (well, I can't think of any exceptions offhand). Which, I expect, will require a fair bit of coordination between the two players during their character building process.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 pm

If you can, could you switch up the 'bought' section to make the math work – it's easier on me then trying to figure it out myself. I'm still working out how Wheel and Deal will work exactly, keep tossing between ideas. Otherwise, looking forward to seeing the history and personality sections come alive.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Potato » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:45 pm

tweaked the stats, and more importantly... Finally added the fluff!
Potato
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Awesome!

I like the history, she seems like she'll be a cool character to have around. The equipment list looks good, I'll work on kicking out some exact stats on the items that need it. It'd be good if you can transfer the equipment stats that do exist to your character sheet for ease of reference as well. Once that's settled, you're ready to transfer to the Character's section of the Fortune's Gate forum.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Potato » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Right, made the changes. Hopefully it checks out now.
Potato
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Drop in the rest of the stuff I PMed you (like sword & Wheel talent), then you're good to transfer to the Character forum.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Return to Character Review