Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Strike Force Isk - Operation: Shadowpoint (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Re: Strike Force Isk - Operation: Shadowpoint (OOC)

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:58 am

Whoops, edited.

On a point of clarification - I take that statement to mean we are the only Alliance members on the planet. As opposed to knowing there are no rebels (lower case, anti-imperial citizens/partisans) on the planet.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:03 am

Your point is well-taken. No Alliance members other than SFI.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Dr Lucky » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:23 am

Setting up a front as smugglers seems like a good idea.
Dr Lucky
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Are you folks still playing? If so, then some more posts IC would seem to be in order. As well as some "table talk" in OOC. Of course it's kind of hard to make progress in a game when several players don't even bother to log in, never mind post. Jedi Ronin hasn't been on the board in over a day, and hasn't posted here since last weekend. Baron Fel has been AWOL for about 2 weeks or so. DeepSpacer was on this board yesterday, but appears to have ignored this game.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Jedi Ronin » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 am

I agree - smugglers is a good cover. It also has a ring of truth to it which helps too.

I had Joran throw the idea of a homestead or business out there as a possibility because I wasn't sure what resources we have and as *maybe* something we could grow into as a cover if it was interesting enough or appropriate.
Jedi Ronin
Level 6

Postby Dr Lucky » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:01 am

I think we got used to Telle being the leader, so it has been a little tough to get motivated and move out of this funk. We'll figure it out.
Dr Lucky
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:49 am

The character Telle is still the leader. Only the fact that she no longer has a player who's (permanently) claimed her as their own PC running her has changed. In the interim, Quicksilver has been temporarily filling in as her player.

Despite what Quicksilver said in the Fight or Flight thread about herself being "not the best conversationalist" (which I disagree with), Quicksilver has done an admirable job of playing the party's 'face' (Telle). Quicksilver may not feel comfortable/confident of her abilities in such a role, but as a GM who's over 20 years older than her (and with twice the amount of time spent roleplaying), I can safely say that her fears are unfounded. She's better than she thinks she is.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Dr Lucky » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:23 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
The character Telle is still the leader. Only the fact that she no longer has a player who's (permanently) claimed her as their own PC running her has changed. In the interim, Quicksilver has been temporarily filling in as her player.

Despite what Quicksilver said in the Fight or Flight thread about herself being "not the best conversationalist" (which I disagree with), Quicksilver has done an admirable job of playing the party's 'face' (Telle). Quicksilver may not feel comfortable/confident of her abilities in such a role, but as a GM who's over 20 years older than her (and with twice the amount of time spent roleplaying), I can safely say that her fears are unfounded. She's better than she thinks she is.

Agreed. I didn't mean to suggest that Quicksilver was doing anything less than a bang up job in taking over as Telle.
Dr Lucky
Level 4

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Aw..:oops: :)

Anyway, posted in hopes of moving us along. I was thinking the trip to Durrastead would be like carousing from EotE – Spends some money/give work/equipment and make a charm check for information relevant to the upcoming mission (going to Iziz.)
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Dr Lucky » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:58 pm

I appear to be locked out of posting in the IC thread. What's up?
Dr Lucky
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Sorry. Yesterday evening I revamped the permissions sets for various of this board's member groups. Something that I should have done long ago. When I tightened the restrictions on the non-player groups (such as newly-registered members), I overlooked checking the permissions on the "players" (red) group. It was set to default to the same permissions as that of newly-registered members. This was bad, because I had drastically limited which forums non-players have posting permission in. It's been fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Now I have to go check (and probably fix) the GM (orange) group's permissions...
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:09 pm

So, do we want to jump to a "Durrastead Montage"?
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Jedi Ronin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Sounds good to me.
Jedi Ronin
Level 6

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:15 pm

I have a different proposal...

No offense intended to this group of players; I like and respect all of you. But it seems to me that this group of players isn't particularly adept at participating in a loosely structured mission where the players define their group's own goals, and then sets out to accomplish said self-imposed task(s). I hope that I'm not selling any of you short. It's just my impression of how this game has progressed (or not, as may be).

The first mission, the FFG scripted adventure to take over Whisper Base was short, and fairly linear, with clear goals imposed upon the players (rather than self-imposed). With the exception of a bad decision or two, that mission was accomplished fairly well, especially considering that it was your first with me as your GM and with each other as a gaming group.

But the follow-on adventure, the one that you're in the midst of now, which is much less restrictive as to what the players can do and in what order they do it in, hasn't fared remotely as well. And, frankly, hasn't been much fun for me, since (contrary to the opinions of some) I do not enjoy seeing my players struggle nor do I relish pointing out when they screw up.

This leaves me with three options to go forward. The first is to let you continue as you've been 'planning' (such as it is) and hope that things get better. That qualifies as 'insane', where insanity is defined as doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome.

The second option is to advance the plot to where Whisper base comes under attack from the Moff's forces (skipping past the encounter with the pilot that periodically resupplies the base, and also rapidly skipping through the party visiting Iziz — which I still haven't seen anyone here come up with a viable plan to accomplish — to get stuff).

The third option is really just an extension of the second. Skip all the way to the end of your stay on Onderon and move the entire group on to the next adventure, Onslaught at Arda I, which is a more structured adventure that I know we'll all have fun going through. Lots of combat, lots of opportunity for skills use for more than just the face PC (rogue and tech PCs will have lots to do) and for triggering various Duty. Did I mention fun? I think it's a great adventure.

It should be easy to tell that I prefer option 3, but I'll go along with whatever the group prefers to do. It's not just my game, and roleplaying should, ideally, be cooperative storytelling with the players fully invested in their characters and their roles.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:24 pm

PS - moving on to OaA also provides a plausible opportunity to replace (or drop) characters. Since we're presently short players for the face and pilot roles. I'd much prefer to replace the characters, since both of those roles are important at various points during the (lengthy) course of OaA.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:36 am

I would tend to agree. I've found in my own experience that sandboxes in general tend to flounder on PbP, I think in part from the delayed measure of conversation. Perhaps also the difficulties of pauses vs. waiting and similar. Not really sure, but I've seen the pattern elsewhere. So, yeah, I would support jumping to the next "mission" after turning the base over.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:42 am

Yeah. The more inter-player communication is required, the worse the problems in PbP. If a player can only post once a day and "table chat" takes a week (or 2-3), that can easily kill a game. Thanks for confirming what I suspected.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Previous

Return to Out of Context