Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

I have 25 dollars...

Real life discussions. Marriages, children, puppies, complaining about your brother-in-law, whatever...

I have 25 dollars...

Postby DoctorWho » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:50 pm

So I have 25 dollars in an amazon giftcard, which SW FF RPG guide should I get? I have the EotE core and Enter the Unknown. I'm planning on running a sandbox type game with friends this fall using the setting. What books would be most conducive to this sandboxing?
DoctorWho
Level 15

Re: I have 25 dollars...

Postby FeBommel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:48 am

I haven't got the book yet, but I've heard that Lords of Nal Hutta should be really good - details about Hutt space and politics, plot-hooks...
It sounds like the perfect fit for a group of smugglers, criminals and bounty hunters also known as the typical EotE group.
Of course it depends on what sort of stories you and your group want to tell...
Playing as Dr. Bria Tannen, Taamos Selkant and Kareth Dune in ShadoWarrior's Far Orbit Project.
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:07 am

I'm partial to Enter the Unknown, the Explorer sourcebook. Duros and Toydarian species, lots of handy new gear (such as the ever-popular ECM-598 Medical Backpack), a Signature Ability which is the only means in the game system by which a character may use three maneuvers in a turn, and several nice new weapons. Plus lots more. It's not a book that's just useful for exploration-based campaigns.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:11 am

Right now I'm working on figuring out the stories to tell. It's going to be set during the Clone Wars, that much I know, and the party will start between jobs.

So I guess I'm really looking for something with a ton of things I can use for plothooks, and maybe a mini adventure or two. Lords of Nal Hutta was one I was looking at, also Suns of Fortune. I also heard one of the other books, Far Horizons I think, had a great section on designing a business and keeping it running, that might be useful too.

Are any of the three published Adventures good?
DoctorWho
Level 15

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:36 am

I'd steer clear of adventure books until I owned all the books with "crunch" in them. Personally, I find EtU to be more useful than FH. Eventually you'll want both. SoF and LoNH are useful if your game happens to take the players to those sectors. Otherwise, not so much. I rarely have need to look at anything in them. YMMV. If your group is going to be full of grubby scoundrels and guns-for-hire, and will have ample occasion to wander in (or near) Hutt space, then LoNH may be a good investment.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:59 am

Thanks for the advice!

Are there any older Star War RPG guides from WEG or WotC days that have good stuff for building plots with?
DoctorWho
Level 15

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:38 am

Nothing from WEG, since WEG's products only cover the Rebellion era and predate most of the post-GCW novels. WotC's stuff covers all the eras, and they had one book specifically devoted to the Clone Wars. I'll admit, though, that with the WotC books I mostly used them for the crunch inside of them. However, I will say that WotC's Saga Edition book Scum and Villainy was very useful to me in helping to build some scenes back when I ran SE games. Unfortunately, in FFG similar content is spread across quite a few books. Which makes it harder and much more expensive, for GMs and players running EotE-style games. What was condensed (mostly) in one d20 book is now most of the entire EotE product line for FFG.

Not that this does you much good, since the book is long out of print and likely hard to find, but one of the best books ever written about plot building was the Narrator's Guide for Decipher's Star Trek RPG. This book should be in every GM's library, even if they never play/run a Star Trek RPG.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:19 am

So it looks like the ones that are below 25 on Amazon are Beyond the Rim, Mask of the Pirate Queen, Dangerous Covenants, Far Horizons, the Jewel of Yavin, GM screens, and the new adventure for the FaD rules.

Out of these, I just need to figure out one to get. I might go for a prewritten campaign, to help me understand the rules better before I dive into building encounters and challenges and such myself. But right now I don't know, I wan them all :P
DoctorWho
Level 15

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:45 am

Beyond the Rim is a great adventure, but there are several weak areas (most notably the first and last sections) that require some work on the part of a GM to fix. By weak, I mean areas that weren't developed enough by the writers or contain confusing, vague, or outright badly-written stuff. Overall, though, I think that it's a fun adventure to send a player group through. But it's not designed for starting characters (not unless you want to do some major reworking of the encounters). Unless my players object and want to do something else, I was planning to run my Trial By Fire PbP group through it as their next adventure.

I was unimpressed with JoY and MotPQ. GM screens are a waste of money. DC and FH are useful.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:55 am

My thought on the GM screen was for easy reference, so I could give my book to others at the table and I'd have it so we didn't have to keep passing the one core book around. But I have heard they are rather basic, thanks for the suggestions.

I'll probably get either Beyond the Rim, if I can find a copy to peruse first to check it over, or DC or FH. Thanks for all the information on stuff.

Yeah, the party is going to start out with 15 extra XP I think, maybe 20, although I don't think so. We all played the intro game last year, so they know generally how it works. So Beyond the Rim as a non-starting thing wouldn't be too bad.
DoctorWho
Level 15

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 am

While inside BtR it says that it's designed for starting characters, my own experience with it is that it works better with characters that have at least one adventure under their belt already. So 15-20xp should do nicely, along with a decent understanding by both players and GM of how the FFG system works. A more pertinent issue, IMHO, is how much money the players have to equip themselves with. It can make a huge difference as to how much they'll struggle when they have to face the dangers of being deep in the jungle of an untamed planet with critters no one has ever seen before.

Bear in mind that some of the gear from EtU and FH come in very handy for groups planning to tackle BtR.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:20 am

I'll have to see if my local game store here in the UK has a copy I can flip through. They have the new FaD adventure, but I haven't gotten to peruse it yet.
DoctorWho
Level 15

Postby ennervance » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:32 pm

I disagree the GM screens are a waste of money, but they may not be everyone's cup of tea. The quick references are handy, and I personally liked the EotE adventure they included (though manumitted droids always intrigued me). I think overall they have done a great job including valuable things in all of the released books, and I'm collecting all of them as funds allow.

I do say skip the published adventures for now; the core books give a nice walkthrough on building basic adventures. Get all the players some system experience before you move into one of those. JoY I also thought was less than ideal, which is why I waited two years to pick it up. Far Horizons may have more useful stuff in it than Dangerous Covenants, but the latter may appeal to a group of players who all want to be heavily-armed mercenaries.
ennervance
Level 4

Return to IRL