Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Kareth Dune (Far Orbit Project)

Initial Character concepts can be posted here prior to a new game's sub-forum being created.

Moderator: GameMasters

Kareth Dune (Far Orbit Project)

Postby FeBommel » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:32 pm

"It doesn't matter if some higher-up signs a peace treaty - As long as the Core Worlds still tyrannize the outer systems we'll fight on. It doesn't matter if nobody supports our cause - As long as we've got our own hands we can build new weapons and we'll fight on. It doesn't matter if we go hungry and cold - As long as there still planets in the galaxy we'll find a safe spot and we'll fight on. It doesn't even matter if they manage to kill us - As long as someone picks up our weapons and continuous the battle we'll fight on." - Kareth Dune

Career: Diplomat
Specialization: Quartermaster, Agitator
Species: Human male
Experience: Starting XP: 120 (110XP + 10XP for additional 10 obligation) / Total XP: 160 / Unspent XP: 0
Characteristics: Brawn 2, Agility 2, Intelligence 2, Cunning 3, Willpower 2, Presence 4
Wound Threshold: 0/12, Strain Threshold: 0/12, Soak: 4 (2 + 2 for armor), Defense: 0/0
General Skills: Charm 1, Deception 1, Discipline 1, Negotiation 3, Streetwise 1, Vigilance 1
Combat Skills: Ranged Heavy 1
Knowledge Skills: Outer Rim 1, Warfare 1
Talents: Know Somebody 1, Wheel and Deal 1

Equipment
Gear: Utility Belt (25Cr), Backpack (50Cr), "Rider" Ascension Pistol (275Cr), Mercantiler Datapad (250Cr), Holo V Audio/Visual Translator (750Cr), Extra Reload (25Cr), Comlink (handheld) (25Cr), Hand Scanner (100Cr), Scanner Googles (150Cr), 4 Stimpacks (4x25Cr = 100Cr), 6 Ration Packs (6x5Cr = 30Cr)
Armor: Padded Armor (500Cr)
Weapons: Slugthrower Rifle (250Cr), 2 Stun Grenades (2x75Cr = 150Cr)
Money: 541Cr (520Cr + 21Cr)
Encumbrance: 11/12

Appearance

Height: 1.83m
Build: brawny
Hair colour: black-grey
Eyes: grey

Kareth is a grizzled and old veteran of countless battles against the Empire. His body is covered in scars, the most prominent one running on his forehead. His once-black hair and beard has already partially turned to a dirty grey and Kareth's grey eyes are dull and hardened but still sharp.

Personality

"You know, sometimes I think about what I would do if things would have turned out differently. This other Kareth Dune would probably still manage his family’s company. This other Kareth Dune is an idiot. As long as the Core Worlds stay in power, the tyranny, oppression and nepotism won't stop. The Core Worlds are wealthy and powerful - negotiations and reforms won't change the situation. Our only chance is battle - Imperials die as fast as everyone else." - Kareth Dune

Kareth can barely remember times where he wasn't busy fighting the Empire. Through all these times, he stayed with his former CIS commander, supplying their troops as good as he could. Kareth does not trust people from the Core Worlds in general but has no problem with individual persons from the Core Worlds. As long as he and his comrades can maintain their battle against the Empire, Kareth will work together with anyone.

There are several reasons why Kareth distrusts the Rebel Alliance. Firstly its origins are located in the despised Core, secondly their leaders like Mon Mothma and Bail Organa were Republican figureheads and Senators, and thirdly the Alliance is far too big in Kareth's opinion. Rebel cells should be small. That way troops can easily regroup after a defeat and even after the extinction of a cell the rebellion goes on. Furthermore, leaders should share the fate of their troops and not recline in their chairs on a world far away. That way they could not stab their forces in the back, like the remaining CIS leaders did when they surrendered.

Kareth is now alone and the sole survivor of his cell after the disaster of Eiattu 6. He left his comrades, friends and his former commander dead behind as there was nothing left he could do for them but to keep fighting and to find the traitor who had sold their position to the Empire.

At the moment, his mind is occupied by two competing feelings: A cold rage against the Empire's minions and the traitor and a deep sadness. For the first time in decades he is alone. He has lost many battles against the Empire during the last years and had to leave many a comrade behind but his commanding officer and the rest of his comrades still remained. He had not much time to think as organizing supplies while being hard-pressed from all sides was a full-time job. Now he has no one left to care for and it is far too easy to acquire food and weapons for a Rebel cell of one.

Story

"You can take these crates of food in exchange for your shipment of military-grade blasters or not - it's your choice. But I'll be damned if you find anyone else willing to buy stolen Imperial weapons in this system." - Kareth Dune

Kareth was born and raised on Onderon, roughly thirty years before the fall of the Republic. His parents had a small mercantile business with several freighters. At first everything went well and they made a little fortune transporting, buying and selling cargo between Onderon and its neighboring systems. But times got bleak soon. As the Republic lost more and more control of the outer systems piracy spread like wildfire. His parents' company lost several of their ships but they would have still been able to survive until the Senate raised the trade route taxes. That was the last blow to the family business and left them impoverished.
The now grown-up Kareth joined Onderon's defense forces as a means to raise money. His superiors soon realized that Kareth was gifted with the ability to negotiate and trade. Therefore, he got a job in the Supplies and Acquisitions department.

As the Senate became more and more ineffective, corrupt and oppressive, Onderon and the planet's Senator Mia Bonterri pledged their support to the Separatist cause. The planet's defense forces including Kareth were integrated in the newly formed CIS military. The start of the Clone Wars was cheered by Kareth. Finally they were moving against the corrupt Republic and snobbish Core systems responsible for his family's downfall. The Republic had shown its true face during the first battle of the war. A gigantic clone army raised in secret attacked unprovoked the independent planet Geonosis. During the first years of the war, Kareth's job was easy: The Trade Federation's and Techno Union's funds were almost inexhaustible and their facilities produced thousands of battle droids per day. But as the war dragged on and more and more Separatist worlds were besieged by Republic fleets, Kareth's resources got sparse. He was busy receiving a long-awaited shipment of energy cells for his unit on Felucia when the surrender and death of the Separatist council was relayed and all battle droids shut down. After a quick and heated discussion with the other non-droid soldiers they took everything they could carry, left their camp and made their way into the planet's jungle to wage a guerrilla war on the newly proclaimed Empire.

During the next years, Kareth's job got harder, he and his unit had to do with whatever supplies they could raid and more and more of his former comrades were left behind as corpses. After a few years they relocated their base of operations thanks to a handful of starfighters and transports they had raided. They found a different, changed galaxy. More and more people were ready to fight against the ruthless and oppressive Empire and Kareth's group soon found new recruits and sponsors.

That was Kareth's life during the next decade: Arrive at a planet with their remaining forces, raise the resistance against the Empire, acquire support and supplies, fight against Imperial troops, and retreat hastily to another system with the remaining survivors after the Empire had rounded up their supporters, killed their suppliers, busted their base and overwhelmed their forces.

His last stop was on Eiattu 6, where he and his commander, the two sole survivors of the original Separatist forces turned guerrilla fighters, had built up a local Rebel cell. They heard news of the formation of the Alliance to Restore the Republic but decided to stay independent as the Alliance's leaders were the same snobbish Core-Worlders they had once fought. The two veterans did not trust these Rebels but had to grudgingly admit that the Alliance was at least successful - Kareth and his comrades had never managed to blow up a Death Star...

The news of the Destruction of Alderaan and the Battle of Yavin rallied supporters to the Rebel cell's cause and Kareth had finally funds to spend once more. He arranged a delivery of proton torpedos with a Toydarian black-market dealer to arm their fighters and freighters for an attack against Imperial facilities on Eiattu 6 but there must have been a traitor within the Rebel ranks. As soon as the business parties had met and were busy exchanging the torpedoes, Imperial forces attacked. Kareth tried to rally the defenders but a lucky shot hit one of the proton torpedoes behind him. A vicious force slammed into Kareth's back and everything went black.

When Kareth awoke and staggered to his feet, all his eyes could see was utter carnage. Every single one of their ships and transports was destroyed and Kareth's dead comrades lay everywhere. Nobody had survived but Kareth, whom the Imperial stormtroopers apparently must have thought dead as well. Confused and injured, Kareth searched for survivors but found none. He only found the corpse of his last friend and commander, the blaster wounds in his chest still smoldering.

Kareth made his way to a secret safe house where he recovered. After that, he got a transport to StarForge Station, eager to avenge his fallen friends and comrades and to bring death and war to the Empire once more.

The Far Orbit seems a perfect fit for Kareth. It is powerful, small, and independent. Exactly like a Rebel cell should be structured in Kareth's opinion.

Obligation

A Score to Settle - 5: Someone betrayed Kareth's Rebel cell on Eiattu 6 and got every member of the cell except Kareth killed. Kareth would love to return the favour...
Bounty - 15: The Empire has placed a prize on Kareth's head as he is a known Separatist, terrorist and Rebel.

Duty

Resource Acquisition - 0: As ex-quartermaster of a Rebel cell, Kareth is used to the difficulties of keeping a small military organization well supplied and running.

Morality

Justice/Cruelty - Morality 50: Kareth is a grizzled veteran of guerrilla warfare against the tyranny of the Core Worlds, first against the Republic, later on against the Empire. He fights for freedom and justice but the difference between necessity and cruelty became more and more muddled for Kareth in his decades-long war...

Motivations

Cause - Overthrow the Empire
Last edited by FeBommel on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Playing as Dr. Bria Tannen, Taamos Selkant and Kareth Dune in ShadoWarrior's Far Orbit Project.
FeBommel
Level 1

Re: Kareth Dune (Far Orbit Project)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:10 pm

I haven't yet cleaned up your post, but I like what I see. As soon as I review the XML of this character, which I just downloaded (thank you), I'll let you know further.

His dislike of Core Worlders may make for an ... interesting relationship with Captain Vedij, the son of a Baron/Admiral from Coruscant.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby FeBommel » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:20 pm

Yes, could be interesting. But as I wrote, he only dislikes people from the Core Worlds in general, not individuals. He has no problem working with anyone as long as everyone keeps busy fighting the Empire.
He is of course wary of joining the crew of an ex-Imperial warship, but he doesn't have any options - he is a lone Rebel without any further sponsors or contacts as all his allies on Eiattu 6 were killed, arrested or forced to flee. The Far Orbit is pretty much his only chance to help him fight the Empire.
Playing as Dr. Bria Tannen, Taamos Selkant and Kareth Dune in ShadoWarrior's Far Orbit Project.
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:35 pm

I've cleaned up your post at the top. Please note the (great many) edits and apply them to your XML.

Yes, I know that English isn't your native tongue. My German is not even remotely as good as your English.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby FeBommel » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Sorry about that. I wrote the story today and posted it immediately without any further proof-reading. Did you only edit the background story or the stat and gear sections as well?
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:55 pm

I edited the entire post.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby FeBommel » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Sorry again. As I said, I usually proof-read my posts but I just wanted to publish the story as soon as possible this time. I've just edited the XML files. Unfortunately, there's still a bug in my character generator: I can't save Kareth's obligations and I have no idea why. I added his obligations at the end of the character's background story.
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Your XML is broken. It shows that you have a starting XP of 120 when the correct value should be 110 (what a human gets). It throws off the math when I add in Obligation, or any earned XP. Please redo the character gen XML sheet from scratch, leaving out Obligation (and anything purchased with it, such as the two talents). Once I have an XML from you which isn't broken I'll add in the Obligation (which works fine for me) and talents (purchased with the Obligation) and I will make the revised XML available to you.

I've tried fixing your XML but I cannot remove the extra XP that you gave yourself.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby FeBommel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:03 am

I uploaded a new version of the XML file.
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby FeBommel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:53 am

I spent the bonus XP and the extra money and updated both the post and the XML file.

Roll for pocket money:
pocket money: 1d100 21
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:26 am

The character generator lists encumbrance as 11/12.

For 20 XP you could pick up the Agitator specialization, which will give you Coercion, Streetwise, and Underworld as career skills. Which would reduce your cost to pick up the new rank in Streetwise to just 5 (total of 25 XP). The 15 XP difference can come from not taking the 2 ranks in Smooth Talker. Picking up the new specialization will save you XP in the long run, since those are all skills you will likely try to improve at some point. Unless you are trying to get to Dedication as fast as possible (in which case you should have saved the 5 XP from the top-row Smooth Talker box).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby FeBommel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:32 am

Picking up the Agitator spec sounds like a good idea. I'll update the XML file and character sheet.

Edit: Updated both.
FeBommel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:43 am

The character is approved in place of the flying rodent.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby FeBommel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:51 am

Thank you!
By the way, feel free to use Vendri as a NPC if you ever need a slimy black-market dealer character.
FeBommel
Level 1

Return to Character Review