Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Lovecraftian Cult Possible Rules

Discussion of various rule systems and possible home rules

Lovecraftian Cult Possible Rules

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Alright, since this section is for home rules, I figured this would go here. I need some input on the workings of a Lovecraftian Cult (centered around Abeloth) that I am creating for an adventure. The ideas I have are as follows:

- The cultists can perform rituals to gain temporary use of the force. The ritual used is the sacrifice of an innocent victim (innocent meaning not as evil as the one sacrificed to, Abeloth), then using the blood to draw a pentagram on one's self while chanting "Iä Iä Abeloth, fhtagn! fhtagn!"(none of my offline gaming friends read Lovecraft, so I figure it won't sound too shameless :mrgreen: ) The bonus it gives them is +10 to use the force for 12 hours, and 5 force powers to choose from (neutral or dark side). Since the act to gain the powers is blatantly Dark side, the use of said powers doesn't need to be labeled as a giver of DS points.

- The cultists can release a small portion of Abeloth into the world, but I don't yet know how to stat tentacles with the force.

Do either of those rules sound very broken?
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Re: Lovecraftian Cult Possible Rules

Postby Teknon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:22 am

The first does not seem like something I would let my players do. I might allow an NPC to do it, but their DSS would be immediately increased to equal their Wisdom score (i.e. the ritual requires the one doing it to give themselves fully to the dark side).

It seems that you might be wanting to use this ceremony as a plot device - that the players must stop the ritual, or things are going to get really bad. If this is the case, I would create two stat bocks for each NPC (or category of NPC) - one to be used when not under Abloth's influence, and one that is significantly stronger when they are. The second would be several levels higher, have Force sensitivity, and Force powers as appropriate. After the effect of the ritual has passed, simply revert back to the original stat block.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Re: Lovecraftian Cult Possible Rules

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah, none of my PCs would use this, unless they turned to the DS in some desperate attempt to do something heroic (I am coming up with several conditions for this scenario), and that would be an option. They will be playing Republic Intelligence agents. Most of my "missions"/plot lines will be knock-offs of other stories, set to Star Wars style. I have this Lovecraft thing, and also a knock-off of the 70's Doctor Who episode Genesis of the Daleks.

The players will be very likely to fall to the DS, since most of the missions they will be on are stuff that Palpatine will personally order them to do, and he is a bastard that wants competition out of the way.

Thanks on the input, and I think I'll be lowering the time frame to 1 hour.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Return to Republic Senate