Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Pirate's Bay OOC

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: swrider

Re: Pirate's Bay OOC

Postby GandofGand » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am

...geeze, we have a Capitol Ship? need to go look at those stats then...maybe Commodore would be better?
Aaand now I see the Chadra-Fan using a box to stand on and give orders...8D
I'll look over all the Pilot-type classes and sew what fits. I don't have a personality for the character in mind yet though, that may get determined by profession...
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me
GandofGand
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:22 am

Dude, you need to do your homework on this game, and the party you're joining! Start by reading this, please. Then go two posts down and look at our droids. Have fun.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby GandofGand » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:54 am

Right Gozanti...slow and cumbersome...going to Need Pilot/Rigger just to counter the Maneuver Penalties...
Skilled Jockey can overcome 2 of the three setback, if I can get down to Tune Thrusters I can negate the Penalty altogether...but dunno if I can pull that off with the Xp Availible,

Rather see the Hyperdrive Upgrade replaced by Maneuvering Thrusters
GandofGand
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:28 am

You're thinking like a fighter jock, not a warship commander (or the captain of a commercial ship) where getting to a destination system quick is more important than trying to dodge gnats that you can't out-fly no matter how much you try. Maneuvering isn't the most important factor in battle. It's blowing your enemies apart. It's also being able to escape if need be. Having a faster hyperdrive lets us elude pursuit if we can't outfight an enemy. The Empire has no ship fast enough to tail us. We can jump somewhere, be followed, drop out, compute a new jump, and vanish before an enemy can catch us and see where we've jumped to. Star Wars has no Trek-like "ion trails" to follow. If an enemy isn't in the system with you when you jump they have no way to know where you've gone to.

Handling only applies to pilot checks, not to gunnery checks. When using a capital ship, you just basically sit there and shoot at anything in range. Sometimes you need to chase down an enemy who decides to run away. That's pretty much it. You won't be doing any of that "Han Solo ****". More like Admiral Ackbar: "concentrate fire on..."

The most important rigger talents for us are:
    Fancy Paint Job (so Ari can do her face-type skill checks even better, and those checks happen a lot)
    Bolstered Armor (so that when we get hit, we don't take much damage, and we do take damage -- often)
The other ship-boosting talents are all nice, every last one of them, but the two listed above will come into play the most.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby GandofGand » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:49 am

I see the logic but imagine the expressions on a Tie-Pilots face when the Gozanti does a loop-de-loop and ends up behind them...
"Cap shisp are suppsoed to DO that!! 8D
Yeah have to see what I can do with 200xp...well 180 after adding Rigger...unless I take JUST rigger...
Last edited by GandofGand on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GandofGand
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:09 am

What I've said is so that you don't make a mistake in building and find out that what you'd like to do isn't practical, or that you're not having fun. Being sidelined (like having a melee-focused character who can't do anything useful during space combat) is no fun. But it's nearly as frustrating when you have all these talents you've spent valuable points on and you can't use them to make a difference. Players need to feel that they can contribute, and that their efforts matter. Hence my comments and suggestions.

Play a Pilot/Rigger (or plain Rigger) if you think you'll enjoy that. Or a Commodore (though bear in mind that we don't have organic NPCs aboard the ship, only droids). Or a Gunner. Whatever you think you'll enjoy the most. Any of those can be useful in our group. Just keep in mind exactly what you'd be doing during battle and tailor accordingly. Oh, and don't forget that at least half of what we do is done off-ship. And we do it on foot. We don't currently have any speeders. It's on my to-buy list, but getting better ship's guns (which we just did) was a higher priority.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:00 pm

I'll be back up and running on Monday. Don't feel rushed though as we can wait for the characters to be finished before moving forward. No full Jedi... Unless you have one hell of a backstory as it just wouldn't make sense in the game right now. Force sensitive we can do and full Jedi is possible, but won't be introduced right away so it will need to be a second character. Also I will be approving all back story for such a character since the clone wars. That being said I am always will to listen to ideas and change my mind if someone has good reason.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: May 24-25th
Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby GandofGand » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:59 am

I'm going to stick to the Medic and Pilot/Rigger without Force Powers...already running 2 force sensitives in local games anyway.
GandofGand
Level 4

Postby GandofGand » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:48 am

Question for swrider; for purpose of verification, we are only starting with 10 Duty correct? or 15?
GandofGand
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:58 am

GandofGand wrote:Question for swrider; for purpose of verification, we are only starting with 10 Duty correct? or 15?

Might help your case if you'd quoted my post on the subject:
ShadoWarrior wrote:
There are 4 characters with Duty currently: Owyn, Ari, and your two. The (recommended) starting Duty is 10 per PC for 4 Duty-driven PCs (Table 2-1, ACRB:46). OTOH, Ari was originally built with Obligation (Duty was added later during play), so swrider may consider treating the group as only having 3 Duty PCs, which would give you 5 more Duty to start with (and 5 more Duty for your medic as well). He'll have to decide.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby GandofGand » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:27 pm

My Posting-Fu is weak...8P
GandofGand
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:42 pm

BTW, I need to remind our GM of something rather important, just so that it doesn't get lost in all the posts he's had to read: Ari wasn't looking to hire / take on additional crew. Nor had Owyn or Hardnox expressed any opinions/desires to Ari on the subject. Both of Gand's characters are Duty-driven, which means that they can, and should, be foisted on us via the Rebellion. But that requires a roleplayed interaction with Ari (at the very least) and preferably with all three 'old' PCs, by either a Rebel contact and/or the prospective new crewmembers themselves. While OOC I'm tickled to have another player (and more real PCs), I have to act IC with my PC, and Ari isn't going to just meekly say OK to whatever. Ari's not the meek type. Far from it.

OOC, Ari will be warm to the idea of a qualified organic pilot type to take charge rather than our dedicated pilot droid (who can become the co-pilot). Especially if/when said rodent-PC (or his Rebel handler) sings the virtues of his skills and talents. That will excite Ari. As for the medic, not so much. Ari will be 'meh' to the idea of bringing Wendi aboard. What can she offer us that we haven't been able to do perfectly fine with stims? I'm telling you this now OOC so that you have time to come up with an argument that can convince her when the time comes to handle the conversation IC.

Which leads me to my final point. My new snake PC. He's not a Rebel. He's built using Obligation. Contact between him and the crew (Ari & company) has to be arranged by the GM. Why? Because while my new PC has been quietly/covertly looking for a means to get away from Nar Shaddaa, the character himself is not a Rebel and as mentioned above, Ari wasn't seeking a tech to replace Eckhal (although Hass is a much better tech than the one the party recently lost). Therefore since Ari wasn't looking, word either has to filter down to Ari (or Owyn) that someone's looking for passage offworld, or (less likely) word has to filter to Hass that there's a freighter that will soon be leaving that seems to be (under)crewed mostly by droids and that might have room for a passenger (either working or paid passage). So Ari will need to contact Hass, or vice versa, and then roleplay the interaction between the two PCs (perhaps with Owyn and Hardnox also, if they have an opinion).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby GandofGand » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:25 pm

I've still got to re-work Wendi's background (and write Chira's) but I did have a tentative idea for the two of them to come in together having worked together in the past with Chira being the Driver for Wendi's Ambulance-equivalent.
As far as introductions go...all good adventures start in a bar right? with a bar fight...with people getting hurt and need for hasty escape?
Could be that Wendi and Chira came on a separate mission that requires extracting someone who requires constant medical attention for some reason, but their extraction vehicle was destroyed or otherwise compromised (Impounded?). Their rebellion contacts point them in the direction of Ari and Crew as having a ship with a rebellion-friendly crew ready to go in a hurry...if the money is right...say the "Client" being extracted has the Money so the ship and crew are hired to get them off planet in a hurry.
Last edited by GandofGand on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GandofGand
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:47 pm

But that's just it: we don't need a pilot. We have 3 droids that have been filling that role. The need's on "your" end, not on "ours" (where 'you' is the new PCs, and 'us is the old PCs). Now Ari will be fine with doing a 'favor' for the Alliance. She's an actual Rebel, as is Owyn. But Hardnox isn't. He's a merc. He's in it for the money (and unlike Han Solo, he really is in it only for the money). So there has to be a monetary reason.

Also, something that can't be downplayed, is that Ari isn't sole owner of the ship, and she's only nominally the captain of said ship (because no one else wants the job and she's the face). While Ari is the registered owner/captain in Imperial records, in point of fact ownership is split between her, Hardnox, and two PCs no longer with the party (Eckhal, our former tech, and MidDen). Our GM hasn't discussed with us what happens to the half ownership of the ship of the two absent PCs. Those two characters aren't dead, just not in play. As for Owyn, while he's a PC, he has no share in the ship. Just the normal share of party income. So, financially, things are complicated, and getting even more so with additional PCs.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby GandofGand » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:08 pm

...edited, think that will work better?
This way the crew gets paid, Wendi and Chira get a chance to prove their usefulness and skills.

As for the Sluissi PC..could be he's an old friend of Chira? Both are mechanically-inclined, could have bumped into each other, found a mutual need to get off-planet...or maybe he's the contact that knows about the Ship and Crew and guides them there...for the price of a ticket off-world.
GandofGand
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm currently working as GM on my SFI AoR game (which, BTW, you're still more than welcome to join with whatever non-Force concept you might have a hankering to try out that you can fit into the group).

I don't care who has the money. That's just a "fiddly-bit" detail that can always be worked in however the GM (and you) want it. All that matters to us is that there's some money in it for us. Gotta keep our grunt PC motivated. :P

The snake has a backstory that doesn't connect at all with yous. He works for a Hutt-affiliated arms company and doesn't socialize (at all). So when he's not at work he's working at home. And waiting for someone to contact him. His search for passage off of Nar Shaddaa is through the Star Wars equivalent of the dark web. Hass (my snake) doesn't have enough money for normal booked (paid) passage. But he's such an outstanding tech that no sane ship would ever turn him away if he offers to trade labor for passage. This will come out in roleplay once he gets a face-to-face with the crew and he shows them his custom-crafted weapon and armor!
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 pm

I can adapt the story into the arc I was going to go towards. It should all work out. Money once again won't be a problem.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Swell. Now you just need to answer Gand's question re: duty, so he can progress his toon-building
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby GandofGand » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:52 pm

I was just thorwing out suggestions. Let the GM sort out the details...8)
GandofGand
Level 4

Postby swrider » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:56 am

10 duty ea for the new-characters are fine.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:56 pm

I'd like to point out that Hass Kaar is complete and waiting for review, Mr. GM.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Yeah I'm still playing catch up. He is next on my list to review. GoG characters looks to be pretty well taken care of. Thank you for reviewing them. Since you are more familiar with them than I please give the final approval to move them once you and GoG are happy with them. That will probably happen before I get caught up with yours and the other two games I am in or running.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:40 pm

No problem. Happy to help with GoG. I know you have your hands full just with mine. Ari always causes you headaches, and now I'm running a 2nd character! Lucky for you he's a support character. His flavor of headaches (mostly) happen during "downtime".
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Don't forget your other four characters in operation source :P

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:37 pm

I was deliberately not mentioning them. Ari's a tame pussycat compared to that bunch.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context