Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Orav Tokan (Far Orbit Project)

Initial Character concepts can be posted here prior to a new game's sub-forum being created.

Moderator: GameMasters

Orav Tokan (Far Orbit Project)

Postby obidancer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:52 pm

Orav Tokan / Chief Engineering

Career: Engineer
Specialization: Mechanics

Motivation: Belief - Justice : Despite the Tokan family's decision to abandon their pride to survive in the New Order, Orav holds true to the old tenets of honor and fairness that the noble family once held dear.

Connections - Military : Orav is deeply loyal to Dhas Vedij, willing to follow the man to hell and back if only because he sees the captain as a good man.

Duty: Tech Superiority 0 – The Far Orbit must be in its best shape possible for its class.
Earned Experience: 80
Unused XP: 0

Attributes
Brawn: 2, Agility: 2, Intellect: 4, Cunning: 2, Willpower: 2, Presence: 2

Derived Attributes
Wound Thld: 14, Strain Thld: 12, Soak: 1, Defense: 1/1
Encumbrance: 7/12

Skills
Athletics (Br) 1, Brawl (Br) 0, Computers (Int) 3, Core Worlds (Int)* 1, Discipline (Wil)* 1, Education (Int) 0, Mechanics (Int) 3, Perception (Cun) 2, Piloting - Space (Ag) 1, Ranged - Light (Ag) 0, Skulduggery (Cun) 0, Vigilance (Wil) 0

Talents
Mechanic: Gearhead 2, Toughness 1, Fine Tuning 1, Solid Repair 3, Redundant Systems, Bad Motivator.

Personal Gear
Armor
:arrow: Armored Clothing - Soak: 1 Defense:1 - Custom Fit (Remove ■ from Athletics and Stealth checks., 2 Remove an additional setback from Athletics and Stealth check mods)
:arrow: P-14 Hazardous Industrial Suit - Soak:2 - Features: Counts as wearing a breath mask., Add ■■ to Resilience checks to resist heat. cold, radiation, or other hostile environmental conditions., Wearer does not suffer effects of Burn or Disorient qualities., When suffering strain to take an extra maneuver, suffer 1 additional strain., Attachments: Energy Dispersion System (When reducing strain damage by soak, count soak as two higher)
Weapon
:arrow: HL-27 Light Blaster Pistol - Encumbrance: 1, Hard Points: 1/2, Rarity: 4, Price: 1,050, Damage: 5, Range: Medium, Critical: ωωω, Skill: Ranged - Light, Qualities: Accurate 2, Stun Setting, Attachments: Electronic Sighting System (1 Quality (Accurate 1) Mod, Allows shooter to aim as an incidental once per round at short range. Decreases the difficulty of Perception checks to locate the shooter in low light conditions by 1.)

Equipment and other Items

Heavy Clothing (Soak 1), Comlink (handheld), Datapad, Protective Goggles, Holo-Messenger, Emergency Repair Patch x3, Repulsor Clamp, Dataspike, Mechanical Dianoga, Mk. VI Modular Backpack, Model 58 Concealment Holster.
Credits Remaining: 505 (+ Pocket Change)
Funds: 612,043 credits

Background
Orav was born with the Navy as his destiny. The Tokan family was of higher birth, but made its fortune in providing security for transport companies and colonization efforts. So, as was expected of him, Orav took up captaining one of the family's ships when he came of age. However, he spent more time in the engine room than on the bridge, which frustrated both his crew and his family. While his ship became the best fighter in the Tokan's fleet, Orav didn't captain it for long. Instead, much to his father's chagrin, Orav began to operate the family's privately-owned shipyard, with only the spur in productivity saving Orav from being disowned.

This continued until the Republic created it's new military at the outset of the Clone Wars, and the Tokan family's property was drafted into the service (though the family made sure to extract a high price for it). Orav enlisted all the same, quickly becoming the chief engineer of a Venator as a result of his skills. Unfortunately, his new position was threatened when the Jedi apparently turned on the Republic, but Orav refused to help the crew of the ship capture the Jedi that was on-board, allowing him to free through an escape pod in the engineering bay.

Then, the Republic became the Empire, and Orav found himself on the way to the execution block for abetting an enemy of the state. Luckily, the Tokan family had maneuvered themselves into a favorable position in Palpatine's New Order, and with a few clever lies and greased palms were able to save Orav at the cost of his career.

From that point on, Orav floated between positions nobody in their right mind would want, simply doing his job and keeping his head down to keep it from being lopped off. That is, until he was assigned to the Far Orbit, and met its second-in-command, Dhas Vedij. Orav was inspired by the man, seeing that their pasts had much in common, except Dhas' family was brave enough to call out the Empire for its hypocrisy. His presence invigorated Orav, and when it came time for the mutiny he needed nothing more than the new-captain's word to round up the loyalists in the engineering bay before they could sabotage the ship.

Personality
Orav, despite his age, tries to keep things in a lighter mood than one would expect on a Navy ship. However, while he's not above a dirty joke to lighten the mood, he tries to hold up the image of a model officer whenever such an appearance is required of him. His light-heartened exterior also fades when in a crisis situation, when Orav locks down and commits himself to the task.

Description
Orav is a man of average size, whatever height he had over his compatriots lost at the onset of the later half of his fifties. He lost his hair at an early age, but still tries to hide it behind various hats. His eyes are hetero-chromatic, with one brown and the other blue. However, he uses contacts to make them match (though which color he chooses to match isn't always the same).

XML File
Last edited by obidancer on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
obidancer
Level 1

Re: Orav Tokan (Far Orbit Project)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:04 pm

Request: please post a link to an XML character sheet export. Once I've reviewed that, then I'll comment on several items of gear that he should have (some of which were on the old character sheet).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby obidancer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:09 pm

The only equipment I found on the old sheet was Custom Tool Kit which I purchased and Military Pack which I assume could be provided upon request. I have money left to spend with Orav, and I appreciate the guidance as far as which equipment will be useful. I have not taken a deep look at all of it, just basing it on my memory from the old days ;)

Click here for the xml
obidancer
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:07 am

You have on the sheet a Mechanic's Utility Suit, which is more expensive than a custom tool kit (which you do not have on his sheet), and does not provide the Boost die that the custom kit provides. You are correct that you can be issued a military pack should you wish one. But back to the tool kit thing, the custom kit is better (although, since it isn't clothing it does add to your weight load) and less expensive (not that money is an issue, even before the recent windfall.

Journeyman Tools Inc. Custom Tool Kit (700 credits, enc 5; SoT:45)
Mechanic's Utility Suit (1175 credits, enc 0 or 5; SM:48)

But if you prefer to forgo the custom kit's bonus Boost die and save yourself its inconvenience and bulk/weight (5), then the Mechanic's Suit is certainly a fine choice. Asides from my own personal inclination to "power game" and try to maximize dice pools, another factor is aesthetics/image. Wearing a regular Imperial (officer's) uniform (perhaps, now that he has lots of money, a custom-tailored special one) and using the custom kit when he needs to get his own hands 'dirty', versus wearing the Mechanic's Suit, which makes him look just like one of the grunt (enlisted) deckhands.

With regard to the old days of WEG d6 SWRPG, the FFG system does not have all of the old items of gear that were available in that system. Much of it, yes, but not all of it. OTOH, FFG has introduced new items not available in any previous version of SWRPG, so it sort of balances out.

I'll import the XML (thank you for posting it), review the build, and then spend some time looking at FFG's gear and see what, if any, other recommendations I can make. While I'm doing that, there's an online index here that you might like to look at.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:40 pm

A couple of items that you might be interested in:

Aratech R82 jump boots (2000cr; SoR:115)
Mechanical Dianoga (225cr; SM:52)
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby obidancer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 pm

Could definitely go for the Mechanical Dianogaa to help with the Starships Repairs.
I updated the xml file, and modified the character sheet with some more and/or different equipment.
obidancer
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:22 am

The grav belt item was removed from the game by one of the devs when asked about in in a FFG Q&A thread on the FFG forums. This is why I mentioned the jump boots. The boots aren't nearly as nice as an a-grav belt, but since there is no a-grav belt in the game, it's the next-best thing. There is also a small a-grav platform in one of the books (I don't recall which book offhand), but that would be ship's equipment, not personal.

I see from your sheet that you decided to keep Skulduggery as a career skill. Frankly, given the character's backstory (Captain of a family ship, prior to the Clone Wars), it makes more sense for him to have Piloting:Space as a ranked skill. I'd also swap out Education for Athletics. All of the basic skills for the Engineer career are very useful. But you'll find Athletics to be by far the most useful of the skills he has no ranks in currently. Much more so than having a rank in Education, or even Vigilance.

PS - Please don't feel obligated to implement any of my suggestions. It's your character, not mine. I just have a hard time not giving advice. :P
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby obidancer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:23 pm

Darn, I loved the Gravity Belt back from WEG Fantastic Technology book!
So with quite a lot of money left, I went with 'why not buy a personal blaster'. Picked a light model with a Mod, mostly in case of Mynocks or what else...
For Gear went for Modular Backpack and a conceal holster for the light blaster.

Vigilance was a Typo, Orav has the Skill has Career Skill, but no rank in it. I follow your advice for Piloting instead of Skulduggery and Athletics instead of Education.
obidancer
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:16 am

Encumbrance is incorrect for your current gear list. Skills list does not match changes I suggested that you said you agreed to. When you've updated post #1 and your XML, please let me know.

Yes, the WEG belt was nice. But it seems that FFG has decided not to carry over that particular item. My guess is that since we never see anything like it in any of the new canon (Rebels or novels), they don't wish to introduce new tech that has no canon foundation.

Back in the good old days of WEG, everything that WEG invented out of thin air was 'blessed' (made canon) by LucasArts as there was very very little other Star Wars-related material being written (just a few novels by A.D. Foster and Tim Zahn, all of which also became canon and had WEG write up stats for).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby obidancer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 am

I've added the link to the XML, Skulduggery went to Pilot (Space) and Education went to Athletics. Encumbrance 7/7 (Not carrying everything all the time). Credits left 505, if ok with the light pistol.
obidancer
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 am

In Oggdude's generator, you didn't click the checkbox for 'equip' on several of the items on your gear list. When you do, you'll see that the correct ENC is 7/12. 7/7 is the ENC without the backpack. I know you don't usually carry the pack, but the ENC value on the sheet should list the value with the pack.

Tokan's share of the recent loot is 612,043 credits. Character is approved.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Return to Character Review