Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Operation Source

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Re: Operation Source

Postby swrider » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:26 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
On the subject of talent-ranting (and I agree with you 100%), then you're really going to be annoyed when I tell you that I picked up Force Sensitive Exile (on Rath) solely because the game's RAW requires it. If you pick up a FaD spec as a secondary spec you don't get a Force Rating (because the FR comes from the base career, not the specs). The only way to get FR1 is to either start with a FaD career (which I could not justify), or waste a huge amount of XP to pick up the next-to-useless FSE spec. In Rath's case, that one rule has cost him 40xp (30 for the FSE spec and 10 more for pushing the Healer spec to third place).

Please bring stupidities like this to me when you notice them. This is unacceptable and something that is easy to change with a house rule. Picking up any F&D talent tree grants a force rating of 1 if the character does not already have a force rating.

Take a few moments to redo Rath without the stupidity.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: May 24-25th
Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:39 pm

Wow. Cool. Thanks! It's going to take more than a "few moments", as I can't just removed the FSE in Oggdude's. I have to rebuild the character in that app from scratch. Well, the non-gear parts, anyway. 40 more XP is going to make a huge difference. How much I'm excited to find out.

I thought you were aware of the rules for creating FS characters. Especially when you gave me an extra 10xp to build him with because you don't like how FFG handles starting FUs. I shouldn't have assumed what you do and don't know. Sorry. As "punishment" for my sins, I didn't get to use whatever it is I'm going to be adding in the previous mission. Such as having Move developed enough to toss people around. Probably for the best, anyway. In hindsight, tossing Demarcus into Grelai would have had unfortunate long-term consequences.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Outside of this forum, i have not played star-wars in quite a while. I have also never played with the F&D rules. So while I have the gist of the system down I don't have it as well memorized as I do D&D 3.5 or D&D 5.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:34 pm

In case you missed it, I've finished the (v3.0) rebuild of Rath.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Oh, and something else that I keep forgetting to remind you of. Rath is subject to Conflict as a Force user, and the mechanics for his Morality going up (or down) applies. When you have some spare time, before you move forward with the narrative, please read (or reread) the Morality rules and then think back over the just-completed mission and adjudicate Conflict. Then I'll need to make a check to see if Rath's Morality changes. Becoming a Light Side Paragon has benefits. :P
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:29 pm

G2, with Rico's assistance, works on crafting a custom rifle...
Spoiler:
Mechanics check: 3eP+2eA+3eB+2eD 4 successes, 4 advantage, 1 Triumph
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
16 hours pass. Next check is -1eD and +3eB.

Mechanics check: 3eP+2eA+6eB+1eD 3 successes, 13 advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Another 16 hours pass (32 total). Next check is -1eD and +11eB.

Mechanics check: 3eP+2eA+14eB+1eD 4 successes, 17 advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
16 more hours pass (48 total).
4 advantages: autofire
4 advantages: accurate
3 advantages: pierce
2 advantages: stun setting
2 advantages: customizable
2 advantage: lightweight x2
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:49 pm

swrider wrote:"Vrei and I have been assigned to transport a team to Nubia to collect the doctor's family. He has provided everything he knows to the guards and it is available for review. Colonel Taske will be looking for a team to perform the extraction, if you are interested you should let her know."

I corrected your post where you wrote "Rath" instead of "Rico". Not the first time (nor likely the last).

Still waiting for your decision on what our trade-in for the Lambda will be. It matters now, as it can affect Rico's reply.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Oh, and something else that I keep forgetting to remind you of. Rath is subject to Conflict as a Force user, and the mechanics for his Morality going up (or down) applies. When you have some spare time, before you move forward with the narrative, please read (or reread) the Morality rules and then think back over the just-completed mission and adjudicate Conflict. Then I'll need to make a check to see if Rath's Morality changes. Becoming a Light Side Paragon has benefits. :P

*bump*
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:40 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
swrider wrote:"Vrei and I have been assigned to transport a team to Nubia to collect the doctor's family. He has provided everything he knows to the guards and it is available for review. Colonel Taske will be looking for a team to perform the extraction, if you are interested you should let her know."

I corrected your post where you wrote "Rath" instead of "Rico". Not the first time (nor likely the last).

Still waiting for your decision on what our trade-in for the Lambda will be. It matters now, as it can affect Rico's reply.

After putting some thought into this, I am going to give you your choice for this mission. Additionally you have your choice for a permanent vessel from your list, but it will not be available until after your next mission unless it is the same as you request to use for this mission.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:46 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
ShadoWarrior wrote:

*bump*

Honestly, I am headed out to Baltimore (for work) for the next two weeks and will be busy most every day until the evenings. which will limit my available game time (I have added a schedule tracker for myself to my signature identifying days ill be out and about.). I don't have access to the book at work and wont be able to get on much this weekend since I am going out of town. I will review the rules when i get the chance, but that will probably be after we start the next mission. So for now if you would present what you feel he has earned in terms of morality with a quick why, it would really help.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:47 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
  • Imperial Customs Frigate
  • GAT-12g Blastboat (not the 12h in the FFG book, swaps tractor beam for concussion missile)
  • YKL-37R Nova Courier
  • CEC HWK-1000 (has insane rarity, so I'm not holding my breath)
  • YT-2400
I don't expect either of the first two, Imperial, ships. But if I don't ask I can't even try, can I? :P
The Nova Courier is well armed, which is why I put it above the YT-2400 on the list, even though a YT has better armor. I have deckplans for this, too.
The HWK-1000 is unarmed stock, but as fast as a TIE/LN.
The YT-2400 (or YT-2000 or YT-1300) is always the fallback choice for any group if nothing else is available.

swrider wrote:After putting some thought into this, I am going to give you your choice for this mission. Additionally you have your choice for a permanent vessel from your list, but it will not be available until after your next mission unless it is the same as you request to use for this mission.

Given that the top two choices are Imp vessels, and probably hard for the Rebels to get a hold of, I seriously doubt either of them would be available now. Also, they're not exactly subtle. Same reason why it might not be a good idea to use the Lambda we already have to go to Nubia on. We'd have to explain who we are and what our business is. And we'd have to dress and act like Imps if we use any sort of Imp vessel. So that's why I struck them out.

The HWK-1000 is uber-rare, so that pretty much leaves the YKL-37R Nova Courier (FC:56) as the choice.

As for upgrades, any chance to get the single medium lasers replaced by twin mounts? I won't ask for proton launchers to replace the concussion missiles, as the Alliance is probably short of those, and proton torps themselves, given the need of them on fighters.

For attachments, I'd like:
  • Hyperdrive (Class One), with mod for Class 0.75
  • Ion drive (changes speed 3 to speed 4)
  • Targeting Array (with True Aim mod and Sniper Shot mod)
  • ECM suite
  • Smuggling compartments
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:23 am

They will provide you with the requested upgrades but they will not have time to install them before you leave. You can have the exchanged weapons and smuggling compartments immediately, but the others will need to be installed after you get back. unless you wish to delay your departure as the Bantha has been assigned to go and you could use that ship or another non modified vessel.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 am

swrider wrote:I don't have access to the book at work and wont be able to get on much this weekend since I am going out of town. I will review the rules when i get the chance, but that will probably be after we start the next mission. So for now if you would present what you feel he has earned in terms of morality with a quick why, it would really help.

Sure. First, I just noticed that I never did select a Morality strength and weakness for Rath, having built him using Duty. His strength will be Compassion and his weakness will be Hatred.

A PC with Morality can earn Conflict, by using Dark Side results on Force power checks, or failing Fear checks in certain ways, or doing certain things narratively (such as doing evil). Triggered Morality works by the GM rolling 1d100 and selecting the PC whose Morality score is closest to the rolled number. (I suppose if all four PCs have the exact same Morality, which they do — 50, the GM just randomly picks a PC.) "If the GM and the player agree that the player’s character made at least one important decision or based an important action on the character’s emotional strengths or weaknesses, then the character successfully engaged his triggered Morality. If he did not, then nothing happens. Note that the player can engage his character’s triggered Morality via his character’s emotional strength or his emotional weakness, and the mechanical result is the same." This means that a player can force triggered Morality by narrative actions.

The reward for triggered Morality is that when the check is made for increasing or decreasing Morality the result is doubled.

The Morality check at the end of a session works by rolling a d10 and subtracting the amount of accrued Conflict. Negative results decrease one's Morality and positive results increase it.

From FaD: "Challenging the PCs’ moral choices is central to Force and Destiny. Sometimes, the consequences of a choice are very clear to the character. However, adventures should include at least one situation where the PCs’ goal can be achieved more easily with less than noble actions. In other words, the GM offers an easier option that reduces the PCs’ danger, effort, or increases wealth but ultimately hurts another character, ship, group, or other entity as a consequence."

Having said all of the above, Rath didn't actually do anything to trigger his Morality. His emotional strength is Compassion, not Mercy. If it were Mercy, he showed plenty of it. But, other than to heal his wounded companions, he didn't do anything compassionate, and (more importantly), he didn't go out of his way to do so, nor take any risk to do so. So I don't feel that triggered Morality was warranted at any point. And it's too late to retcon any if you retroactively roll that he was the PC that had Morality triggered (it should be random, else his Morality will always trigger as he's the only PC with a Morality that matters, unless you want to track Morality for the non-FS types as well). And I don't recall there having been any circumstances during the mission where he would earn Conflict. Standing by while another PC threatens someone verbally isn't Conflict-worthy. (Though doing nothing while another PC resorts to torture would be Conflicting.) Several things that Tasha did would have earned Conflict had they been done by Rath. But Rath gets a pass because his hands are clean (according to Table 9-2 in F-CRB 324). Thus I think that the Conflict accrued for the session is/was zero.

Rath's Morality increases to 55 (per RAW, assuming that you concur).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:53 am

swrider wrote:They will provide you with the requested upgrades but they will not have time to install them before you leave. You can have the exchanged weapons and smuggling compartments immediately, but the others will need to be installed after you get back. unless you wish to delay your departure as the Bantha has been assigned to go and you could use that ship or another non modified vessel.

No delay, we'll depart "on schedule". Even a stock Nova Courier is a vast improvement over a stock G9, and doubling the lasers is nice enough. The only truly important alteration is the smuggling compartments. They would have been vital had we been going to Coruscant, but may still be useful going to Nubia.

I do have one question (when don't I?): would waiting for the hyperdrive upgrade to be completed and then making the trip in half the time be better than leaving now? This is one of those annoying things where simple narrative "speed of plot" smacks headlong into game mechanical crunch (pun intended).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 am

The problem is that I do not remember what planet sector HQ is on to figure out the travel time. I would have to check my notes as I do not believe you passed the check to know which planet or even system it was in.

I am going to go ahead and say that they simply don't have time to fast track the installation because of the repairs to the star-fighters you brought in as well as other operational requirements (Your new ship as at the fleet headquarters where the rest of the team is).

I am fine with your morality improvement and will attempt to factor in some interesting choices for him. As for his morality triggering, since I don't want to track it for the others, I am thinking of just making a 1d4 roll. On a roll of 4 his morality is triggered. (unless you object)

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 am

I've no objections to any of it. All makes sense narratively, and creative narrative can do almost anything a GM wants to happen. Good job. And I/we did fail the check you had me make when first going to HQ.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:38 am

http://orokos.com/roll/506354: 1d4 4

The force is with him this trip.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:52 am

That means that you'll have to set up at least one situation that will require him to make tough choices.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:54 am

It shouldn't be that hard.... famous last words

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am

Just keep in mind his particular strength and weakness. It's real easy to confuse Mercy with Compassion (FCRB :50). Compassion requires situations where someone is suffering some sort of tribulation.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:52 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:Just keep in mind his particular strength and weakness. It's real easy to confuse Mercy with Compassion (FCRB :50). Compassion requires situations where someone is suffering some sort of tribulation.

Hum how to make people suffer tribulation on a rescue mission? I think that roll helped me figure how how this is going to go.

The factions involved are going to be;
the local garrison of storm troopers (no specific name you can target them if you want),
The local police,
The company he used to work for's security forces,
A mercenary group ( I need to look in my notes to find the name when I get home). This last group you know about through the alliance research, they have learned that a bounty has been placed for the abduction of the scientists family by an anonymous non-imperial faction.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 pm

Tasha cannot target the local Imp garrison, nor the local police, with Bad Press before arriving there. Assuming that I wished to. Targeting the company Demarcus used to work for is a possibility. Targeting the mercs is also possible, and probably the choice that Tasha would make. She'd craft propaganda to make the mercs look bad (untrustworthy, disloyal to the Empire, et cetera) and have it sent, anonymously, to the local police and the Imperials. Can I get a boost die from using the Alliance intel to come up with some actual dirt about the mercs to use against them? Malicious lies are the most damaging when there's a kernel of truth buried within.

PS - so much for Rico (or Rob or Rath) developing a romantic relationship with Vrei. And if Vrei was remotely interested in Tasha I'd've seen it by now.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes to the boost die.
ShadoWarrior wrote:
PS - so much for Rico (or Rob or Rath) developing a romantic relationship with Vrei. And if Vrei was remotely interested in Tasha I'd've seen it by now.

You might be assuming too much, but you never know. Besides there are a few female NPCs if that is something you would like to potentially include.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:35 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:Can I get a boost die from using the Alliance intel to come up with some actual dirt about the mercs to use against them? Malicious lies are the most damaging when there's a kernel of truth buried within.

*bump*
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:45 pm

swrider wrote:Yes to the boost die.

BumB

Rider's Guild
swrider