Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Operation Source

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Re: Operation Source

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm fine with Rico going in person and the rest teleconferencing. I just want all of the characters to be able to hear "first-hand" and offer suggestions. That way more than one viewpoint can be expressed. Well, insofar as there's only one player expressing those multiple views. I really like your method of handling security.

BTW, I replaced the missile 8-packs with the less powerful, smaller mini-missile 10-packs. I just can't see how you'd reasonably fit starfighter-scale weapons (standard concussion missiles) on to a speeder bike no matter what the RAW allows. A single normal missile is at least the size of someone's leg. A landspeeder is also silhouette-2, but has more bulk to mount a large weapon on. A bike is barely S-2, and mostly just because of its length.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Is there anything you want to do at sector headquarters before the briefing? Also do you pass on Dr Demarcus' request for an audience?
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 5 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: April 17-28, May 15-18
swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Passing the doctor's request is something that Rico would do in the debriefing, not before. It's part of the report.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:23 am

Rico's check (you didn't specify who was to make the check, BTW)...
Vigilance check: 2eA+2eD 4 failures, 3 advantage
ImageImageImageImage

About as bad a result as it's possible to get on that many dice.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:26 am

That is ok. It was to notice a subtlety which would add depth to the characters. With your advantage you notice that Vrei was a little flushed in the face when she enters with the Colonel, she seems embarrassed by something.

swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:27 am

Completely random side rant. Have you ever purchased something from amazon because it was the best match for what you wanted only to see what you actually wanted appear a few days latter from the same seller? ugh!

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:38 am

Actually, no, because I've only ever bought exactly what I wanted. My saying that, of course, does absolutely nothing to make you feel better. Only worse. Sorry. And given that Amazon is now charging state sales tax, even if I had money to spend I would be severely cutting back on buying from them. There's no point to paying shipping on top of tax. I'd be buying from some other online vendor.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:51 am

Actually that doesn't make me feel bad. The item in question is pretty much custom and I loved all aspects of it but one minor detail. Just so happens they got another version with the changes I would prefer. It is not a huge deal just mildly annoying. I rarely have money to spend myself so it was a rare treat to be able to make this purchase.

swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:58 am

One minor correction. Dr. Demarcus was the head researcher in his lab. The two scientists were both head researches but on different projects. Dr Grelai was on the star-fighter project.

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks. But Rath doesn't know that. He's going by what he 'read', which is obviously incomplete/misleading.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:04 am

NP I will continue the briefing in a bit but didn't want to go too far in case you wanted to interject.

swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:40 am

It will realistically take a few minutes to fetch the prisoner so please fell free to continue the conversation. Just let me know when you are ready for him to arrive.

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 pm

That mission really does not play to our skills and talents. Ready to move forward to the doctor.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:38 pm

I should specify that this is another one of those pauses to allow you to have input.

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:45 pm

None of the PCs have any questions, as none of them have a personal stake in this "interview". And any personal thoughts that they may have about the doctor or what he's requesting are not appropriate to voice at this time.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:19 pm

The last part was put in to give you options for other types of missions. Just let me know the type of mission you wish to pursue and i can provide base intelligence to get you off on a start.

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:38 pm

Did you ever get around to looking at the talents in the Propagandist tree that Tasha has? It very much has a bearing on "types of missions". There's no point to having a psyops expert on missions without any social aspects. Ditto for missions in which a Jedi-wannabe can't ever use his abilities because the risk of exposure is too great (such as on Coruscant, aka Imperial Center). Rico as a tech and Rob as a 'thief' will almost always be useful, but the missions also need to involve Tasha and Rath as more than just trigger-pullers.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Yes I did. There are going to be a lot of different type of missions. Where each person will be useful. Tracking down the leak would make great use of Tasha's abilities as well as Rath's reading minds. Going to Corosant may not be ideal, but Tasha's abilities may still be of use there. These are both feeder missions which can lead to more tasks but the group does not have to accept them. That is why your group leader has been given the authority to choose their missions most of the time. I did agree to let Tasha's skills add a boost die if no setbacks need to be removed. That would have come in handy last mission and will probably come in handy on most missions.

I had originally planed to keep the mission chains to my self but would you like to see the break down of the missions that each mission leads to? Remember you are always welcome to suggest your own as well.

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:14 am

No, I don't need to see the mission chains. It's already hard enough to refrain from acting on OCC/metagame info.

Oh, and at the risk of annoying you by reminding you of the repeated changes, Rath is no longer is able to read minds, not that he had much chance of doing so with a Force rating of 1 before I removed the upgrade. Rath is down to just sensing emotions. Which can still be handy in certain circumstances, but not nearly as much as being able to read thoughts would be. Rath needs quite a few XP before he can get FR2 and then go for the Sense upgrade. An he's likely to grab at least one Move upgrade before he gets a Sense upgrade. The basic Move is only on Silhouette-0 objects. I need an upgrade before I can toss stormtroopers. :P
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Thank you. I have a tendency to remember what has been used in game play more than character sheets.

Please let me know if you want to make an IC post, if you want to jump to the next meeting, have mission ideas of your own. Or would like additional mission options (these will be stand alone missions not related to what the group has already accomplished, thus far).

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:35 pm

swrider wrote:Please let me know if you want to make an IC post, if you want to jump to the next meeting, have mission ideas of your own. Or would like additional mission options (these will be stand alone missions not related to what the group has already accomplished, thus far).

swrider wrote:Tracking down the leak would make great use of Tasha's abilities as well as Rath's reading minds.

While it may be useful for Tasha's In The Know talent, probably not so much for Bad Press. In fact, I haven't seen any mission suggested, yet, where Bad Press would be useful, unless you're willing to apply it to all Imperial military or all Imperial bureaucrats or anyone working on behalf of the New Order. But asides from that particular character, that mission just didn't appeal to me as a player. It sounds a little boring. Which isn't fair, I know. IC, it's just not the sort of thing this team is best at.

Hostage rescue is right down this team's alley. Problem is that you put the doctor's family on Coruscant, which is pretty much the worst place for Rath to go to in the entire galaxy (given that Palpatine is there and old melted-wax face is very likely to sense him), and none too joyful for the other three. Rico himself, while not saying anything IC (yet) about going there, has his own worries. He could be recognized. He's an Imperial defector, and a rather well-known one at that. Not quite as much as Galen Erso, but he was a key researcher at an important Imperial facility. I think you, as GM, forgot that part of his backstory, just as I keep forgetting about Rob's cat. I wish you'd stuck the family on some other planet, but I suspect that you had your reasons for picking Imperial Center (BTW, you keep misspelling Coruscant).

I'd hate to ruin your planned story arc, which is why I haven't jumped on the opportunity to ask about non-arc missions. And even it you don't consider it to be a problem, doing a non-arc mission takes time and the story arc missions strike me as being time-sensitive, especially the doctor's. And speaking of time-sensitivity, unless I completely blow off the story arc missions, spending time doing what Rico wants to do during 'downtime' is in direct conflict with needing to do the story arc missions.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Great discussion. A few things. Just because your team does not accept a mission does not mean the mission won't be completed. They may be completed by another team with varying results and that has been my intention all along. I would be happy to chose another imperial planet as The doctors background as an important researcher in the Empire requires it be an imperial planet. Coruscant was merely my choice at the time but I would be happy to retcon The location. Please make a suggestion as you know the lore better than I.

As far as time for your downtime activities. That is probably going to be an ongoing issue for Rico as the team leader. Most of his downtime will be during transport to and from missions with small breaks in between. He can chose to have a longer stand down by not accepting missions or requesting one.

Bad Press wont affect the entire empire but it could affect a local garrison. More importantly though there are other factions involved with the family as they are not truly hostages... yet. Most of your missions will be directly aimed at the empire however and this talent may prove less useful than you had imagined. You still have the opportunity for a rebuild of the character or to present a home-brew use for the talent.

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:33 pm

There's just two wee problems. First is that Bad Press is a 15-point talent, midway through the tree, and thus needs to be useful in the game. Second, and more importantly, the talent is on the critical path to getting Positive Spin 3 (which she's 25xp from) and Dedication (the next talent she picks up after PS3). I can't rebuild the character.

Now here's the thing. The RAW says: "the player must explain how the PC disseminated the propaganda such that it has affected his targets. The chosen organization must be narrow and cohesive enough to be affected by bad publicity—for example, the Imperial Navy". The trick is that I need to know in advance what the 'faction' my characters are going to face is so that I can tell you what/how I'm going to try to affect them. I can't use the talent against Imperial Stormtroopers if I don't know if there are any at the target location, for instance. The talent also requires some prep, which takes time. If we were going to go to Tatooine or Coruscant, then before facing any Imps there I'd have to try to put up posters at cantinas and other public hangouts, or have Rico slice into the local computer system(s), to insert messages.

As for an alternate planet, the Empire controls thousands upon thousands of worlds. It can be almost any world with at least a moderate population level no less than a few million, of which some chunk must be humans, and a reasonable tech base. A backwater like Tatooine isn't likely, but there are plenty of choices. Look at Nubia, in the Corellian Sector (Suns of Fortune). It could be Corellia itself, or some other major world in the Core or Expansion Region or Inner Rim. Hell, it could even be Raxus Prime (Beyond the Rim).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Knowledge of what factions are going to be involved in a given mission can be obtained through intelligence. Either your own gathering or a request for alliance intelligence (GM). It may not always be accurate but it is available to the characters though in game means. Worst case scenario a knowledge check to make an educated guess, but that should be an exception rather than a rule. In the current example Dr Demarcus is providing the details to his guards. He will likely have information on their whereabouts and any factions which may be interested in them. On the last mission there was not much available, mainly because you were the force sent to gather the information.

I will change the planet to Nubia.

Side rant... I personally feel that many of the talents in FFG's Starwars are a waste and are only worth taking to get to talents further down the tree. I rarely take talents for my characters favoring instead to increase skills. It sucks that dedication can only be reached through a talent tree as is the case with force rating.

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:18 pm

On the subject of talent-ranting (and I agree with you 100%), then you're really going to be annoyed when I tell you that I picked up Force Sensitive Exile (on Rath) solely because the game's RAW requires it. If you pick up a FaD spec as a secondary spec you don't get a Force Rating (because the FR comes from the base career, not the specs). The only way to get FR1 is to either start with a FaD career (which I could not justify), or waste a huge amount of XP to pick up the next-to-useless FSE spec. In Rath's case, that one rule has cost him 40xp (30 for the FSE spec and 10 more for pushing the Healer spec to third place).

Thanks for both changing the planet and your comments regarding gathering intel. Looks like fetching folks is next up on the plate.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context