Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Jaico Wolfe (After the Fall)

Initial Character concepts can be posted here prior to a new game's sub-forum being created.

Moderator: GameMasters

Jaico Wolfe (After the Fall)

Postby threebodyproblem » Mon May 15, 2017 11:17 pm

After the Fall

Jaico Wolfe

Species: Human Gender: Male Age: 32 Homeworld: Corellia
Career: Ace Specializations: Pilot
Obligation: 20 (Family)
Earned XP: 50
Available XP: 5
Motivation: Relationship (Sibling) Morality: 50 (Pride/Arrogance)

Characteristics

Brawn: 2 Agility: 4 Intellect: 3 Cunning: 2 Willpower: 2 Presence: 2

Derived Attributes

Defense: 0G/0M/0R Soak: 4 Wounds: 0/12 Strain: 0/12 Encumbrance: 11/13

General Skills
Astrogation 3 -2[SBD]
Piloting (Planetary) 1 -2[SBD]
Piloting (Space) 3 -2[SBD]
Ranged (Light) 2

Pilot Talents

Full Throttle (Standard, Improved)
Galaxy Mapper (2 ranks)
Skilled Jockey (2 ranks)
Let's Ride

Equipment (Encumbrance 11/13)

Credits: 915
Gear:Load-Bearing Gear (equipped), Utility Belt (equipped), Surveyor's Bag (equipped), Rocket Boots, Extra Reload, Field Rations x5, Stimpacks x5, Glowrod, Space Suit (on YT-2400)
Armor: Riot Armor (Integrated Ascension Gear)
Weapons: Renegade Heavy Blaster (Custom Grip, Paired, Electronic Sighting System), Renegade Heavy Blaster (Paired, Blaster Actuating Module), SVT-300 Stun Cloak (equipped)

Backstory

On Corellia, blood runs thicker than water - you can ask just about anyone, and they'll tell you it's true. Sometimes, that's a blessing; just as often, it's a curse.

Jaico Wolfe was the younger of two sons born to a distinguished family on Corellia. Though four years younger than his brother Veyrin, Jaico was always considered to be more mature and responsible. Despite a keen intellect and razor-sharp wit, Veyrin preferred to spend his time skirting the law and indulging in physical delights (which often lead to him being on the wrong side of the law or getting entangled in various underworld dealings). Jaico, on the other hand, dutifully trained to become a skilled pilot; to nobody's surprise, he enlisted with the CDF as a starfighter jockey as soon as the chance arose.

Despite their dissimilarities, Jaico and Veyrin remained as thick as thieves - though it didn't hurt that Veyrin kept his more unsavory activities hidden from his brother. As time went on, Veyrin became more entrenched with the seedy underbelly of the galaxy (unbeknownst to his sibling), while Jaico rose through the ranks of the CDF.

When the Clone Wars erupted, Corellia initially pursued an isolationist policy. This changed when the CIS showed up on Corellia's doorstep with the crushing defeat of the Republic at the Battle of Duro. With the war so close to home, Corellia began to field some of its fighter squadrons in limited engagements - Jaico's was one of them. During his one year-long sortie, Jaico was not allowed to communicate with his family for fear of the CIS learning of the squadron's movements.

With the collapse of the Republic, however, Corellia once more isolated itself from the galaxy at large. Jaico returned to a home he found he no longer knew - economic devastation had hit the streets of Coronet City due to the loss of Duro as an effective trading partner. Worse yet, his brother had disappeared without a trace - nobody had seen or heard from him in over six months.

That is, until Jaico received a cryptic message, relayed by an odd-looking medical droid. Someone claiming to be Veyrin asked Jaico - in utmost secrecy - to meet with Ziro the Hutt, and to accompany the medical droid.

Although bewildered, Jaico's sense of loyalty to his brother overrode every fiber in his being telling him to say no, and so he and M3-D1-C set off.

Jaico doesn't remember much of his meeting with Ziro, as he had never before imagined that Veyrin would keep the company of a crime lord. When all was said and done, Jaico found himself agreeing to run contraband for Ziro's criminal empire, aboard a YT-2400 freighter he'd re-christened as The Bloodstripe.

Personality:

As a result of his time in the CDF, Jaico is cool, calm, and collected. His confidence and sense of self stems from his previous experiences flying in the Clone Wars, and he knows the limits of his skills. While some may see Jaico as being distant and rigid, he prefers to think of himself as disciplined.

While his personality was well-suited to a life in the CDF, Jaico is finding it difficult to deal with the double-speak and subtleties necessary to be a smuggler. Jaico's predilection for straight talk and no-nonsense approach has caused a few rough patches with potential customers (though as he reminds Zirro's enforcers, he hasn't been boarded...yet).

Appearance:

Before you stands an athletic man with neatly trimmed hair. He stands straight - perhaps a bit too straight - and you recognize the stance of someone who's previously seen military service. Despite the fact that his angular features and day-old stubble give him a hard, dangerous look, his eyes betray a softness (which you can tell he's trying to hide).

Looking at his gear, you notice two holsters carrying heavy blaster pistols - one of them clearly modified with a custom grip. He wears a laminate breast plate, and has a poncho draped across his shoulders. His bandolier is packed with supplies, and a fetching leather bag hangs jauntily by his side.

OK, so just a few notes:

1. I left the meeting with Ziro vague (if it happens at all), as I wasn't sure if it would conflict with the Plots in any way, shape or form.
2. For Darzil's character - I am totally open to other ways to incorporate you into the story! Honestly I put it in there as an idea but am not wedded to it at all (and of course pending what ShadoWarrior thinks, as well).
3. I have made an OggDude file, available for 7 days. Let me know if you need me to change anything!

(ps thanks to Chronicler, whose format I used for this post)
Last edited by threebodyproblem on Fri May 19, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 15 times in total.
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Re: Jaico Wolfe

Postby Mattimeo84 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:45 am

A questions if I may. Why are you taking a three in cunning? I maxed out both specialization tress and nothing relies on cunning. Only one career skill uses it as well.

My two cents, perhaps bump intelligence to a 3 instead. You have three career skills that use intelligence and when fully upgraded, you are able to remove two setbacks from astrogation.

Otherwise, what I saw looks good. I'll leave back story to Shado.
Mattimeo84
Level 1

Postby threebodyproblem » Tue May 16, 2017 7:11 am

Mainly for the full throttle ability, but you have a good point. At work now, but will consider changing (pending what everyone else thinks as well).
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Postby Mattimeo84 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:13 am

Ohhh, I only read full throttle improved. That makes sense
Mattimeo84
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 am

Damn, I thought I'd hit "submit" on this hours ago...

I haven't reviewed the character, yet, but I concur with Matt regarding Cunning and Intellect.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Jaico Wolfe (After the Fall)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue May 16, 2017 11:41 am

Notes on gear:
  • You should add a utility belt, and give strong consideration to a surveyor's bag and backpack of some sort. (They all stack.)
  • You need a comlink, and a datapad.
  • You should have a breath mask.
  • In Oggdude's app, you need to add (not buy) the paired attachment for the second pistol. Then you need to click the Two-Weapon Sets button and add the first pistol.
  • You need to check "equipped" on the first pistol (which should now have the paired icon to the left of it) and the cloak. And make sure that "show" is checked for each weapon you have.
  • You don't own an environment suit of any sort. For a vacuum-jockey that's odd.

You picked Corellian Human as a species. This is a poor choice for a character that has 50 earned XP. It's only a valid choice if you're starting at zero and want 3 ranks of piloting. Since you're not at zero XP the rank 2 restriction is not in effect. You'd be better off with a standard human as you'd get a rank in a second skill.

BTW, Oggdude's app locks out career skills from the list of Human species choices, forcing you to pick something else (and thus preventing you from getting 3 ranks). So you need to select your species, then pick a career that does NOT have the skills you want as species skills (say, Soldier), pick those skills in the species tab, then go back and pick the career you really want.

I'd also strongly advise Gunnery 2 (or better yet, 3, which you can get if you pick Gunnery & Space as your two human skills) instead of Planetary 2. Be awesome as a pilot and with your ship's weapons.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby threebodyproblem » Tue May 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Great! Thanks for reviewing the application.

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Notes on gear:
  • You should add a utility belt, and give strong consideration to a surveyor's bag and backpack of some sort. (They all stack.)
  • You need a comlink, and a datapad.
  • You should have a breath mask.
  • In Oggdude's app, you need to add (not buy) the paired attachment for the second pistol. Then you need to click the Two-Weapon Sets button and add the first pistol.
  • You need to check "equipped" on the first pistol (which should now have the paired icon to the left of it) and the cloak. And make sure that "show" is checked for each weapon you have.
  • You don't own an environment suit of any sort. For a vacuum-jockey that's odd.

Duly noted. Have bought the suggested gear (Utility Belt, Surveyor's Bag, Comlink, Datapad, Breath Mask, Space Suit) and updated the Renegade blasters. Glad to hear the encumbrance-raising gear stacks - wasn't sure if it was too much cheese to wear all of those things at once.

ShadoWarrior wrote:
You picked Corellian Human as a species. This is a poor choice for a character that has 50 earned XP. It's only a valid choice if you're starting at zero and want 3 ranks of piloting. Since you're not at zero XP the rank 2 restriction is not in effect. You'd be better off with a standard human as you'd get a rank in a second skill.

For pure numbers, it's only 5XP behind and it allows Jaico to specialize. Two Rank 1 non-career skills provided by being a normal human is worth 20XP and wouldn't allow me to pick up Piloting (Space)/Gunnery/Ranged (Light), while the third rank of Piloting (Space) from being a Corellian is worth 15XP. Given that there's no guarantee that I'd really get too much use out of those non-career skills but I'm guaranteed to use the Piloting (Space) skill, I think the 5XP is worth the trade-off to ensure that Jaico starts off as an exceptional pilot. Plus - I liked the whole "Family Ties" thing that Corellia's got going for it. I am open to changing the starting species though, but would ideally like to keep it as is.

ShadoWarrior wrote:
I'd also strongly advise Gunnery 2 (or better yet, 3, which you can get if you pick Gunnery & Space as your two human skills) instead of Planetary 2. Be awesome as a pilot and with your ship's weapons.

Sounds good. I have changed one rank from Piloting (Planetary) -> Gunnery. As I've spent my XP on talents and 1 extra rank of Ranged (Light), I don't think I'll be able to get Gunnery 3.

I will update my initial post now.
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue May 16, 2017 8:10 pm

I don't think that you understood what I tried to say about human vs. corellian human. The character creation process has species picked before you pick career. So ALL skills are available as human skills. This is why you must pick a temporary career in Oggdude's to get what you want. Why? Because when you click 'New Character' in the app the app automatically picks smuggler/pilot. This messes up your list of available human skills in the app because the app locks out career skills from showing in the human species skills. So to get around it you have to "cheat" (not really, since the FFG RAW allows it) and pick some temp career like Soldier/Commando that lacks piloting and gunnery. Then go to species and pick your two skills (space and gunnery), and then go back to career and now select Ace/Pilot. Doing so retains your previously selected human skills. Check off space and gunnery twice and you now have 3 ranks in each. Not legal for a zero XP character, but it's okay for my game since your PC is not a starting character.

Clear now?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby threebodyproblem » Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
(...)The character creation process has species picked before you pick career. So ALL skills are available as human skills. (...)

Got it. This is where my error was; I'd thought that the Human bonus was applied after gaining Career skills from Step 4/5 - in that case, you're right in that Corellian Human would be suboptimal. Will update!
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed May 17, 2017 7:21 am

I checked the math on the rebuild and everything's kosher.

I have comments on taking Dead to Rights (Standard & Improved). This is a very nice talent(s) for trying to punch through armor and/or kill an enemy (for you, that's +4 damage ... when you spend a DP). That's the good news. The bad news is that you don't control any weapons directly as a pilot on a YT-2400, unless you have spent money and CHPs to remotely control the laser cannons. The YKL-37R Nova Courier does have pilot-operated missile launchers, but missiles tend to be lethal anyway due to Breach. Dead to Rights is mostly intended for PCs flying starfighters, not freighters.

Where am I going with this commentary? First off, assuming you have modified your ship (which you haven't, which is a separate issue that I'll discuss with you later) and can operate the guns from the cockpit, you still need to burn a DP to get any benefit from the talents. Second, you can't spend more than one DP per action. So if you spend a DP on your attack to get a better chance of getting a hit then you can't use a second DP on the talent to do more damage, as resolving the attack is still part of the same action. (At least that's how I think the rules work, but I'm not sure so I've asked for clarification on the FFG board.) Were I building the character I'd be inclined to put 20 of those 25 XP into getting the 4th row Grit so that you're that much close to getting Master Pilot and then Dedication (for Agl 5 or Int 4). Another thing to consider is spending XP on Galaxy Mapper, which is a very useful talent to have (you'll be using it a lot more than you have any idea, just take my word for it). Let's Ride is also handy if you have 5 XP that's burning a hole in your pocket and you don't know what to do with it (other than banking for future use). With 25 XP you could take 2 ranks in Galaxy Mapper, a rank of Let's Ride, and a rank in Astrogation (or Cool).

Just a suggestion.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby threebodyproblem » Wed May 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Given that Jaico will probably be tied up flying the YT2400 rather than manning the turret stations, would it make more sense to transfer those Gunnery skills to Astrogation, in addition to stacking the Galaxy Mapper talents?
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed May 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Using Astrogation instead of Gunnery as your Human skill is an option. And not a bad way to get a 3 in it. This allows you to let the Jedi and droid operate ship's weapons. You just focus on getting people to where they need to go. Jaico provides the skill and M3 provides expert assistant with his high Int ability pool.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby threebodyproblem » Wed May 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Excellent! Will update sheet and OggDude file later tonight when I get home.
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Postby Mattimeo84 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:Using Astrogation instead of Gunnery as your Human skill is an option. And not a bad way to get a 3 in it. This allows you to let the Jedi and droid operate ship's weapons. You just focus on getting people to where they need to go. Jaico provides the skill and M3 provides expert assistant with his high Int ability pool.

It's your character, but this makes a lot of sense to me.
Mattimeo84
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed May 17, 2017 5:01 pm

BTW, once Darzil finalizes the crunch on his droid, I'd strongly suggest that you get him to roll Mechanics checks to add mods to the attachments on your weapons. It's a very good use for your remaining cash.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby threebodyproblem » Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Yes, that had been the plan!

Also: have updated sheet to Astrogation 3, and to Grit to be one step closer to Master Pilot + Dedication...can't wait.
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 am

So no Galaxy Mapper talent(s)? That's a mistake with your revised build, especially since you have 5 XP unused.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby threebodyproblem » Thu May 18, 2017 9:25 am

Was planning on saving those 5XP to be closer to Master Pilot, given that if M3 assists the pool will be 2G3Y. I saw the houserule saying that in the absence of SBD then it would add a BD and it was tempting...but so is taking two actions a round in the cockpit.
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu May 18, 2017 9:31 am

You should worry less about exactly how soon you get Master Pilot and more about being able to compute a jump to lightspeed while under fire much more quickly.

"Those fighters are right on our tail, and these shields won't last much longer, haven't you finished those calcs yet?"

"I'm going as fast as I can..."

BLAM!
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby threebodyproblem » Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 am

Haha, alright - as the GM I figure you'll have a better idea of what's in store than I Will, so will revise when I get home tonight.
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu May 18, 2017 5:34 pm

BTW, "Ziro" only has one 'r'. Just think "zero" with an 'i' in place of the 'e'.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby threebodyproblem » Thu May 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Got it. Ended up spending 15XP on Galaxy Mapper (2 ranks), and another 5XP on Let's Ride. Banking 5XP for future use. Sheet + file updated. Spelling for Ziro corrected.
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri May 19, 2017 6:17 am

Character is approved. Please copy post #1 over to the game's database subforum.

You can edit in mods for your guns later, after I approve Darzil's PC (whenever that is, hopefully later this morning) and he makes rolls for you.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Darzil » Sat May 20, 2017 8:45 am

Given it looks like we're only tweaking background not mechanics on my PC, was asked in pm to assist with Mods :

M3-D1-C Helping with Modding attachments :

Overcharge Brain Implant - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518197#
Adding Accurate Mod to Electronic Sighting System - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518198# (100 Credits)

Overcharge Brain Implant - Success (with +1 sucess/advantage from mechanics workbench) - http://orokos.com/roll/518199#
Adding Accurate Mod to Custom Grip - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518200# (100 Credits)

Overcharge Brain Implant - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518201#
Adding +1 damage Mod to Blaster Actuating Module - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518202# (100 Credits)

Overcharge Brain Implant - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518203#
Adding +1 damage Mod to Blaster Actuating Module - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518204# (100 Credits)

Overcharge Brain Implant - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518205#
Adding +1 pierce Mod to Blaster Actuating Module - Success (with +1 sucess/advantage from mechanics workbench) - http://orokos.com/roll/518206# (100 Credits)

Overcharge Brain Implant - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518207#
Adding +1 pierce Mod to Blaster Actuating Module - Success - http://orokos.com/roll/518208# (100 Credits)

History - http://orokos.com/roll/m-M3-D1-C
Darzil
Level 1

Postby threebodyproblem » Sat May 20, 2017 8:48 am

Awesome, thanks! Will update sheet tonight when have access to my computer.
threebodyproblem
Level 1

Return to Character Review