Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Game and Character Creation

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: Quicksilver

Game and Character Creation

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:57 am

A new, freshly minted OOC thread for our game set-up needs.

The crew so far:
  • Title Comenzar Lunation – Company Leader and Voice of the Rogue Trader (Figure Head) - Swrider
  • Explorator Militant Criador – Techpriest and Master of Warmachines (Pending) - Carch
  • Seneschal name – Keeper of the Family Purse (Pending) - Potato
  • Title & Name – Small craft pilot, with some voidship experience. (Pending) - DarthSmeg
  • Title & Name - Explorer with a bit too much knowledge of technology (Explorer) - Grimgit

Vessel and other Assets
Name
Flagship of the Lunation Dynasty

Recent History
The eldest son of the Rogue Trader was killed on expedition by a mysterious xeno plague. His body was returned for incineration and proper services. His younger brother has been assigned to take the ship in his stead.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Re: Game and Character Creation

Postby Carch » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:01 pm

okay, I saw you made a start at custom classes as well, I'm not sure how far that's necessary? I don't have any of the books but perhaps the default classes will fit okay?
Carch
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:13 pm

First, there's no such thing as a "default" class (or class at all, unless you consider careers as "classes"). There are the careers and associated specializations listed in the 3 FFG SWRPG core rule books, and then there are the additional specializations (no new careers) listed in supplements. Most of the FFG Star Wars specializations, including those in the core books, have issues when applied unchanged to RT.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:23 pm

You can get an idea of what is in the classes by Googling AoR talent trees. There is a group which has put up reference sheets for each of the talent trees. They don't always include the base career but that is how I found the figurehead specialization. which looks like it will not need much tweaking to work (it may be one of the few).
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light,
Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 2 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 0
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 20

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Yeah, in total there are, what, about 20 careers with 3 or 6 specializations each? Of course, there is some duplication, but it's still a lot of options. And most of them apply to 40k, even if they're not set up or organized in the 'best' or 'fuffyist' way. For example, in Age of Rebellion slicer is the only think I see that doesn't work, and that’s really because of the nature of computers in 40k. The same applies to Edge of the Empire options. Force and Destiny is really the most "out there", simply because there is a lot less freedom and versatility among psychers then there is among Jedi.

Btw, the website your refereeing to is Begging for XP, who keep up-to-date talent trees for download.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Grimgit » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Put me down for the explorer class (of dubious morality) with a handful of Heratek on the side.
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Will do. If you drop a bit of background/description into the character review forum, I can build out a stat set for you.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Potato » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:09 pm

Explorer (Trader) with the addition of Commerce looks about right for my seneschal. Everything else seems in order, so I'm going to start getting everything together now.

..Honestly tempted to just give QS a description. Kind of busy last few days.
Potato
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:36 am

Quicksilver wrote:We currently have openings in:
Ship operations (Helmsmen and, depending on Swrider's build, the ship's actual commander)
Militant positions (Personal combat skills or boarding/ground combat command)
Actual Explorers (Archeologist, Scout, Outdoor experts)
Rogues (Thief, Racketeer)
(That's leaving off Psycker, Navigator, Minister and other Lore-heavy positions.)

• Of the three colored in red, which do we need the most?
  • Which do you think I'd enjoy playing the most, QS?
  • Is one of the above-mentioned Lore-heavy positions even more useful to the group (even though none of the folks familiar with WH40K chose them)?
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:45 am

The Navigator, while arguably the most critical person on the vessel, also happen to be fairly easy to NPC. The Astropath & Minister can be likewise shifted to the background rather simply. While the party loses access to some unique or uncommon abilities (like psychic powers) it's nothing that impairs the function of the game. Given the provided background and general direction, I think a rogue isn't going to be as important to mission function as the other options.

Of the remaining two, I think either tactical or commander-ish versions would suit you well (judging by AoR posts) and given that we're coming close to a set group here, you might even consider merging the two. One of the convenient things about Rogue Trader vessels is that the command structure can be whatever the RT wishes. (Indeed, they have a reputation for not following Navy rules). One thing to keep in mind is that you'll be on the ground as often as in space (at least in terms of play time), so you don't want to box the character into one environment.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:59 am

Okay, I'll take the naval & ground commander role. Military stuff suits me, anyway. (I'm playing the recently-released Hearts of Iron IV in another window.) I suppose the Arch Militant career is the appropriate choice.

Forge World
Brawn 2
Agility 2
Intellect 3
Cunning 2
Willpower 2
Presence 1
Wounds 10
Strain 10

Fit to Purpose: Gain a rank in all four specialization skills. (Instead of two, as normal)

It's too bad that the boosted attribute is Intellect rather than Agility, then this would be the perfect choice for my character. As it is, the extra ranks is probably better than picking Death World and having boosted Brawn. Very much depends on the specialization skills, which have not been listed (yet).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:26 am

You could also choose to take any career-specialization combo from AoR or EotE, but for Arch Militant, the trees & skills are all copy-paste of the following:
Sharpshooter = Sharpshooter from AoR Soldier
Marauder = Marauder from EotE Hired Gun
Commander = Mercenary Soldier from EotE Hired Gun (replacing Ranged (heavy) with Ranged (Personal).

Thankfully, those are the easy ones :)

Oh, that reminds me, I don't think I posted that starting xp for all backgrounds is 100 xp.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:46 am

Since I actually want heavy weapons and gunnery as additional career skills, that replacement may rule out Commander. I'll have to look at all 3 and see which best suits me.

That reminds me: how is healing handled in RT since there's no bacta? And do we have a medic? I would think that's sort of, you know, important...
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:08 pm

I thought I'd given Arch-Militant Ranged (heavy) *goes and looks again* oh, huh. In that case Commander should actually be Ranged (heavy) instead of a duplicate (personal).

The healing rules will still be used as normal, including stims and long-term healing. Just without the acceleration bonus for bacta. You do not have a PC medic/doctor, but you'll have access to NPC field medics and doctors.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Carch » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:43 am

Quicksilver wrote:I thought I'd given Arch-Militant Ranged (heavy) *goes and looks again* oh, huh. In that case Commander should actually be Ranged (heavy) instead of a duplicate (personal).

The healing rules will still be used as normal, including stims and long-term healing. Just without the acceleration bonus for bacta. You do not have a PC medic/doctor, but you'll have access to NPC field medics and doctors.

within the AoR careers that I've found on begging for xp I might go for the scientist version of engineer as a multiclass, would get us a medic of sorts. unfortunately the information there seems incomplete, as it doesn't give me the base skills and special ability for engineer, only the specializations.
Carch
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:12 am

Funny enough, I was also thinking Scientist as a potential for Grimgit's character, given the description he sent me.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Potato » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:58 pm

I got a WIP up at last. I did the crunch stuff first, as I want to make sure I get that right before I do fluff. There's.. a lot of things that need to be ironed out with QS in there, but shouldn't take too long.
Potato
Level 1

Postby Grimgit » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:56 pm

Got mine up too. Fluff only as I don't know the system well enough to do the crunch. It doesn't say WIP in the description but it is... xenologist is just too long a word and I couldn't fit the WIP into the title.
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:15 am

Profit system is up!

All head over to your characters now.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Carch » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:50 am

nicely done. looks good. we'll need to see about starting gear. I for one need to finish up the backstory and such. but otherwise I think we're getting set.

oh. of course we'll need a ship too.
Carch
Level 1

Postby Potato » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Probably gonna update the fluff tonight or tomorrow, properly finalise all the converted bits.
Potato
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Alright, basic items should be up in the next day or two. Following that will be building out the description/fluff part of the vessel. Upon reviewing my notes I realized my voidship stats section was less complete then I thought, but (spoiler alert) that won't matter for a little while. I'm aiming now to launch the IC in the latter half of next week.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby swrider » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:19 pm

I was thinking about a name for the ship.
how about the Usury's Reckoning it sounds intimidating and matches the theme of the dynasty we were going for.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light,
Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 2 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 0
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 20

Postby Grimgit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:43 pm

I like that as a ship name... either that or the Imminent Foreclosure.
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Carch » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:15 am

I've slightly ground to a halt creatively. really need to work more on the backstory but run into wall every time I try.
Carch
Level 1

Next

Return to Out of Context