Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum crashing?

Real life discussions. Marriages, children, puppies, complaining about your brother-in-law, whatever...

Forum crashing?

Postby swrider » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello everyone, over the past few days i've had a difficult time logging onto his forum from several computers and several different locations. I have also drafted a few posts which simply timed out and then could not be posted. Is anyone else having problems with the forum lately?

The problem seems to be resolving itself, but i wanted to see if anyone else is having problems or it is on my end.
Thanks,
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light,
Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 2 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 0
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 20

Re: Forum crashing?

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:02 pm

Not just you. Explained here.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ennervance » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Heh, Shado beat me to the punch. Yeah, we're all getting it - it's better than it was, and hopefully soon even the latency will be gone.
ennervance
Level 4

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:18 am

Update at 10:25 PM Eastern time:
One server is off line for repair, some servers are still overloaded, and other servers are up. Everything is progressing as well as can be expected. Many boards should see improvements at this time while others will still be struggling until the repairs are finished.
Please know that our team continues with the best possible efforts to get everyone back on line.

Some servers at freeforums are overloaded at the moment. This means that you will encounter white pages, alternating with extremely slow loading pages.

The databases themselves are almost repaired.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:29:44 AM by Chris »

Update 1:45 AM Eastern
« on: Today at 05:46:21 AM »
Freeforums:
our latest update came in a few minutes ago. The repairs are still running there, and some boards are still off line. Please rest assured that the servers are being worked on and the repairs will run throughout the night. We truly hope to have everything back to normal soon.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:40 am

Update October 15. 12:55 PM Eastern
Freeforums: One server is still confirmed down for maintenance. The other servers are confirmed up, but there is a serious slowness. This slowness is being investigated.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:57 pm

Update October 15. 5:10 PM Eastern
Freeforums:
Much improvement has been made but we're not out of the woods yet. However, a lot of boards are now back on line and should see considerable improvements in page loads compared to yesterday.

Considerable? Not really. page loads are a bit better so long as all you're doing is reading. Posting is still a major hassle with those annoying database errors over half of the time (and when that happens the topic updated process does not occur, so there is no indication or notification).

But at least the board is up and usable, however painful it is to work with.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:27 pm

I finally got their chief spokesman to provide us a reason for what happened on Monday:

We were not hacked.
An overloaded PDU resulted in a power interruption during a routine maintenance. The databases going off line caused data corruption. While most servers were brought back up very quickly, the ongoing repairs are responsible for issues such as server lags and slowness.

Which is, in many ways, a bad answer. It tells me that instead of having had a security flaw that was exploited, they had a bad hardware setup that caused a massive cascade failure of their server farm. Being vulnerable to a single-point failure (power disruption during a software maintenance cycle) is something that a proper plan would spot and design to prevent. An analogy would be a home user having his Windows OS trashed, rendering his computer unbootable, because power was cut to his computer in the middle of a Windows Update process (something that could be avoided by an inexpensive UPS).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Update October 15.8:50 PM Eastern
Freeforums: All forums should be back on line now. Slowness is still expected, but it should be far less severe than it was.

Wishful thinking on their part. A few minutes ago this board was back to its old snappy self and I was able to do edits/updates in my After the Fall game without any delays or glitches. Then I checked on the FF support board for the latest status update and tried to post it here. I was rewarded for that by the board going back to agonizing slowness and DB glitches. :evil:
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:52 am

Update 2:20 AM PM Eastern October 16
Freeforums: All freeforums boards are back on line. We are closer to resolving the slowness although at this time it is still an issue. You may also encounter some errors still after posting.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:59 am

Update 1:25 PM PM Eastern October 16
The slowness should now be gone at freeforums.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Kymrel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Are email-notifications working for anyone? I used to get them very occasionally even while the forum was at it's slowest, but now I get nothing. I have tried unsubscribing and resubscribing to different thread but with no effect. Assuming this is the case for everyone, do you guys have any idea when the notifications will be up again?
Kymrel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:45 pm

They do not currently work on any freeforums site. It's a problem that they were still working on last business day (Friday). Hang in there.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:27 pm

So that was a wild ride, Shado, following your thoughts on the issue with those messages from freeforums.
DoctorWho
Level 15

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Update 9:05 PM Eastern October 18

Freeforums: The lagging issue has been pinned down and is being worked on.
Email notifications will be worked on next.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Thanks for all the updates Shadow. It Helps knowing that things are being worked on.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light,
Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 2 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 0
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 20

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:03 pm

Yes, thanks for keeping us all informed - its good to know it's not just us.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:44 pm

Update 4:15 PM Eastern October 19

Remaining issues that are being worked on:

lagging issues on freeforums
No email notifications received on freeforums
Community messaging down on freeforums
some searches down at freeforums
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Kymrel » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:46 am

I have started to get email notifications again. So happy that I don't have to log in just to see if anyone else has posted. Still do it a bit out of habit though, can't trust the notifications juuust yet.
Kymrel
Level 1

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:55 am

Great news!
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Return to IRL