Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Far Orbit Project (OOC)

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Re: Far Orbit Project (OOC)

Postby DoctorWho » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Nah, Dune will take a back seat and let the Captain do the talking, unless he's asked a question or something eminently relevant to him arises.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby swrider » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 pm

I also don't need to RP anything while the capatian is around... not that any of my PCs are there. the only thing my PCs would really want to do is; Brenko will ensure replacement parts for the LB are purchased. He will probably do so out of his money if he has sufficient.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 4 Dark 3 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: May 24-25th
Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:52 pm

Spoiler:

Here Dune's roll to look for what I said.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:11 am

correction: 4eD+2eS 2 failures, 5 threat
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Net: 1 success, 3 threat

The good news: Dune can get the parts that he wants. The bad news: they take 3 weeks to arrive.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:04 pm

How long will we be at Dac?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:03 am

Less than a week. Probably only a day or two.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:46 am

OK.

Sorry, was busy yesterday. Got some stuff to do first, and then I'll post some stuff.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Proposal for your comment

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:11 pm

RL always comes first. You guys actually have lives. I still, vaguely, remember what that was like.

I'm considering creating a new PbP, something totally different than anything that's ever been done for Star Wars roleplaying, on even higher scale than the premise to this game. Before I put too much effort into it, and it would be a huge effort, I thought I'd sound out my two favorite players for their opinions and whether you'd be interested (time permitting, of course), before asking openly at FFG (where folks have a nasty tendency to rip apart any concepts that are too different than the norm). I'll summarize the basic concept below.

The game is played from the Imperial side of the Galactic Civil War. It takes place after the deaths of Vader and Palpatine. The game has three start options, based on player preference. One is for all of the players to be in the same faction and working together towards a common goal. Being Imperials, backstabbing is possible, if the players wish to have that sort of thing. A different start is for each player to be the leader of an independent faction, but for the factions to be cooperating with each other, more or less, with faction rivalries (type and degree) determined by the players. The last option is similar to the second, but each faction is out to destroy every other faction. Any alliances between factions would be fragile and temporary, at best. In all three versions, the fledgling New Republic (controlled by the GM, as well as other Imperial factions, also GM-controlled) are obstacles to survive and/or remove. Now for what sets this game apart from anything that I've seen tried before.

Each player (or the entire group) controls a star system with one habitable planet. It's an operational-scale game, not tactical. The player(s) is a Moff or lesser Admiral who has established a local base of power. The faction planets will have a small industrial capacity, enough population to support that capacity, and either a limited-services starport (Class D) or no better than a standard one (Class C). Each faction begins with a small fleet, comprised of an Imperial I-class star destroyer (the flagship) and various smaller support ships. The exact composition of the starting fleet may vary from faction to faction based on a points system, which I may import from some other game (perhaps Armada?). The players will be responsible for managing their resources and growing their power. Much like a 4X ("eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate") videogame, except that it's done through roleplay. What I have to do as GM, and it's a huge task, is develop viable rules for handling large-scale economics. Obviously, many existing FFG SWRPG specializations won't be applicable at this scale, but I think that each career has at least one that will work. And we can always create new talents to replace talents that don't work at this scale. Combats will be handled either using the normal tactical rules, or the mass combat rules, depending on how large the engagements are.

Depending on a character's build and role, they may either have Obligation, Duty, or both. For top dogs, Obligation is to other factions (such as the Hutt Cartel or Black Sun or rival Imperials) and Duty is to one's own "constituents". Players can be benevolent dictators, or vicious thugs (in fine Imperial tradition). Each has consequences.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:00 pm

It sounds interesting.

Alright, to the current game, so Dune won't be able to get his stuff. Do we need to roleplay the doctor stuff? Is there anything important that Dune/The Captain and Dune need to discuss with people?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Vedij has done what he needs to do on-camera. There's nothing really for him to do off-camera. There are no further upgrades that can be made to the frigate that won't ruin its cover as an Imperial ship. None of the medical stuff needs to be roleplayed. The only thing left is whatever you two players want to do here on Dac. There's a lot of recruiting/vetting that's going to be going on, but none of that needs to be roleplayed unless you want to. This is very likely the only chance that you'll ever have to interact with non-Imperials on their home turf, and have access to a place where Imperial law does not apply. Besides Nar Shaddaa, where the rules are very different.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Alright, I'll get a post up tomorrow after class. Dune will be looking around the city they are in.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby swrider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:51 pm

There is nothing that I really need on planet. Brenko wants to make sure the replacement parts for the LB are purchased. Orys would love to purchase an x-wing if possible, but it seems unlikely.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Your game concept sounds like it would make for a great computer game, but I am not sure how it would work as a RPG. My mental image has us in a room giving commands then just waiting for the commands to be carried out so we can respond to the results... It models real life but doesn't sound like it would be that interesting to RP.

May I offer a tweak? Perhaps the PC are the command group for an imperial sector that breaks away from the empire hoping to make their Moff into their own emperor.

I do not think I would be able to join in the game, Not for a lack of interest but for a lack of time. With me running two games and playing in this one adding another would be too much. Especially since I will be starting my master's degree back up in may and my wife is pregnant again.

Rider's Guild
swrider
Level 20

Postby DoctorWho » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Have you seen Pathfinder's settlement/kingdom rules?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/o ... -building/

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ulti ... ndWar.html

It's not perfect, but it's what a game company trying to do a similar thing put together. If you're looking for direction, Shado, I don't know if this is helpful but I figured I'd share it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:17 am

swrider wrote:There is nothing that I really need on planet. Brenko wants to make sure the replacement parts for the LB are purchased. Orys would love to purchase an x-wing if possible, but it seems unlikely.

Assume a replacement hyperdrive motivator is available. Cost is one-half the normal price of that attachment. Dac is one of the premier sources for Class One hyperdrives in the galaxy, BTW.

There is zero chance of getting an X-wing here. All Dac ship production goes to the Rebellion.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Proposal for your comment

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:51 am

DoctorWho wrote:Have you seen Pathfinder's settlement/kingdom rules?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/o ... -building/

It's not perfect, but it's what a game company trying to do a similar thing put together. If you're looking for direction, Shado, I don't know if this is helpful but I figured I'd share it.

TYVM. I haven't looked at anything d20-related, especially anything fantasy. I burned out on D&D over 20 years ago. But these Paizo rules are a great starting point and guide. It's a whole heck of a lot easier to take a system that someone else has developed and adapt it than to come up with something new from scratch.

Their gold to BP ratio is very low in comparison to not-too-dissimilar rules way back when TSR was doing the Spelljammer stuff and TSR had rules for PCs building castles and ships and other kingdom-ish type stuff. And it's way low when dealing with the scale of Star Wars. But that's okay. It's easy to increase costs by whatever factor (orders of magnitude) is necessary so that it lines up better with prices in SWRPG.

A more serious issue is that ship costs rapidly climb as ship sizes increase. Silhouette 5 warships generally cost 1-5 megacreds. Sil-6 cost 8-16, Sil-7 cost 7-25, and Sil-8 cost 50-150. The problem with these cost numbers is that while the progression is more or less proportional to size, the costs are not proportional to a ship's combat value, as measured by the point costs in the Armada game. A Nebulon-B is valued at 57 points. An Imperial-I SD is 110. In the Armada game two frigates may be able to put up a decent fight against a lone ISD. In roleplay, and in canon (based on what we see in Rogue One) an ISD can blow away a frigate without much of a sweat. So this presents a few problems. If the Armada combat values are "accurate", then for 17 megacreds Rebels can have more firepower than a VSD (85 points) costing 50 megacreds, and roughly the same firepower as an ISD costing 150 megacreds. This means that it makes more sense to build hordes of cheap light ships rather than few big ones. But that's not what we see the Empire do in canon. And the Rebels only use lots of light ships because they're cash/resource-strapped. Even the Rebels build big ships (Mon Cal cruisers) because those are the only ships that can go toe to toe with SDs. If I rework the Armada point values to reflect the credit costs of ships that only exacerbates the the cost/power ratio as then frigates become even cheaper relative to cruisers and star destroyers.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the Armada ship combat stats do not correctly reflect the RPG's ship stats, or what we see on screen (in canon). Let's compare an ISD with a Nebulon-B:

Code: Select all
RPG stats...
               Nebulon-B ISD
Armor              6      10
Hull              71     145
Shields, Fore      2       3
Shields, Flank     2       3
Shields, Aft       2       2

Fighters          24      72
Turbolasers       12      40

Armada stats...
               Nebulon-B ISD
Armor              -       -
Hull               5      11
Shields, Fore      3       4
Shields, Flank     1       3
Shields, Aft       2       2

Fighters           2       4
Turbolasers        3       4

As you can see from the stat block comparisons, in Armada a pair of frigates is comparable in power to a single ISD. But that's because Armada does not factor in armor whatsoever, nor the fact that an ISD carries triple the number of fighters of the frigate rather than double. When you factor in the ISD's armor and the much greater than 3:1 ratio in turbolaser firepower, the Armada combat & point values are seriously off. Either the ISD is undervalued or the frigates are overvalued.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Did you say if my protocol droid had been wiped, or if there was other stuff on it?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:11 pm

If that droid ever touched the deck of the frigate it would have had its memory wiped at Vedij's standing orders. No droid comes aboard, or leaves, with an intact memory. Droids that are wiped cannot bring aboard any viruses, and droids leaving the ship cannot divulge security-related information about the ship or its crew if they don't have any such data.

IIRC, you bought the droid and had it transported via one of the shuttles. Long before you bought the YT. That means the droid had to travel from Docking Bay 1 to the spar and the docking tunnel there, crossing a substantial portion of the ship and passing through several sensitive areas on two different decks.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:14 pm

OK, so it is wiped. Did I specify what model of protocol droid I bought, or did you specify what Dune could have found?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:22 pm

You didn't specify the model AFAIK, but you (IIRC) paid for a generic one from ECRB, which would be a 3PO-series. If you want a different model, the price and rarity change.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Nah, that's fine. I just need to pick a letter designation. E-3POs are expensive, C-3PO was a special built. What other designations are there for the series, I can't really find anything?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Every other 3PO droid ever mentioned in the old EU had a single letter, just like "C" did. That hardly seems right considering how many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of the damned things were built. R2s have the same problem (worse, since many more of them were made). Droids really ought to have at least 7-character designations, like auto license tags do.

Just make something up that you're comfortable with.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Maybe droids come out in waves, with thousands being R2-D2, or maybe the sub classification is given at purchase, not on creation?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Vedij will be staying planetside for most of the time you're on Dac. Who do you think is doing the recruitment interviews? The only exception is when Vedij takes a break and Roda comes down to take over while Vedij takes a sleep period.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Ah, ok. Well, the rest should be fine, I'll fix that.
DoctorWho
Level 17

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context