Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Far Orbit Project (IC)

IC Game Play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Re: Far Orbit Project (IC)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:20 am

The duty navigator is on the deck and isn't moving or responding. The helmsman, after he picks himself up off of the deck, belays his first instinct to go check on the navigator and follows orders, seating himself back at his station. Both SenCom officers resume their stations, one scanning the area around the ship, the other working to clear a comm channel for the XO.

The sensor officer reports, "Sir, sensors are not picking up any ship transponders. Scans are obstructed, though. We appear to be in a debris field of some sort. Sensors are unable to penetrate it. I'm picking up a strong gravimetric field, probably what yanked us out of hyperspace. It may be a collapsed mass, as sensors are not seeing anything as large as a planet or moon. Exterior radiation readings are also extremely high. Well into the lethal range for unshielded vehicles."

The helmsman states, "I have helm control, sir. Main thrusters are down."

The deflector control officer is also on the deck, apparently out. The engineering duty officer reports, "Shields are operational, Commander. Getting damage indications from all decks. Hull integrity is intact, but we've suffered some structural stress to the spar. Fires have been contained."
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:30 pm

As Commander Jan Brenko enters the bridge he overhears the status reports from the helmsman. Seeing Senior Commander Killiri has command he immediately moves to the wounded navigation officer and and deflector control officer to perform an initial evaluation, and if possible get them back on their feet and to their posts.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light, Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 5 Light

Days I will have limited Access to Post: April 17-28, May 15-18
swrider
Level 20

Postby DoctorWho » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Killiri gives a thankful nod to Brenko as he enters the bridge and immediately starts helping.

"Comms, shipwide channel. Lieutenant Jonafi, please contact the bridge, using channel X"

He moves towards the weapons station and checks the conditions of the weapons.

He moves back toward his station at the center of the bridge. "Comms, check in with our "shadow", make sure they have their shields up. Sensors, continue noting any information you can about our current situation, and start looking for the areas with lowest density of debris."

Killiri calls down to main engineering. "Thrusters are down, how soon can we have them operational again? How is the situation with the hyperdrive, is it still operational?"

Spoiler:
OOC: Again, sequential questions to NPCs asked all at once to allow faster responses
Last edited by DoctorWho on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby swrider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Lieutenant Pugnator moves to the nearest communication console from his current location and comms the bridge. "This is Lieutenant Pugnator. Your orders, Sir?"

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Main weapons and tractor emitters show offline. Ion cannons appear to be operational.

The comm officer responds, "Commander, we've lost contact with Legitimate Business. She doesn't show on sensors and subspace comms are jammed."
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby swrider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Commander Brenko orders the one awake and injured officer to report to medical. Then waits a moment for a pause before updating Commander Killiri "Sir, the deflector officer is dead. These other two require immediate medical attention. Communications, contact the department heads and have replacement crew sent up immediately, along with security to transport the non-ambulatory wounded to medical."

swrider
Level 20

Postby DoctorWho » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:50 pm

(to the comm officer) "Jammed on purpose, or seemingly natural jamming due to interference from whatever is outside us right now?" Killiri asks with an edge in his voice.

Brenko was doing excellent work, no need to micromanage there.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm

'Impossible to tell, Sir. Not in this environment. The mass shadow does not have the profile of an Interdictor, so on that basis my guess is that the jamming is coming from a natural source. But I cannot conclusively rule out an artificial source."
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:03 pm

"Alright, keep me apprised. Thank you."

Killiri takes a deep breath to calm his nerves. If they could get engines online soon, they would hopefully be able to at least move out of the debris field of whatever they were in. Hopefully there would be good news from engineering.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby swrider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Commander Tokan chimes in on the communications. "Bridge, Tokan." He says before being told to go ahead. "Sir, the hyperdrive is offline as are the ion drives and grav plating in several sections. We have managed to put out all of the fires, but I won't have repair estimates until we are able to identify what is causing the faults. Engineering teams are currently running diagnostics and visual inspections."

swrider
Level 20

Postby DoctorWho » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:39 pm

"Thank you, Commander Tokan. Keep me abreast of the situation, any new development I want you to report to the bridge as soon as possible."

Killiri ends the call and begins to speak with the bridge crew.

"As of right now we have no ion drive, no hyperdrive, and no tractor beams or main weapons. Shields are operational, as are our sensors in a limited fashion. However, I need all of you focused on your position regardless. Engineering, you are to remain in contact with Commander Tokan, to facilitate relay of any new information. Sensors, any update on determining the composition and density of the debris field around us?"
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 pm

"It's comprised of rocky material, sir, varying in size from dust and gas to shuttle-size. It's thick enough that we'd be pulverized if we tried to go through. And we're drifting closer to it."

The helmsman adds, before Killiri can ask, "Maneuvering thrusters aren't holding our position, sir. We're caught in the gravimetric field and we're being dragged in. Estimated time before our shields collapse ... nine minutes 48 seconds."
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:51 pm

"Open a channel to engineering. Mr. Tokan, we have less than 10 minutes before our shields collapse and we are inundated with a lethal dosage of radiation. I must impress upon you the importance of getting the engines back online."

All he could do now was keep things running normally, as long as possible.

"Commander Brenko, please head with security and locate the Captain. He hasn't tried to contact the bridge, nor has he arrived at the bridge to assess the situation. Coordinate with Lieutenant Jonafi to locate security personnel in the area that can quickly get here."
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby swrider » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:10 am

Hearing the XO's warning stirs the chief engineer to reassign resources, quickly focusing the entire staff on the ion drives. Breaking military protocol, he decides the matter it too urgent to waste any time and orders the nearest engineering staff member to acknowledge the order while he goes to assist Immediately. "Commander, Sir, Commander Tokan has asked that I acknowledge your order. He is moving to handle the matter personally." It is nearly impossible to tell if the tremor in the poor engineer's voice is from the quick approach of almost certain death or simply needing to call the XO of the Far Orbit. The XO outranked the junior engineer so completely a mere negative look could get the engineer fired or thrown in the brig.

Hearing Senior Commander Killiri's order, Commander Brenko snapped to attention, out of habit more than courtesy at this point, before shouting "Yes Sir!" and rushing out the door. His personal communication device extracted, and already contacting security.

swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 am

A short while later, Commander Brenko and two security officers locate the captain pinned underneath some crates on Deck 7, Docking Bay 2. Taking quick stock of the situation the commander turns to one of the security officers. "Run to the emergency supplies closet in the docking bay and get a medical scanner and a medical kit and get back here quickly. Go with him." As the two security officers are leaving Commander Brenko pulls out his comm and contacts the bridge. "This is Commander Brenko, We have located the Captain in Cargo Bay 3. He is currently pinned and unconscious. I will keep you updated. Brenko out."

swrider
Level 20

Postby DoctorWho » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:40 pm

"Lieutenant Santiago, please pull whatever data you can from the nav computer. If possible, I want to know where we emerged."

Killiri was sweating now. The ship was moving closer to the mass of debris, and alarms were still going off. This was not good. Hopefully Commander Tokan would be able to get the thrusters back online in time.

Several tense minutes pass, and the comm crackles to life with Brenko's update on the Captain. Hopefully the Captain was going to be fine; much as he wanted it, the captain's earlier conversation had shown Killiri that he wouldn't be ready for the position of captain. Not yet.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Irene replies, "Assuming that we didn't get thrown someplace at random, which could be almost anywhere in the universe, or not even in it, we should be roughly 35% of the way to Aquilae. That would place us somewhere near the Gacerian system, Sir."

She adds less loudly, but not quietly enough that it can't be heard, "That ... thing shouldn't be here." She looks equal parts annoyed and alarmed.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:57 pm

"You're saying that if our location is indeed as you projected, this stellar object is a new discovery?"

Curiosity tinged Killiri's voice. He wasn't an astronomer, but the possibility of discovering an entirely new thing in space was an interesting concept.

For a brief moment he forgot about the ship's impending doom. Only a brief moment, though.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Irene colors a bit more, "Yes, Sir. If it were in our nav computer we wouldn't be here, now. We'd still be in hyperspace." I don't make mistakes. "It must also be a substellar-mass object, otherwise the Imperial Survey Corps would have plotted it."
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:17 pm

"When we get out of here, we will need to make a note of this location."

Commander Tokan would need to hurry, there wasn't much time left.

Spoiler:
Knowledge Education for Recalling Physics stuff from schooling: 2eP+1eA 3 successes, 2 advantage, 1 Triumph
ImageImageImage

Mainly to see what he recalls about substellar mass objects and their impact on space travel and stuff, and maybe some specifics if I can use the Triumph to get some specific points kinds of substellar mass objects and how long they stick around if they are temporary.
DoctorWho
Level 16

Postby swrider » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:34 pm

The security personnel return to find Commander Brenko kneeling next to the unconscious form of the captain. A large metal pipe lying on the ground next to him. They hand the commander the medical kit and he extracts a medisensor trying to remember how to use it. He begins to scan the Captain hoping the he can correctly understand the readings.

swrider
Level 20

Postby swrider » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

"Grab that repulsorlift gear and attach it to these crates." The commander orders. As the final adjustments are made he orders the objects lifted, and pulls the Captain from underneath. Removing the Captain's blouse, he grabs two long poles and feeds them through the arms of the blouse. Ordering the security personnel to do likewise, he fashions a makeshift stretcher and lifts the Captain onto it. "Grab the other end, we are headed to Medical. You clear our path and comm ahead that the Captain is coming and requires immediate evaluation."

swrider
Level 20

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 pm

It takes an eternity, which in reality is a bit under five minutes, to get the Captain from Docking Bay 2, in the aft section of the ship, up one deck and across the spar, and then down two decks to the troop deck, also home to the medical bay (and Docking Bay 1). Once there, every passageway is jammed with injured crewmen. The casualties are tagged as "non-critical" with a mark in some sort of florescent green dye sprayed on to their blouses or bare skin, and the uncovered bodies of those that couldn't be saved.

A couple of minutes earlier, as Brenko and his team pass through the spar, the primary helmsman, Lieutenant Ross who'd relieved the duty ensign, yells out, "The mains are back up! Hang on!" The ship shudders and loud groans and creaking noises are heard from protesting structural members as the frigate heels over and attempts to pull away from the greedy grasp of the peculiar, deadly object all too close by.

Following the excited announcement by Ross, the senior lieutenant in Tactical contacts the bridge, "Commander, all weapons systems are back online. Diverting power to main thrusters."

Long seconds pass, the whine of overstressed turbines growing louder and louder — beyond the point where unprotected engineering personnel will suffer hearing damage.

Spoiler:
The ship suffers another point of strain as it attempts to break free. I need a ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Piloting (Space) check for Mr. Ross.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:49 pm

With quick thinking, Killiri orders Tactical to slap both tractor beams on the nearest asteroids in the accretion disk and push against them. Alas, this has no effect on the ship whatsoever, other than to drain power. Ross, dripping sweat from his brow, says, "The pull is just too strong, Sir. We've gained some time, maybe a few minutes, but we're still being dragged in."

Spoiler:
The ship takes another point of strain. The ongoing thrust has slowed the rate at which you're falling towards the hole. That's the good news. The bad news has yet to manifest.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:21 pm

The ship continues to strain against the inexorable pull of gravity. Subsystems overload in main engineering, blowing circuit breakers to prevent cascade failure. The ship shakes and rolls as if tossed about on a stormy sea, which is not too far from accurate if one substitutes space for sea and gravity for waves.

Lieutenant Ross reports, "It's no good, Sir. We're still being pulled in. ETA 'crush depth' in six minutes."

Spoiler:
The ship takes 3 strain.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

PreviousNext

Return to In Context