Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Emperor's Legacy

If you want to start a game, start a thread here first.

Re: Emperor's Legacy

Postby Rakaydos » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:26 pm

The request has been put in, waiting for a reply of some kind.
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby Rakaydos » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:27 pm

I posted some preliminary houserules now that the forum is up... they may alter your builds.
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby What » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:07 pm

I just realized I put quite a bit of XP into reflect, so I have to ask - is the no lightsaber restriction for starting characters or for the duration of the game?
What
Level 3

Highscores: 1

Postby Rakaydos » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:51 am

It's mean to reinforce the "you are not jedi, you're something else" themes of the game. Enemies may have lightsabers, but people will still look at you funny for having one.
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:42 am

Are you willing to house rule reflect working with other weapons or weapon independent (like dodge). There are a reasonable number of examples in the EU to support such actions, particularly given we won't have lightsabers. Same could be asked of any lightsaber-specific talent, for that matter.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Rakaydos » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:46 pm

I really want to stay away from any "jedi in all but name" builds- youre gonna have to sell me on specific examples.
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby Elium85 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Well, Bendo goes around punching people in the face with Shock Gloves so I think I'm OK there...

;)
Elium85
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:31 pm

So, what are you thinking, What? At least with Shien, Reflect doesn't gateway anything but more reflect - you could just stick to the parry side. Or, if you want to focus on the armor side of Jensaarai and Rakaydos lets in non-F&D specializations, you might consider gadgeteer from EotE.

Also, I note that gives us two melee-ers. Wonder if I should make another so we're not getting in each other's way, or go ranged so somebody has it...

Guess the other question is, if this ends up being a 3 player game, do you have any skills you'd prefer we (I) make sure are covered, or are particularly ok to leave out?
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby What » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:24 pm

Rakaydos wrote:I really want to stay away from any "jedi in all but name" builds- youre gonna have to sell me on specific examples.

I fully understand lightsabers draw attention - but, my current plan is keeping all "liberated" jedi lightsabers as trophies however, even if they have to stay on the ship in a locked box. Since he's already in heavy armor, I don't feel it's an implausible stretch to bill himself as a bounty hunter who specializes in hunting Jedi - especially since working for an Inquisitor, he basically is. :lol:
However, a personal use one can still be hidden, be it with skulduggery sleight of hand, shadow sheathes, or even just a concealing robe... which should be enough to stop casual identification, while still leaving the option for those aforementioned "enemies with lightsabers" or other "oshit" moments where having 16 ranks in reflect could really come in handy. ;)
I don't feel this leads to a "Jedi in all but name" situation due to differing philosophies - the Jensaarai began as a more neutral gray path of just wanting to know the truth with slight Sith leanings, and very quickly lost their true Sith influence, replacing it with anger/resentment. I see them as a real middle ground between Sith and Jedi - right and wrong aren't the primary concern driving their actions, it's doing whatever it takes to find out what's really going on.

I'm perfectly fine with not starting with a lightsaber, though as we start encountering enemies with them, or vast numbers of minions... If your intention is that the PCs will never ever wield a lightsaber of their own I can work with that, I'll just respec the character, but I'd like to know beforehand!
Edit: I just saw that you wanted one of the themes to be "Not Jedi, something else." Sorry I missed it! I'll start trying to think of something else, if my idea strays too close to Jedi for what you're trying to do!

Quicksilver wrote:So, what are you thinking, What? At least with Shien, Reflect doesn't gateway anything but more reflect - you could just stick to the parry side. Or, if you want to focus on the armor side of Jensaarai and Rakaydos lets in non-F&D specializations, you might consider gadgeteer from EotE.

Also, I note that gives us two melee-ers. Wonder if I should make another so we're not getting in each other's way, or go ranged so somebody has it...

Quicksilver - my plan is to fill out the artificer tree from my same career to represent the Jensaarai armor aspects, and then head into Shadow - I figure since that's some 600 XP down the road, at that point there'll be the money for cool toys like stealth fields and the like.

The current build is just setting up for down the road utility - the Djem So reflection does a lot to mitigate range penalties (basically allowing a free move action every time someone shoots at me), and Saber Throw isn't too much more XP away. This should give me, assuming favorable answers to the lightsaber question ( :lol: ), a very solid generalist combat base while I start investing more heavily in the sneaky-sneak skills and the Misdirect tree.

For some reason, the idea of someone in terrifying heavy armor just appearing behind the bad guy (good guy?) with folded arms and shaking his head disapprovingly just sits well.
Last edited by What on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What
Level 3

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Ah, I see, very cool. Also, good to know I should probably avoid the Artificer career :D . Quite a hefty plan for the future as well - a lot more thinking ahead then I ever do. ;)
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Rakaydos » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Judt a note, for dueling jedi, reflect is of limited use. Parry, on the other hand, works just fine- apparently swords are just as lightsaber resistant as the guardrails in cloud city. (One of the two places in the movies OSHA standards are met!)
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby What » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Rakaydos wrote:Judt a note, for dueling jedi, reflect is of limited use. Parry, on the other hand, works just fine- apparently swords are just as lightsaber resistant as the guardrails in cloud city. (One of the two places in the movies OSHA standards are met!)

Except that lightsaber will sunder your sword with only three advantage!

If this turns out to be a three player game, are there any skills you want us to have covered in specific?

Do you have an estimated start date?

Of the posted characters, assuming fleshed out backgrounds, do they meet with what you're envisioning?
What
Level 3

Postby Rakaydos » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:59 pm

8 advantage to completely sunder, actually. 2 to activate sunder, per level of damage.

I tend to run more off the cuff, running with whatever ttiumph/despair would be perfect. If you've read the Miles Vorkosigin books... yea. That sott of thing.

Dont have the skill? Roll anyway! Whats the worst that could happen? :)
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby What » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Rakaydos wrote:8 advantage to completely sunder, actually. 2 to activate sunder, per level of damage.

I tend to run more off the cuff, running with whatever ttiumph/despair would be perfect. If you've read the Miles Vorkosigin books... yea. That sott of thing.

Dont have the skill? Roll anyway! Whats the worst that could happen? :)

Is that a house rule I missed?
Page 170 of the AoR Core Book states one advantage per level, going from: Undamaged -> Minor (Setback) -> Moderate (Upgrade) -> Major (Unusable) -> Destroyed

I'm in 100% agreement about "What's the worst that could happen" though. :twisted:
What
Level 3

Postby What » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:36 pm

My google fu got a bit better, so I'm looking for input for character pictures!

Current
Option 1
Option 2
Option 3

I think the first one is too Jedi, but I like the concept of the robe over armor obscuring everything.
What
Level 3

Postby Elium85 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:02 pm

Well, #1 is my favorite but it's your character!
Elium85
Level 1

Postby Elium85 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Also, what are we waiting on to get started? What and Quicksilver, are you guys going to put character builds in the specific forum?
Elium85
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Got to finish mine and get Rak's approval first.

by the way, how (if in anyway) do we pay for mods to our attachments out the gate? Can we just assume it worked, or x credits per check or...
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Rakaydos » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:47 pm

...sure, pay up for automatic mods.

Lets see what the other characters are, then I'll throw up the first mission briefing.
Rakaydos
Level 4

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:14 pm

How much do they cost, I can't find it...
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Elium85 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:15 pm

100 Credits per additional mod on the attachment (page 187 in EotE Core).
Elium85
Level 1

Postby What » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:58 pm

Elium85 wrote:Well, #1 is my favorite but it's your character!

I agree! It's ominous without screaming "Sith." I'll update it!

Rak, does my character look good to you? I didn't want to go to the effort of fleshing out a backstory if I'd end up having to rebuild the whole concept!
What
Level 3

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:07 pm

The cost, per RAW, for extra mods is dirt cheap. The only real restriction (unless a GM ups the cost) is that the difficulty check to apply the mod grows rapidly harder beyond the first one. The more mods you stack (up to the allowed limit for that attachment), the more likely it is that you won't be able to succeed at the mechanics check.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby ennervance » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:52 am

Have the basic build posted - still need to pick equipment and write up the background.
ennervance
Level 4

Previous

Return to Game Listings