Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Dirty Vince (Strike Force Isk)

Initial Character concepts can be posted here prior to a new game's sub-forum being created.

Moderator: GameMasters

Dirty Vince (Strike Force Isk)

Postby DeepSpacer » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Character Name ... “Vince”
Species ... Human
Career ... Diplomat
Specialization ... Agitator
Duty ...
Eyes ..., Hair ..., Height m, Weight kg
Characteristics
Brawn 2, Agility 2, Intellect 3, Cunning 3, Willpower 3, Presence 3
Soak Value 2 (2), Wounds 12, Strain 13, Defenses 0/0
Skills ... (pts) Charm 1, Coercion 1, Deception 2, Kn:Core Worlds, Kn: Lore, Kn: Outer Rim, Kn: Xenology, Kn: Underworld, Leadership 1, Negotiation 1, Streetwise
General Skills: ... (pts)
Combat Skills: ... (pts)
Knowledge Skills: ... (pts)
Talents ... (pts)
Equipment ...
Encumbrance … 0/7
Offense …
Experience:
Credits … cr
Points Spent: Attributes + Talents + Skills + Specializations
Appearance
Background
Personality
For the lack of a better name at the moment…”Vince” will do. I plan to come up with a better one later.

It is said that when Vince was working for the mining guild, he once blew up a tunnel full of workers when the miners refused to meet the demands he made on behalf of the guild. The truth may actually be something different, but no one knows for sure.

Vince is an older human male with a rough appearance with graying hair and a beard. When upper management calls him a “dirty Vince”, they’re not talking about hygiene or licentious behavior, but rather his willingness to take on “any dirty job”. Not everything the Alliance does is squeaky-clean and sometimes morals must be compromised. On their end, they’re willing to look the other way so long as the job gets done. Vince never minds, it’s just another dirty job to him. Threats, trickery, and, perhaps, even some charm from time to time gets the negotiation done. To be sure, his bark is worse than his bite, and some of his rough reputation is self-created. He prefers that his enemies think the worst of him. It give him an edge, he believes. The Alliance inserts him into situations just long enough to resolve it and them move him along to another system.
DeepSpacer
Level 8

Re: Dirty Vince (Strike Force Isk)

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 pm

This is a totally mediocre build. IMO, generalists suck. There's no good reason to take Intellect 3, as it does nothing to help your career skills. Willpower 3 is also questionable. Not to mention that you spent 120 XP when a human, with 10 bonus from Duty, only has 110 XP to spend.

The party needs a face more than a melee expert, but I could never in good conscience favor this design over that of Rico's. Rico is a far better character, and that's before you make my suggested changes to Rico.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:16 am

Yeah, it's tough to be good at Charm, Negotiation, AND Coercion (Pres/Cun/Will). And SO much of the Agitator's Talents come from Coercion, hence, the 3 Will. Agitators get a lot of Knowledge skills, but like most campaigns, they probably are of little value during RP. I will build more on Rico. Thanks.
DeepSpacer
Level 8

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:04 am

I hope you realize that you can build a face using a different spec than Agitator? You can use all of the books.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:05 am

Yeah, FFG very clearly spread out social skills and abilities, as well as their linked attributes. It's very hard to make 1 face that's good for any social encounter even more then it is to make a warrior who can handle any combat encounter.

If you want to go agitator, I'd focus specifically on their strengths, which is Coercion, Deception and Streetwise. You can still take a point or two in charm and be decent, but really you're not here to make friends, you there to interrogate, threaten, and counter threats. It's a different play than a traditional face.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:48 am

One issue that I have (amongst several/many) is that what an Agitator is good at is also what the Empire is renowned for: bullying and lying. It's just not the way that we expect Rebels in the Star Wars setting to operate, sinking down to the Empire's level and using the same tactics. What's the point of winning if you become what you hate?

Also, Streetwise is great for finding underground contacts, but the Agitator is not ideal for the corollary skill of Negotiation which is what one uses after one finds the people one is seeking. And the Agitator's other key skills of Coercion and Deception are certainly not the sort of skills you'd want to try more than once on any planet. Being an ******* earns you a bad reputation that spreads far and fast. It's more commonly known as burning bridges.

Yeah, it's possible to build a viable "anti-face", but I really have to question its suitability in a team of Rebels and how effective such a character can be compared with going with a more traditional "face".

But to return to a more crucial concern: Having a melee expert is always useful. One can do astounding damage with a properly modded edged weapon (such as getting a crit on every hit, which guarantees at least one dead minion per 'hit'). And there will be plenty of combat in this adventure. OTOH, the current party is lacking having someone who is skilled at handling social encounters. I won't say whether such a hole will cause you any problems in this adventure, even if I made the effort to review all of the module's encounters once again. I just had to point this out. Again.

But I really meant it when I said to play what you feel comfortable with. If that's a melee beast, so be it. They are a lot of fun to play, I'll freely admit.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DeepSpacer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:37 pm

That was the trick of it: playing a Rebel good-guy who has a reputation for tip-toeing the line between good and evil.....perhaps even crossing it every now and then. A good example? 'Dirty Harry'. "
"(Civil) Rights? Well I'm all broken up about that man's rights."
"But what about the rights of that 14-years old girl? Who fights for her?"

No, I was only considering AofR. Pickings are 'slim' in that military-style book for a face-type character.
Edge opens up a whole new series of possibilities. I made a Colonist long ago, but I'm thinking now that an Ambassador gets a few more talents that I like in the way that it fits the location we are starting in.
DeepSpacer
Level 8

Return to Character Review