Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Character Creation and Gameplay

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Character Creation and Gameplay

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 am

This game will employ the beta Edge of the Empire rules for the new Star Wars RPG from Fantasy Flight Games. It will be set during the Rebellion Era, sometime between 2 BBY and 2 ABY (I'll decide exactly when later).

I'm learning the game system just as you are, so please bear with me and let's all cut each other ample slack. If anyone has suggestions for making our game better, including proposed House Rules, please always feel free to speak up, but do not ask me about running the game via IM, Skype, or any other non-forum means.

Special Rules:
  • There will be no less than 4 and no more than 6 PCs
  • No Force-sensitive characters
  • Only the species listed in the rulebook will be allowed (yes, I know this sucks)
  • House rules will be forthcoming as I learn the system
  • Starting location yet to be determined
  • Most non-restricted items of rarity 6 or less are available for purchase during character creation (no flamers!)
  • You will be expected to reply to posts directed to you or your character within 24 hours, unless you have special circumstances and you inform me about them ahead of time.

Characters:
  1. Teknon - Titus Blackmoor, Human Smuggler
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Character Creation and Gameplay

Postby Teknon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:57 pm

I'll give it a try.

I'm thinking a Human Smuggler (Pilot/Smuggler). I'll work on getting a write up posted as I get a chance.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby Teknon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Titus Blackmoor is up for approval.

I posted him originally in the Character Review section since there is a good likelyhood that I made some mistakes. Take a look at him when you get a chance, and let me know what you think.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby Thespius » Thu May 16, 2013 5:16 pm

If you're still interested in this, I'm willing to pick up the book after my paycheck clears. It'll take me a while to create a character though.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon May 20, 2013 9:46 am

Hi Thespius!

Yes, I'm still interested in this (as well as resurrecting my Saga games). There's no rush, so take your time and do things when it's convenient for you.

Please don't be shocked or dismayed if it takes me a few days to reply to posts or emails. I currently don't have internet at home, so I'm using public Wi-Fi at local eateries a couple of times a week (typically Mondays, and Wednesdays or Thursdays) to check emails and submit coursework for my online college classes. If AT&T is cooperative (and I can afford it), I may be able to get home service restored come mid-to-late June (after my student financial aid gets deposited into my bank account).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Thespius » Fri May 31, 2013 8:20 pm

So my paycheck was smaller than expected, and the book cost a bit more than I thought it would. May take more time for it to be wise for me to spend the money.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:46 pm

The book is, IMO, not reasonably priced.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Thespius » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Yeah, just paid rent, another two weeks before my next paycheck. Will not have the book before then, I'll give you a better timeline when I have a better idea what that check looks like.

And yeah... the book is a way too pricey when it's basically a third of a well rounded system, IMO :(
Thespius
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:14 am

Out of idle curiosity, how're things going on getting the book, Thespius? I never saw a reply to my last PM to you...
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Thespius » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Hey guys, I'm getting through the rules as fast as I can. Have a big move coming up at the end of the month and I'm unsure of whether I'll have a job where I'm going so I'm picking up extra hours and saving up until then.

I'll be reading through it whenever possible and try to get a character up before too long. Sorry for the absence/lack of updating.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby Thespius » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:54 pm

k-x4-trial-by-fire-t131.html

K-X4 is up for view. Not complete, but I'll be working off and on throughout the day.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby Teknon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Yay!

Now I need to work on Titus' background.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:49 pm

My apologies for not responding sooner. I just this morning noticed that you guys had posted something recently. After weeks of no activity I had stopped looking at this forum every day. Guess I need to get cracking and examine your characters.

Thanks for staying with this!
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Teknon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Thank you for staying with us!
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:09 am

Tek's character fills the role of "trader" (negotiator) in a small party (though his negotiation and charm skills should have been maxed IMO). But that's the price paid for having lots of talents: something's got to give.

I have doubts about Thespius' character. Playing a droid in the Rebellion era may be problematic as there is a lot of anti-droid sentiment left over from the Clone Wars of twenty years prior. An armed droid is going to be unwelcome in most places. His equipment list hasn't been posted yet, but I would be surprised if he had no weapons given his skills and likely intended role.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Thespius » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:52 am

I'm giving second thoughts as well. Droids are sort of the ultimate min-max characters in this system it seems, and I tend to like more rounded characters (especially in unfamiliar systems). I"m going to have something else up soon I think.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby Teknon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:11 am

That's a good point Shado. Looking at Titus, I could probably take a little more obligation to increase one or both of those skills. Let me look into that.

EDIT:
So, I can max out my Charm and Negotiate but, like Shado said, I've got to give something up. Right now, Titus is built as an honest business man who has started to dabble in the seedier side of the galaxy. If I were to not buy the Scoundrel talent tree (Giving up the "Black Market Contacts" talent and the "Ranged (light)" skill) he would have the XP needed to buy the 2nd rank in both skills. This would leave him with no combat skills, and leave him as just an honest business man. In some ways I like this idea as it would allow me to Role-play his movement from a by-the-book honest trader to a smuggler. I don't like the idea of not having any combat skill, especially in a small party, but I could, and would have to, pick that up as the game progresses.

I could also take +5 Obligation and drop the Black Market talent to get the XP to increase one of the skills (but then you have the question as to which one)

Either would be a viable option from a Character and RP standpoint, but I'm not sure which would work best in a small party and I'd like some feedback before making any changes. Also, if there's a different combination of changes to get the needed 20xp that would make sense, please feel free to propose them
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Please don't take this as my trying to force anything on you guys, but you guys should take another look at the sample characters that I posted. I created them as one concept of a balanced party of four. Each one fills a particular role: 'face', healer, tech, and gun-bunny. IMO, these four roles must be met by any player group that hopes to be successful. A character can try to fill more than one role (at the cost of being less effective at any given task because they're spreading themselves thinner), but any group that is missing one or more roles will be hurting and may find themselves at a loss for viable options in some circumstances.

What we really need is a couple of more players to join this game. Barring that, you may want to consider playing two characters apiece. Otherwise I will need to very carefully consider how to tailor adventures for just the roles that you can cover. Not having a healer is dangerous, but can be dealt with. Not having a gun-bunny may just compel you to try to avoid fights. But the face (which you've already covered) and tech roles are must-haves for any sci-fi game.

With regards to Titus, were it my character I would increase Obligation to get the points to improve Negotiate and Charm, dropping BM if necessary. BM is nice, but being better at skills that you will be using a lot is, IMO, a surer bet.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Thespius » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:17 pm

I'll create something more fight oriented, and take the tech pre-gen. I like making my own characters, but if I run two, I'm more than happy to take a pre-gen.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby Thespius » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:33 pm

edited post to a new character build.

EDIT: All Sarkh is missing is his background details. May take some time, I'm a little rusty at Star Wars characters, but he's ready for review. http://nemeses.freeforums.org/post3233.html#p3233
Thespius
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Thespius, If you're planning to play the Human Mechanic/Outlaw Tech that I genned as a second character, then you'll need to do the same for him/her that you did for Sarkh. IOW, make the character your own.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Teknon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:10 am

Sarkh moved to the database.

I'm thinking a doctor type for a second character . . . When I get a chance.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby Teknon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:48 am

So you're thinking the doctor/gadgeteer for a second character Thespius?
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby Thespius » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:00 pm

:oops: ... I just realized I moved the doctor instead of the mechanic. It was early this morning for me, and I just started without checking which I said I'd take. I'm happy to grab the mechanic instead if you want the doctor
Thespius
Level 2

Postby Teknon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 pm

I has a doctor started. I could do a mechanic, but the doc was a new concept for me that I was looking forward to.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Next

Return to Out of Context