Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Character Creation and Gameplay

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: ShadoWarrior

Re: Character Creation and Gameplay

Postby Thespius » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:27 pm

No Problem. I'll change it soon to mechanic.
Thespius
Level 2

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:22 am

Tek, any chance that you'll finish your characters soon? Thanks (very much) to Thespius, I'm ready to start this as soon as you guys are.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Thespius » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 am

:/ Any updates?
Thespius
Level 2

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm planning on buying the rulebook for this game within the next couple days, are there any spots left open?

Also, how would the odd symbol dice be rolled. I seem to remember hearing of an app/website with a roller for them, but I can't recall where.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:16 pm

You can play either the doctor second character that Teknon has yet to submit or, if you can convince Thespius to part with him, the mechanic second character that Thespius rebuilt. I'd prefer that you take the doctor. If Teknon remains unavailable, I may have to drop him and have you take both the doctor and the character that Teknon has already created. Teknon is going through some personal problems and I've been giving him a lot of slack, but he's still posting in other games and ignoring this one (along with not responding to PMs), which I can only let slide for so long.

The rulebook has a table inside that converts standard dice results into EotE special rolls. Since I was planning on rolling being done via IC, we'll have to use those conversions. Clunky, but it's what we have to work with. Unless you know of an IC-like website that can generate EotE dice rolls.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm

I will look for an online roller.

I might be able to do it, and a Doctor was just the character I wanted to play. Give me till Sunday to see if I can get the book and skim the rules.
Give me several minutes after posting, my post will probably have some minor edits done it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby Teknon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Orokos.com has Edge of the empire dice functionality (it's not the easiest to read, but it works).

I apologize again for my lack of action on this game. My other character is on my thimb drive, and I've not had time to work on him.

If DoctorWho can take the doctor, it would be really good for me - I don't think I could find the bandwidth for two characters right now.
Teknon
Jedi Master

Postby ShadoWarrior » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Teknon wrote:Orokos.com has Edge of the empire dice functionality (it's not the easiest to read, but it works).
I've just tested this and it does indeed work, although the site appears to lack the functionality that IC has that allows a GM to search for rolls made by players. Not that I expect to have any problems in this game as I know all three of you are trustworthy. :D

Teknon wrote:If DoctorWho can take the doctor, it would be really good for me - I don't think I could find the bandwidth for two characters right now.
If you think you cannot handle just one, please let me know now, before the game starts, rather than later, as making adjustments is by far easier at the start than in mid-adventure.

BTW, speaking of life taking a turn for the worst, the A/C in my house stopped cooling this afternoon and I'm now baking in 88-90 degree temps at home. It's 15 degrees hotter inside my house than the air temperature outside. Compounding this is that I don't have the money to get a service guy to come out and top off the coolant fluid (which I'm sure is the problem, since it hasn't been serviced in the 6 years since I replaced the entire A/C system). So I'll be roasting ad infinitem until I either figure out how to pay to get this fixed or I end up in the local hospital (which, given my current health, is not the joke you might think I'm making - I'm not joking at all).
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:26 pm

I currently have the same problem. The dorm room I'm in, and the floor it is on, has no A/C. The rest of the building does, we don't. I was up all night sweating to death, no bueno.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:26 am

How do Obligations work? I working up a Doctor character, to help me learn the rules, and obligations aren't making sense.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:44 am

Obligations are EotE's (simplistic) version of the advantage/disadvantage character creation mechanic that other game systems have. Each character will have a minimum amount of Obligation (10 per character for a group with 4 PCs) and during each adventure there is a 1 to Party Obligation (ie.: 40+) chance that someone's individual Obligation will kick in and affect that adventure. For example, let's assume that no one in a group of 4 PCs took any extra Obligation, and the GM rolls a 35 on 1d100. Player 4's Obligation (which triggers on a roll of 31-40) kicks in. If that player's Obligation is Debt, say, then the Hutt he owes money to will come looking for him to collect payment. Which might entail the players having to deal with a bunch of thugs or a bounty hunter.

The more Obligation a player takes, the greater the chance that there will be some sort of complication/interference with their mission by outside forces that may or may not be related to their mission (depending on which Obligation is triggered). Just so you know, even if you take zero extra Obligation for your doctor, this group already has a total Obligation of 70 (%). So the odds are already in favor of Obligation kicking in. OTOH, taking extra Obligation does give you more money and/or points to spend to better equip your character for the challenges that await him. If you want a weapon and/or decent medical kit you really have no choice but to take on extra Obligation as this game does not provide starting characters with enough credits, unlike all other Star Wars RPGs. How much extra Obligation you take, if any, is your decision to make. I'd advise taking at least enough extra to get the gear you'll need. Look at the sample doctor NPC I posted as an example.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:59 am

So I have to take 10? The list didn't look that long.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Also, the character will be posted up today. I went with generally the same stats as your example, but took Talents instead of a second specialty
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:08 pm

No. 10 is the base amount of Obligation your character will have if you decide to take no extra Obligation. If you take 5 extra Obligation, for example, to get an extra 1000 credits of starting cash, then your character's total Obligation would be 15. Teknon, for example, decided to take a whopping 15 extra (as much as both of Thespius' characters combined), giving his character a total of 25 Obligation, incurring a huge debt with a rather nasty crime lord.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Alright, I think I get this. I have one obligation, and it has a cost (or whatever it is called) of 10, and I increase the size of the obligation value to gain extra stuff. Is that correct?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Correct.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Ah, ok. My obligation is 15, if you want to add it to your list.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Your character's Obligation is Addiction. I'll decide whether it's alcohol, stims, or gambling, depending on how you write his/her backstory.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 pm

That might work, though if anything it would probably be an addiction to blood.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

An addiction has to be debilitating to the character, not just objectionable to people around him (like bloodlust). EotE has no playable vampiric races, sorry.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:30 pm

No, not Vampiric. Never mind, I'll have my story up in the next couple minutes. I'll edit the stats in later, along with equipment. I have it all finished, I just want to check it over before I post it.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Character is up, I'm just finishing stats.
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Your backstory needs to include how/why your character became an addict. Becoming a stims addict is not something that happens overnight.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Sorry, that's what I had typed up already last night. I will mess with it and add why she is addicted.

So she is addicted to stims? Alright, I'll buy a couple for her.

EDIT: Do I role up my motivation, or can I choose it to go with my backstory?
DoctorWho
Level 17

Postby ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 pm

DoctorWho wrote:EDIT: Do I roll up my motivation, or can I choose it to go with my backstory?
You roll your motivation based on the tables on pages 94-96. However, feel free to adjust or reroll if what you get randomly doesn't make sense. (For example, the first Obligation that I rolled for you was Obsession. While Obsession would have been okay, I felt that my second roll of Addiction fit your story better.)
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Context