Welcome
Welcome to nemeses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A New Beginning

OOC discussion of ongoing play

Moderator: Quicksilver

A New Beginning

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:48 pm

This will serve as the OOC for this RP segment. Please continue to use the other thread for finalizing characters and other questions.

As a first note, I have deliberately not placed anyone other than the Rogue Trader (Lord Lunation) who would be on the shuttle. This is his first (official) arrival to his ship. All other character can start at either location.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Re: A New Beginning

Postby ShadoWarrior » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:15 pm

My character (still WIP) would be aboard the Usury's Reckoning. Jak, along with an appropriate greeting party (whatever that is in this universe's setting), will be waiting for the new RT at/near the airlock.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Carch » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:37 am

the greeting party would probably depend on the preferences of the rogue trader dynasty. but usually that'd be the senior officers, an honour guard of household troops (depending on wealth and/or taste with gold plated weaponry etc). beyond that.. it could involve almost anything. ceremonial drinks. informal drinks. handing over the command baton to signify the change in command (which, sometimes contains the command codes for the main bridge stations).
given we're technically very heavily armed civilians, almost anything is possible.
Carch
Level 1

Postby Grimgit » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:26 pm

I imagine as a recent dynasty acquisition who doesn't actually know anyone yet Guido is in the main ship.
Grimgit
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:28 pm

You guys are free to post in the IC :)

If anyone wants to play out their position, thoughts about what is about to happen, choice of clothing, what have you.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby swrider » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:51 pm

quicksilver,
how will missions be handled? is it up to me as the rouge trader to come up with the missions? are they assigned by the dynasty headquarters? will they be passed through another member of the crew? I understand this may vary over time, so I am mostly worried about this first mission.
Machitis Pugnator, Orys Nor, Jan Brenko
Orokos
FoF Destiny Pool 2 Dark 4 Light,
Op.S Destiny Pool 2 Dark 2 Light

Freighter SS taken 2, HT taken 0
IMP Customs SS taken 4/18 HT taken 33/28
swrider
Level 20

Postby Carch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:53 pm

given the state of the ship. I think the first mission is going to be 'fix the ship'. at least that's going to be my advice.
Carch
Level 1

Postby swrider » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:55 pm

Carch wrote:given the state of the ship. I think the first mission is going to be 'fix the ship'. at least that's going to be my advice.

Only if we have available assets to fix the ship.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby Carch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:00 pm

well. one thing we can fix. low crew. that's easily fixed. put it at port wander or any other inhabited place and *cough* 'arrange' for new ratings. willing or otherwise. from there depending on how serious the damage is we can do most of the stuff ourselves. these ships are designed to operate for a year or longer without any contact with the imperium after all.

one thing the imperium is never short on: raw manpower.
Carch
Level 1

Postby swrider » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:03 pm

I would assume a requisition for more crew had been made and that we have all the crew that Quicksilver will allow us.... BUT

Quicksilver,
is it possible for us to re-crew the ship? If so is that something we can start roll playing? or is it something that will happen in the background?
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:53 pm

In the interest of not getting to bogged down at the beginning, I've assumed that the ship has been both re-crewed, and repaired to the extent available at the moment. The Usury's Reckoning has been in and out of repair docks at Port Wonder for a bit over a month (the time it took Comenzar to get there from the family estate elsewhere in the sector). The bosun & purser (NPCs) have done their duty of ensuring there are moderately competent people on board to operate the ship.

Missions can come from a number of sources, including PCs, NPC contacts, Imperial officials, or in your case, the Family. To give a starting point and generate some momentum, the first 'mission' will come from your Father. I'll introduce it after this section. After that you can look for hooks where you want.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby swrider » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Thanks for the clarifications
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby Potato » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Right, posted in the IC. Goes without saying that Eustace was with the senior officers.

Also it's not impossible that Comenzar has already met Eustace before.
Potato
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:41 am

If anyone else wants to drop in a line for their character, please do so. Otherwise we can conclude this and move along.

P.S.

The Navigator (similar as in Dune) is a position held by an individual with the rare (mutant) ability to look into the Warp and not go insane. This makes them the only individuals capable of effectively navigating warp routes and FTL travel. Without a Navigator on board, you would need to stick to well mapped or safe routes and micro jumps. Because of this unique utility, Navigator Houses are extremely wealthy and powerful.

Astropaths are (essentially) extremely long range telepaths that operate in a way somewhat akin to a psychic email system, with each astropath relaying the message in the direction of it’s intended recipient. This is the Imperium’s only form of FTL communication (other then sending a ship). Because all the messages pass through so many hands, they are usually put in some kind of cypher.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby swrider » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:02 am

If no one else wishes to post then Comenzar will move to receiving his message.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby DarthSmeg » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:54 am

Sorry for being late to the party!

In my background-story I wrote a blurb about being personal pilot for the Trader. If that's cool with everybody I guess I could arrive in the yacht with Lord Lunation (hell, I'd probably be flying the thing).

Otherwise I could have been flying the late Captain, and find myself currently uncertain of my future position.
DarthSmeg
Level 1

Postby swrider » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:19 am

a few questions.
what type of on ship communications are there. i.e. intercoms, communicators, email etc...

Comenzar has quarters I'm sure, but does he have an office or a state room or something like that... how about the Captain?
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:49 am

All officers (as well as a few NCOs) have cabins, while the ratings are in dormitory or barracks set ups depending on department/rank/location/importance/etc. Middle-officer cabins often have a separated bedroom, quickly becoming akin to small 1-bedroom apartments. Upper officer cabins are typically 3-4 room affairs, and are designed with attached steward quarters. The Captain would have the large end of this (3 larger rooms, maybe 5) and room for a couple of stewards/assistants. As Rogue Trader, you have what amounts to a mini-mansion, designed to potentially support a family with all noble comforts (study, withdrawing room, dining room, sitting room, etc). As this was once a Navy Vessel, those familiar with navy construction (of if you do a little research), one can tell some upper officer quarters were expanded post-navy, the Captain is in the Navy Captain's Cabin, and the Rogue Trader's Cabin was constructed entirely out of an unrelated section. (Also of note, the astropaths have a tall tower at the top of the bridge to help remove them from the telepathic 'noise' of the rest of the crew, and the Navigator has a large cabin-office-observatory-cartography studio complex off to one side of the bridge.

Inter-ship communication can happen a couple of different ways. There is a wired phone network that runs through a servitor (cyborg-droid) operated switchboard for direct communications. There is an overhead page system (that can be limited to particular sections) and video-feeds to main public areas. (This would be how you gave your speech to the crew, this is also a post-navy add on). Lastly, you can always call for a kid to run a message for you.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:30 pm

On another note:
Jake, feel free to assume you flew the Florin in. If you are the Lords personal driver/pilot, you're probably housed with the servants for the RT's Cabin so that your readily available. Depending on his needs, you may also be called upon to drive him to different sections of the ship if he needs to go somewhere other than the bridge.

Researching the Svard Endeavor will be a hard (ImageImageImage) Know. Koronus Expanse check. Alternatively, a formidable Education check to brute-force-research it, or upgraded, hard Streetwise to ask around.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby ShadoWarrior » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Captain Jak will issue orders to move out, and orders to whichever PC is appropriate to do the research.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:23 pm

I will point out that while you can fly around system, you can't (safely) go to Warp without your Navigator, who's still two days away. Your ship is also still in "docked" mode as it were, so it'd take at least a couple of hours to get everything secured, squared away and make sure everyone's onboard.

You'd probably also want to do the research while your still at Port Wander and have access to their facilities, otherwise you would only be able to look over records/research materials stored on the ship.

Under Jak's command, you'd probably be ordering a secretary for the library/paperwork division. Eustace may also be a good person to perform the research, though whether she's under Jake's command is another issue – under 'standard' set up, she wouldn't be (She's not in the ship/military CoC, instead being finance) but you may desire to do differently. If you do use an NPC, they'll have
a ImageImage roll.
Quicksilver
Level 12

Postby swrider » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:20 pm

We should definatly wait fro the two days then... Actually it doesn't appear we have a choice. We should make use of the opportunity to do the research. Whoever is best at the skill should use it. IC validation would be the captain just assigning it to the best person or possibly to multiple groups even.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby Carch » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:28 pm

hrm.. tried to figure out a post before I had to go. but I'm leaving for a holiday for 14 days today. so I'll see you all again on the 20th! my internet is probably nonexistant in greece, so I'll definately be out of touch.
Carch
Level 1

Postby swrider » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:34 pm

If no PC rolls in the next day or so I vote we go ahead and use an NPC to keep the game moving.
Orokos

swrider
Level 20

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:15 am

I'll put up a departure & research results post on monday. If nobody's rolled by then, i'll have a NPC do it. Also, enjoy your holiday Carch!
Quicksilver
Level 12

Next

Return to Out of Context